2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

Actually, Ana, I have a question that is right up your alley.

Give me your honest opinion on Bud Dupree. Strengths, weaknesses, everything.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, sure. He looks like he has potential. I mean, he's shown to be able to get past some o-lines to the QB. His first ever sack was on Brady for crying out loud. I hope he's learning from James Harrison. Harrison is 38 and still sacking QBs.

I think Bud's strengths are more in his speed than his size, maybe. He doesn't look very big compared to some other LBs.

Edited by Anacybele

Oh, sure. He looks like he has potential. I mean, he's shown to be able to get past some o-lines to the QB. His first ever sack was on Brady for crying out loud. I hope he's learning from James Harrison. Harrison is 38 and still sacking QBs.

I think Bud's strengths are more in his speed than his size, maybe. He doesn't look very big compared to some other LBs.

What about his endurance? Is he an all down LB? How's his zone or is he just an edge rusher?

I want all the details on this dude. No matter how small it might seem.

Edit: Ana, you gotta have more than "he sacked Brady" which tells me nothing.

Edited by Pharoahe Monch

I would say he's just an edge rusher. His endurance... He did sorta fade away after a little while and admitted that he got exhausted or something, so he does need to work on endurance, I suppose. He only played like half a season, so I think this is all I can tell you.

Edited by Anacybele

I would say he's just an edge rusher. His endurance... He did sorta fade away after a little while and admitted that he got exhausted or something, so he does need to work on endurance, I suppose. He only played like half a season, so I think this is all I can tell you.

What was the status of the Steelers LB corp last season? Was it stretched thin? If not, then I need to change my opinion in my argument.

I have my thoughts about that (as in it's fucking stupid) but anyone else want to weigh in? Let's not forget that Tyrod went 8-6 last season and was 20/6 in TDs/INTs for his first starting season.

I'd hold off on declaring Tyrod the QB of the future just yet. Small sample size means that things could go downhill in the second season pretty quickly.

I'd hold off on declaring Tyrod the QB of the future just yet. Small sample size means that things could go downhill in the second season pretty quickly.

Don't say things like that when your QBs have been a long list of Rob Johnson, Alex Van Pelt, JP Losman and Trent Edwards since the last decent guy.

That shit scares me.

I believe they clocked in at 11th in sacks, so they weren't bad.

*sigh*

This is why I think you're a superfan with no actual knowledge of the game.

Sacks are not the measuring stick of an LB corps. In fact, the vast majority of sacks are credited to the DL because the LBs create pressure that can't be picked up properly, allowing for either a drop in coverage or a mismatch.

When I asked about how thin the squad was streched, I meant things like injuries or how gassed the corps was due to offenses breaking through to the second level. And it wasn't even a hard question.

Edited by Pharoahe Monch

*sigh*

This is why I think you're a superfan with no actual knowledge of the game.

Sacks are not the measuring stick of an LB corps. In fact, the vast majority of sacks are credited to the DL because the LBs create pressure that can't be picked up properly, allowing for either a drop in coverage or a mismatch.

When I asked about how thin the squad was streched, I meant things like injuries or how gassed the corps was due to offenses breaking through to the second level. And it wasn't even a hard question.

Hey, the last season was months ago. Do you really expect me to remember every single little thing from it right now? And I guess I also didn't know exactly what you were trying to ask.

Edited by Anacybele

Hey, the last season was months ago. Do you really expect me to remember every single little thing from it right now? And I guess I also didn't know exactly what you were trying to ask.

No, I think you pretend to understand football on an advanced level and we end up exposing you.

I even tried to respect your knowledge of the Steelers and you showed me a lack of understanding when it comes to the sport. So that's why I say that you're a superfan with no real knowledge.

Also, you have no problem with arguing that Roethlisberger is elite based on the last few seasons (where you reference specific instances) but when I question you on an entire group of players, you blank? Make up your mind.

Edited by Pharoahe Monch

No, I think you pretend to understand football on an advanced level and we end up exposing you.

I even tried to respect your knowledge of the Steelers and you showed me a lack of understanding when it comes to the sport. So that's why I say that you're a superfan with no real knowledge.

...What? I never said I ever had an advanced level of knowledge. I wouldn't say it's newbie/novice, but definitely not advanced. More like in between. I've even said so in the past that you and Lord Raven and probably everyone else in here know more than me.

...What? I never said I ever had an advanced level of knowledge. I wouldn't say it's newbie/novice, but definitely not advanced. More like in between. I've even said so in the past that you and Lord Raven and probably everyone else in here know more than me.

Then stay away from topics like "Roethlisberger is elite". You're never consistant with your stances.

Also someone who acknowledges Brandon Marshall as "just another guy" probably has a pretty novice view of the NFL, because he's been a pretty fucking great WR ever since he was on the Bears.

Then stay away from topics like "Roethlisberger is elite". You're never consistant with your stances.

Yeah, I realize that. But when I change my stance, it means I've learned I was incorrect on something and am trying to actually be correct and learn more. This is a reason I'm in this topic, because I find people like you and Lord Raven are great teachers on this stuff, even if you're not actually trying to be. I know way more now than I did the first time I ever posted in an NFL-related thread here thanks to you guys.

