2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What team do you root for again?Anyway, I dunno, something less crass and more league neutral. I really don't want to make the thread title biased.

Jets fan. And yeah I was (half) joking about the Seahawks thing. I find it funny that their bandwagon seems to be deserting them. Anyhoo, the Gaints have often off to a bad start it looks like. 3 picks from both QBs already, seems like an ugly game. I'll probably put it on when I get back home.

Hmm well the league is very polarized this year. There are only 10 teams with winning records, but still 5 undefeated teams.

Picks for next week:

Seahawks at Niners- Seahawks defense has looked shaky and the Niners have been looking better on offense- but I think these teams return to form a bit here.

Bills vs. Jaguars- Even with the Bills having Taylor injured, Watkins possibly injured, and an underperforming defense, playing the Jaguars can cure many ills. Jags never look good in London anyway.

Steelers at Chiefs- Ben may or may not play here. I don't think it matters much since the Chiefs can't do much offensively without Charles.

Texans at Dolphins- Both of these teams bounced back this past week, though the Texans still didn't look good on defense. I like the 'new attitude' Dolphins at home.

Falcons at Titans- Mariota may or may not be out. I don't think it matters much, since the Titans are a bad football team with or without him. Falcons laid an egg last week, but I think they can get back on track.

Browns at Rams- Browns have the edge throwing the ball, but the Rams are at home after a bye with a strong defense and running game. I think they can get it done here.

Bucs at Redskins- My first time this year picking either of these teams to win I believe. I think the Redskins are more solid defensively, despite Cousins being pretty bad.

Vikings at Lions- Peterson is banged up and not playing at his best and the Vikings are not a strong passing offense. Lions seemed to have figured out how to get the ball to their receivers and are at home.

Saints at Colts- Colts managed a pretty decent effort against the Patriots and I think Luck can have a big day against a questionable Saints defense.

Jets at Patriots- It's been a good year so far for the Jets, but the Patriots at home have been unstoppable for several years. That's hard to pick against.

Raiders at Chargers- Bit of a tough game to pick, since both teams feature pretty good passing offenses with questionable secondaries. Going with the home team.

Cowboys at Giants- Giants were pretty terrible on Monday, but I still don't trust the Cowboys without Romo or Bryant and a suspect defense. Maybe Matt Cassel is an improvement over Brandon Weeden?

Eagles at Panthers- The Eagles seem to be getting things together, but the Panthers showed last week that they're the real deal- especially surprising on offense.

Ravens at Cardinals- Cardinals throwing the ball against this terrible Ravens secondary is a huge mismatch.

Jets fan. And yeah I was (half) joking about the Seahawks thing. I find it funny that their bandwagon seems to be deserting them. Anyhoo, the Gaints have often off to a bad start it looks like. 3 picks from both QBs already, seems like an ugly game. I'll probably put it on when I get back home.

J-E-T-S WOOP WOOP.

Hope we at least make it a close game against the Pats. Still can't decipher the Bill tho.

The Jets match up quite well with the Pats imo. Chris Ivory looks like the best back in the league, the secondary is experienced, and the interior DLine has the ability to dominate the Patriots' rookie interior OLine. It'll be an interesting game without a doubt

Edited by chococoke

Raiders at Chargers- Bit of a tough game to pick, since both teams feature pretty good passing offenses with questionable secondaries. Going with the home team.

I'd argue but fucking Flowers man, he's been giving up a lot and Addae keeps getting hurt.

We just extended Flowers for 4 years for like almost $7 million a year and he's given up like 10 TD passes.

With Weddle hurt I can see why too.

Wilson has played alright. Our corners have been playing wonderfully outside of Flowers but I still wouldn't call our secondary questionable. We're like somewhere in the Top 10 in passing defense still this year iirc (need to check later) and were like 8 last year.

Edited by ~Summer~

Interesting picks, Cynthia. Now it's time for mine. :)

Seahawks vs 49ers: Yeah, while the Seahawks have had a lot of trouble hanging onto leads, the Niners are just bad (Ravens had no business losing to them, imo... xP). and they're going against a good defense here.

Bills vs Jaguars: Bills have some key injuries right now and their D has suddenly gone downhill. And Blake Bortles and what's his name...Allen Robinson? Are looking like a good pair lately. The Jags defense is still decent too.

Vikings vs Lions: The Lions seem to have figured themselves out, and as Cynthia said, Adrian Peterson is banged up. Lions are at home too.

Saints vs Colts: The Colts are just better, I think, and they're at home.

Steelers vs Chiefs: I can pick my guys again! I feel safe doing so this time, because 1, the Chiefs don't have Jamaal Charles anymore, and 2, the Steel Curtain defense looks to be revived at last. Travis Kelce could be tough to handle, though, and the Steelers are still using a 3rd string QB now (Christ man... if Ben isn't back for the Bengals matchup...), so I don't expect it to be a blowout or anything.

Texans vs Dolphins: The Phins look cleaned up after their interm coach came. And they're at home. The Texans are still bad too.

