Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

Oh geez! What happened to him? Where is he?

BuringPenitentEngine is the forgotten player... the betrayed video maker, the buried FE Hack Reviewing Guy!!!

EDIT: Just finished watching Revengeance Part 3.

Badly Aliased John Cena!? More Castlevania music!? Pack it up, guys, this Ragefest is decided.

Edited by Avraxas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured I'd leave some notes and clarifications on some stuff Marc mentioned in the videos so far. These only discuss stuff in the first 3 parts (should someone read this by the time part 4 is out) so spoiler warning if you haven't watched the videos or plan to play the hack yourself.

• The Paladin reinforcements in the first section (where you only have Marc and the Fake Lyn) are triggered by any unit standing on the pillars. The reinforcements that spawn behind you appear on certain turns. In hindsight I would have probably tied some text to these instead of them appearing out of nowhere.

• There's a key hint in the first section that the "Lyn" in your party isn't the real Lyn. She has a Dark affinity. Kinda sad about how few people picked up on that.

• The Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow music was ported with Zahlman's Song Editor. It allows for easy ripping and re-inserting of soundfonts from other games that use Sappy. The downside is that it takes up a good chunk of space, but since this is just a single chapter hack it wasn't a problem.

• Purple isn't from Different Dimensions Ostian Princess, he's admittedly an in-joke between some friends of mine. A friend of mine created a cleric named Purple once when we were discussing trying to do some sort of Fire Emblem tabletop game. I included him because I thought the player's team needed a dedicated healer, and I knew it'd amuse my friends at the bare minimum.

• The scene that plays when you visit the village where you recruit Santangelo is different if you visit it with a male unit, a female unit, or Manphia.

• Similarly a different scene plays if you visit Sophia's house with a unit other than Marc. That said this scene is pretty uninteresting and simply serves to tell the player to come back with Marc.

• Manphia's growths are meant to be the opposite of Sophia's. Any stat Sophia excels at, Manphia has a low growth in, and vice-versa.

• There is a Guiding Ring in the chapter, Marc. I'm genuinely surprised you managed to miss it, it's not that hard to find :U It and the Heaven Seal are the only promotion items available iirc

Once all four videos are out I might make a "bonus features" video of some sort showing some of the minor things Marc missed, and stuff like death quotes and battle conversations, assuming Marc doesn't show that stuff off in the last video or for some reason would wanna go back and show that stuff off himself.

Edited by HeyItsKyo

I decided not to edit this one much. Most of what was cut was footage where I get stuck, or just redundant stuff. However, I will say I left in the hang ups I faced near the end., if mainly cause it... wasn't too bad to watch?

It's really hard for me to tell what people are willing to sit through, but I think this is acceptable.

Video's 40 minutes by the way.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

wew, now that it's over I will talk about it.

1) really good job kyo, in fact so good I am salty as fuck. pour me in water and you will have an ocean because it seems many people like it. Enjoy my bitter tears.

2) sometimes I really hate the way you play mark, the submission had so many shops that just screamed "GOOD IDEA TO BUY SOMETHING HUH?" and you just...ugghhhh. I really love the fact kyo punished you by putting tough baddies on shops when it became clear you should really buy something.

anyway ign 9/10

Yes, yes, I know. I shoulda done A LOT of things with this submission, Night. >.<

I think if I wasn't playing on camera, I'd have done things differently. Problem is I don't want to waste viewer time, so I gotta keep plowing on ahead. Not only that but... erm... when you play FE ROM hacks, you sort of develop weird expectations. Like, sometimes I just assume restore staves are in shops just for decoration. =(

If I replay the submission and do one of my "super runs" or whatever, I'll do MUCH better than in the video. That, I assure you.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

I love how everybody is just ignoring Captain Engrish having even remotely a chance haha.

Honestly I'm not too sure myself when I think about it, because while ℱ⋆ℰℵℰ is made in FEXNA and all it's... Well it's made for sadism and it's meant to be as fucking mean as possible and I feel it's not something Marc would actually enjoy. So... I mean, I don't really know. It's also got the power of spectacle going for it, too, but Char ain't exactly a writer, and I didn't help her with the writing because reasons.

probably not

I mean, I'm not giving my full contest thoughts just yet--I've seen many versions of Wolfram's game, but don't know specifically what the latest one has in store. But I will say that I still think this is the "best" submission. Which is fine by me, since I didn't set out to make the best, just the hardest, though now I see that the more desirable level of difficulty is...Well, about what Kyo did. Likewise with writing, and even the lack of art, this game really felt like it hit all the right notes of the contest.

I'm still in it for strategic sadism, though~! Through the power of FEXNA, I added some things to certain things that should make them pretty tough to deal with on both the planning and execution levels.

man i loved emblem warriors. i seriously wish an entire side hack series of that game was made, where improvements like ally units going out to capture other forts. (the generals.) and multiple chapters. heck, mabey even selecting a small army to beat the huge wave of enemies. sadly i doubt anyone would make such a hack, but i can dream.

regardless i'm voting for ether emblem warriors or this hack. (or both.)

Edited by Thany

I love how everybody is just ignoring Captain Engrish having even remotely a chance haha.

We win and loose that's how the contests work.

We had fun making the game for those 9 months and we'll see how it's gonna come out when Marc will play it.

Next submission will be made in my own FEXNA .

We'll see you Marc in Ragefest VI or VII by that time.

Well I am a big fan of Castlevania so I really enjoyed watching this submission, gonna play it myself too.

So that's all I have to say for now, good opponent, I am impressed.

Waiting for my submission Marc! Don't be scared and wussy about the sacred challenge I have made.

We win and loose that's how the contests work.

We had fun making the game for those 9 months and we'll see how it's gonna come out when Marc will play it.

Next submission will be made in my own FEXNA .

We'll see you Marc in Ragefest VI or VII by that time.

Well I am a big fan of Castlevania so I really enjoyed watching this submission, gonna play it myself too.

So that's all I have to say for now, good opponent, I am impressed.

Waiting for my submission Marc! Don't be scared and wussy about the sacred challenge I have made.

It's important to be confident in your submission Wolfram as we did work alot on it but try not to be too cocky. Don't want to skyrocket Marcs expectations. It's important to have a little modesty. Edited by Orange Scarlet

And here is a rough summary of the stream.

d**kmaster and the chat crusade

HALBERDIERS HALBERDIERS HALBERDIERS HALBERDIERS HALBERDIERS

Markyjoel1990, the Marktyr

Jeff the Monk, who likes My Little Pony, held an epic and very anticlimactic battle vs Ephidel

Heroes are Halberdier Mk. 2s

Strafing in FEXP is now known as Cantoforce

The halberdiers were trained by the NPC Hero

To the NPC Hero: "Don't f**king play with your food" -Markyjoe1990 2016

KIRBY/CHARLOTTE IS THE MOST BROKEN UNIT IN THE EXISTENCE OF FIRE EMBLEM. Even more broken than....SIGURD. AND 3-13 ARCHER!

THIS IS A MESSAGE FROM LORD PURT. I WILL AWAIT YOU AT BREAD ISLE.

Edited by RandomSwordmaster