EDIT: I never said Brandon Marshall was just another guy or anything. I'm sure he's pretty good if he wants to make this bet with AB. I just never see him come up in topics of the best WRs or elite WRs. Those always end up being AB, Julio Jones, OBJ, Dez Bryant, Jordy Nelson, etc.

Edited by Anacybele

I appreciate the praise even though I come off as a dick a lot. If you can see past that, then you can pick up a lot.

Edit: You can add DeAnthony Hopkins (or whatever the fuck his first name is) to that WR list. Dude is a monster.

Raven, post something. I have a rant I really need to get out and I want it on the next post.

Edited by Pharoahe Monch

I took this from the BBMB but it echoes my thoughts on EJ Manuel.

How did he get a free pass? He was handed the job in year 1. Everyone can act now like Kolb was going to start but that was never set in stone. After injury 1 to EJ, he was out played by Thad Lewis. Rather then shut EJ down for the rest of that year, they put him back in where we saw EJ put up 2 of the worst performances I have ever seen by a QB. (Pit and TB) At the end of that season it was clear he needed a ton of work on his mechanics and more time in a film room.

They tried as hard as they could to supply no competition for the job in year 2. Brought in nobody and Handed him that job. Then we watched EJ blow a charger and Texan game that showed how little he had improved and then a street free agent walked in off the couch and out played him.

Last season He was outplayed by both tyrod and Cassel, so Whaley cut Cassel to get his boy a helmet on Sundays. Then after Cassel came back, Rex kept using Cassel as the 2, so Whaley traded him. EJ comes in for 2 games that completely alter the direction of our season and losses a game to a Jacksonville that we could have won with a punter playing QB. Of course we bring in nobody to back up tyrod after that because once again EJ gets a free pass.

This year again, bring in no vet QB to challenge EJ for the 2. Instead we Draft a long term "project" QB. If that QB is given a chance, he will out play EJ, just like all the others. The sooner this guys contract expires the better. I have never been more tired of reading or hearing about a player in my life. He was over drafted, has high school level footwork, jr high accuracy and will never be anything in this league. I can't wait until it's over

For fuck's sakes.

EJ is quite literally a QBs nightmare. More than Alex Van Pelt. More than Trent Edwards or Brian Brohm. Hell, even Rob Johnson was better than him.

This is why I envy a lot of you guys. You at least have solid QB situations. This was my past 3 years and that's not including the other 8 starting guys since Kelly not named Doug Flutie.

Once again, thank you Baltimore for giving us Tyrod Taylor and thank you Joe Flacco for mentoring the guy.

I appreciate the praise even though I come off as a dick a lot. If you can see past that, then you can pick up a lot.

Edit: You can add DeAnthony Hopkins (or whatever the fuck his first name is) to that WR list. Dude is a monster.

Yeah, I do try to see past that, believe me. Not many people actually take part in this thread other than you, Lord Raven, Cynthia, chococoke, and myself, so...

That's DeAndre Hopkins. lol Yeah, he's beast considering what QBs he's had throwing to him while he put up numbers.

Edited by Anacybele

Meh, DeAndre Hopkins' numbers have been inflated because there's no one else on the Texans to throw to. I guess it's still impressive that he puts up those numbers through a lot of likely double coverage, but it's something to keep in mind.

Edited by -Cynthia-

I would think that would be a point in his favor. He's had garbage QBs throwing him the ball (and will continue to have one doing so this season,) and he's the only legitimate receiving threat on the team.

Well it also inflates his numbers somewhat due to his huge number of targets. Receivers on other teams may have been targeted less, but done more on average with each play they were thrown to. Allen Robinson for instance, didn't have as many catches or yards as Hopkins, but he had a higher yards per catch average and more TDs. Football Outsiders doesn't seem to think Hopkins was the best of the best last year. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Robinson's numbers were also put up for a team that won 5 games (and should've won 4.) He had the benefit of garbage time to rack up his insane numbers. Hopkins did it for a playoff team and being the focus of every other team's defensive game plan

Yeah but the QBs didn't really progress past their first read and lobbed it when they were in trouble. It's double edged.

He is an excellent route runner. Short of a freak injury he will have a great career.

Edited by Lord Raven

Robinson's numbers were also put up for a team that won 5 games (and should've won 4.) He had the benefit of garbage time to rack up his insane numbers. Hopkins did it for a playoff team and being the focus of every other team's defensive game plan

Just because the Texans won more games doesn't mean that they had less garbage time. The Jaguars only has 2 games last year where they lost by more than 2 scores, the Texans had 3. And Hopkins put up some pretty big numbers in this garbage time, 9 catches for 157 yards in a game where the Falcons were up 42-0 in the 4th quarter. So...not really buying that argument.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Without looking too much into it, I'm assuming that a team trailing late will be throwing nonstop and a team leading late will be running out the clock. There are honestly arguments that go both ways lol