2017 NFL Playoffs - Super Bowl LI Confirmed! Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots!

Lord Raven

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but he had dudes like Moss and Welker to throw to with a defense that could hold its own. Their strength of schedule went from historically hard in 2007 to historically easy in 2008. In 2008 they played the NFC West (which had the 9-7 Cardinals as winners, 7-9 49ers, 4-12 Seahawks and 2-14 Rams - this was actually the middle of the Rams having one of the worst stretches in NFL history). They also played the AFC West with an 8-8 division winner, the 8-8 Broncos, 5-11 Raiders, and 2-14 Chiefs.

Their only tough opponents all season were the Steelers (the Patriots got decimated 33-10) and the Colts (they lost 18-15). They were second in their division of course, to the Dolphins who had an even easier schedule due to not playing the Colts/Steelers, they split the 9-7 Jets (who had Favre with a broken thumb for half of it), and the 7-9 Bills who went 3-9 to end the season (Patriots played them both times). Cassel basically had everything handed to him on a silver platter and basically lost 7 games compared to the previous season, 5 if you only count regular season - and a 5 game differential is not at all trivial.

The 2007 Patriots had a pretty incredible defense and offense that a lot of QBs could've found success with. As it stood, with Brady they broke a ton of records.

Who do the Pats have now that even compare? Gronk and Edelman - but Edelman doesn't compare to Welker in the slot or Moss as a #1, and Gronk has health issues. Their rushing offense was ranked 30 last year, and their RB situation is still kinda sketch with James White and LeGarrette Blount leading the way. Their defense is looking okay but nothing particularly amazing either. The only thing Garropollo has over Cassel is that he actually started in college, whereas Cassel had never actually started since high school.

Edited by Lord Raven

Which is an excellent point... except you forgot the bit where Garropollo is much better than Cassel and was drafted to take over Brady.

If Cassel was on this version of the Pats, then they'd have cause to worry.

The point I was making was that the Pats aren't going to be in trouble because of Garropollo. I want to get Choco's opinion on this (because he knows the Pats better than we do) but I remember him grumbling about the secondary and coverage all season long last year.

I think Garropollo is very unproven right now and it's not really safe to say how good he is or isn't. I don't completely buy that he was drafted to replace Brady, I think he was just drafted based on BPA at the time (since that's how Belichick does things - BPA and versatility). I'd be cautious if I were just about anyone.

Pretty sure people were saying similar things about Mallet too, and now he's a backup in Baltimore behind someone who he's not going to replace short of nerve damage to Flacco's ligaments.

Edited by Lord Raven

Is it sad that I kinda want the Dolphins to beat Tennessee on Saturday? I mean, the Titans did really well against the 2nd place team in the NFL last week, but they really need to see just how much they need a good coach Or just hire back the coach of the LA Rams.

They're grooming two now actually, with the addition of Jacoby Brissett this past draft.

I'm actually not worried about Brady being out the first 4 games. There's still a lot of talent around Jimmy G on the offense. Gronk is one of the greatest TE's of all-time, Marty is no slouch and is a beast after the catch. Edelman is incredibly effective and Chris Hogan is another versatile piece who can play in the slot or outside. The run game will certainly be a concern; however, I put a lot of last year's struggles on the musical-chairs offensive line. The interior of the line looks significantly better than last year's squad, even with a rookie (Joe Thuney) likely starting at LG. Blount has looked spry so far this preseason and I actually expect the team to add a RB after final cutdowns.

Jimmy has much more talent than any of Cassel, Mallett, or Hoyer. I also do believe he was drafted as an heir-apparent to Brady. The offense he ran in college involved many short-intermediate passes, which is the one thing the Pats have done well on offense the past decade (except for certain times they got shit on in the playoffs)

Moving to the defense, I think the Pats might have the best overall unit in the AFC. I definitely was VERY worried about the secondary last season, and while they weren't perfect by any means, Malcolm Butler proved that he has what it takes to be a #1 corner. McCourty is a decent safety who typicallt doubles whoever Logan Ryan is covering. Pat Chung has been an absolute revelation since coming back from Philly, and I'm excited to see what Cyrus Jones has to offer while covering the slot.

Obviously, they still own the top LB combination in the conference, so hopefully both of those guys can stay healthy. Despite the loss of Chandler Jones, the defensive line is insanely deep and versatile. I don't know what Mingo has to offer but I do know that they have a ton of edge defenders who can rush the passer and also drop into coverage. The interior D-line is a nice mix of of space-eaters and athletic/disruptive types.

Throw in a special teams unit that's typically among the best in all of football and there's a lot of reason to believe they'll be among the final 4 teams once again. Any number of things can happen to screw things up but I the depth on this team is pretty incredible.

He's on that wack hair grind

Oh god, I love Kaepernick, but his hair style is... Not going to cut it (no pun intended lol). I picked him up as my QB for fantasy, and have E.Manning as well.