Jets vs Patriots: That Jets D could give the Pats a run for their money, so I think it'll be close. But it's hard to pick against Tom Brady and his squad at home.

Browns vs Rams: This Rams D held a fairly healthy Steeler offense to just 13 points. And that's no joke. The Rams are at home too. The Browns don't stand a chance.

Falcons vs Titans: The Falcons somehow shit themselves vs the Saints last week, but they're still much better than the Titans, I think.

Buccaneers vs Redskins: Basically what Cynthia said, the Skins look like a safer pick because defense.

Raiders vs Chargers: The Raiders look rather competent again for a change, but I think the Chargers are a bit better seeing as they came really close to upsetting the Packers in Lambeau.

Cowboys vs Giants: Eli, Eli, Eli... You're just not on your game lately. You'd have to change your playing a lot to win this one, I think. Matt Cassel isn't as bad as Brandon Weeden anyway. Weeden's an immature dope too. The Boys have also shown that they can win without Romo or Bryant (though this surprised me).

Eagles vs Panthers: Pick against these Panthers? At home? Not happening. lol

Ravens vs Cardinals: The Cards just fell apart vs my Steelers, but they're still plenty better than the Ravens. And they're at home.

Also, I don't remember doing a three-things-to-know for the Cardinals last week (did I? If not, I must've completely forgotten...), but here's this week's edition for the Chiefs.

Three Things to Know vs the Chiefs

1. If Ben is going to get snaps as well as Landry Jones, KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE DOING, HALEY/TOMLIN. The Chiefs have some good defensive linemen and the Steelers' o-line has lost two starters now. And this team can't afford to have Ben's knee aggravated.

2. Keep Travis Kelce in check. The Chiefs may be without Jamaal Charles, but this guy is still around. The Steelers D needs to work on getting better vs TEs too. One way: don't give Alex Smith a chance to throw to him. Pressure the hell out of the guy if you need to.

3. Landry Jones can't make the same mistakes Vick did. Vick's timing was off during too many crucial moments despite that Vick-tory vs the Chargers. Landry has to get the ball out fast and be protected as much as possible so the Chiefs' defensive line can't affect him too much. One more QB injury here and this team is probably finished (for the game, since Ben may be back the week after). We don't have another QB to use. We only have WRs that were QBs in college, one of which is AB. And speaking of him, he needs to make plays again, god damn it.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, Robinson is good and Hurns is good too...Julius Thomas also making some nice plays. Bortles still throws too many picks compared to last year, but yards and TDs are way up. The defense is just way suckier than last year...we do have some injuries but it's still just terrible.

Football Outsiders puts the Chargers at #15 against the pass. They are worse against the run though at #30. Doesn't seem like a good defense to me. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Edited by -Cynthia-

Huh, they must be really different from last year then, if what you say is true... That Jags defense held the Steelers to a low score last year. Though there might've been other factors given the Steelers' record vs the "bad" teams back then. Although, I did say "decent" instead of "good" for a reason. :P

On another note, Chris Boswell is special teams player of the week! Yeah, a STEELERS KICKER got that honor, who'd have thunk after all the kicker problems we've had lately. Such irony. But Boswell is DA MAN when it comes to kicking FGs! He's so good, he's more accurate than Justin Tucker right now, lol lol lol (Tucker missed one in the last game, Boswell was perfecto).

GAME DAY.

Let's go STEELERS! Please crush those god damn Chiefs. And please, NFL, stop making the Steelers play them... At least for now. That's like three years in a row...

Oh yeah, I should see if the Steelers are on TV.

EDIT: Ah, forgot to update... They're not on TV here, sadly. :( In fact, they hardly ever are now. The only way they would is if they played Thursday, Sunday night, or Monday night, it seems. Sigh...

Edited by Anacybele

Welcome to my life. Only the Bills could let in 4 TDs in a total of 7 minutes.

I'm really trying not to cry, even considering that TD pass that EJ just threw to Woods.

Well, going into the half with 10 unanswered points? I'll work with that. There's a lot of time left and we're only down by two TDs.

Edited by Jim Moriarty

If there's any team in the AFC to give up a 14 point lead, it's Jacksonville. Though I'm a little surprised at how effective TJ Yeldon has been up to this point... and of course he's sitting on my bench in one of my leagues.

Amazing goal line stand and then EJ drives down the field. Looking at 2nd and goal at the 8. If we punch this in, I'll be so happy.

AND... we threw it. Again. And this is another mediocre season.

Why do I feel surprised? Am I a bad person for wanting my team to be good for once?

Edited by Jim Moriarty

I dunno why we even give it to Gerhart anymore, he never gets above like 2 yards per attempt.

Did our defense just stop somebody to seal a victory? Is that a thing that just happened?

Edited by -Cynthia-

Well, stick a fork in the Bills. Rich Gannon raises a terrific point though: why the balls is Greg Roman calling plays that roll EJ Manuel to the left in the most high leverage situations? Does he understand anything about basic body mechanics? It's baffling to me that you would want your struggling QB to throw across his body when the game is on the line.