Anyways, Giants rookie QB Logan Thomas looked promising w/that 79-yard drive. Not to mention Bobby Rainey rushing stats weren't too shabby. I honestly thought Pats were going to blow out Giants for the pre-season game, but then again it's pre-season.

He's my only bias pick, my offense consist mostly of the Giants + a few 49ers receivers, w/other players on various teams, and I surprisingly picked up JJ Watt 2nd round of picks. I'll make due w/him tbh, but I'm debating to let Frank Gore start for me. I honestly think Gore would be great, Colts gave him so many drives last season and he's a pretty good RB.

53 man roster ready for the Bills. And let's do the cut run-down.

Wilder Jr. - Acceptable, terrible vision.

Beirmann - Eh.. sure?

Manny Lawson - Now I'm scratching my head but let's see where this one goes.

Dez Lewis - But... why? Who's the #3 receiver? Little got cut already...

I don't know what to think.

Just ordered a Steelers hat for the new season! This...is actually the first one I'll ever own. lol Lately, I just got a sudden interest in hats, I dunno why. Well, beanie hats and baseball cap type hats, anwyay. :P I mean, I got three beanie hats over last winter (one Disney Frozen themed, one Christmas themed, and the other a generic bright blue one. I only got that third one because my stepdad complained the Frozen one kept staring at him through the mirror in the car lol), a Carowinds hat while at Carowinds back in May for my birthday, then I got a basic flower-pattern hat just to have a nice baseball cap that wasn't geared towards a particular place or media or whatnot, now I'm getting this one. lol

It's a youth hat, since I can fit them a little better than adult ones due to being small, that's geared towards girls with a flower-pattern. Can you tell I like floral designs? lol

I'm still a Panthers fan too, yeah, but for now, I'm good with just having Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly jerseys for that. :P I'm a Steelers fan first. And believe me, it hasn't been easy to pay equal attention to both... I keep forgetting about anything Panthers-related due to being so used to looking for Steelers stuff. xP

Edited by Anacybele

He's my only bias pick, my offense consist mostly of the Giants + a few 49ers receivers, w/other players on various teams, and I surprisingly picked up JJ Watt 2nd round of picks. I'll make due w/him tbh, but I'm debating to let Frank Gore start for me. I honestly think Gore would be great, Colts gave him so many drives last season and he's a pretty good RB.

what, i hope you got ODB at least, because don't the other Giants receivers suck dick

(i have eli btw)

what, i hope you got ODB at least, because don't the other Giants receivers suck dick

(i have eli btw)

ODB was a must, I picked Cruz as well (cross my fingers he doesn't get an injury this year). My last Giant's player is Will Tye (who was probably the best TE I could get during my pick and he's eh). I'm def going to give him up and look for someone like Martellus Bennet or someone a hell of a lot better. Straight up, the rest of the Giant's offensive game is total ass, but their O-line has been absolute shit for the past couple years.

Bridgewater tore his ACL and almost got to a point where they had to amputate his leg, but his career is safe and it's "just" a tear. But they have Bradford now for a 1st in 2017.

Ravens also cut Forsett. I don't think Forsett is that great anymore (EDIT: I don't think he ever was great, just elusive if the hole was wide open), but as far as I knew he was slated to be the starter heading into the season so this is a surprise cut.

Edited by Lord Raven

^ not really... It's not like they're bereft of talent

Yeah, but Justin Gilbert was poor for them and it isn't like they'd ever trade RG3, Josh Gordon, Joe Haden, or that one TE. What was his name again...? He made that crazy TD catch between his legs last season. Um... Oh yeah, Gary Barnidge.

And Bradford going to the Vikings didn't surprise me. They did need somebody to fill in for Bridgewater...

Edited by Anacybele

Bradford going to the Vikings doesn't surprise you? He was slated to be the starting QB in Philly after the fourth preseason game, and he left for a first and a conditional fourth. That's actually pretty insane and it came out of nowhere.

I mean, Gilbert was fast as hell, I think he was traded so he could be coached or something. I mean, I dunno it's probably worth it if it was like a 6th or 7th.

Okay, I didn't know that part. It is rather surprising then. o.o

As for Gilbert needing to be coached, maybe, but by our secondary people? Uh... That's a pretty big gamble. I'll start having more faith in our secondary coaching again if the secondary can actually start getting good again.

Edited by Anacybele

It was a really desperate move by the Vikings. They gave up at least a 1st rounder and a 4th rounder. Teddy's leg is still attached but he isn't a lock to be healthy by the start of next year. Dislocated knees entail multiple tears, and he completely severed his ACL (though they never mentioned which other ligament was torn.)

It sorta works out because Bradford is signed for 2 years, and they really just need a QB who can hand off to AP and not turn the ball over.

Not to be a dick but owning Victor Cruz in fantasy isn't the best idea. I guess if you're really feeling that Giants swag, go for it