Clarification on "Amiibo's" in FE14?

I'm not a massive Nintendo fan. The only two Nintendo series I play are Pokemon and Fire Emblem (I'm a diehard fan of both, haha), everything else is irrelevant to me. So, I'm pretty clueless about "Amiibo's". Does anyone care to explain how they will be used in FE14? I really don't want them to make 50 different Amiibo's and force you to buy them to unlock a character, but I'm probably (hopefully?) just being worried for no reason.

Nintendo has not announced how amiibo will be used in the game. We just know that it will be used in some way because of the icon on the boxart. Amiibo really have not been intrusive in any of the games that have implemented it so far, so the game should be perfectly playable without amiibo. It would be best to view any amiibo implementation as an unnecessary bonus. If want speculation about how amiibo will be used in the game, check out this thread.

I suspect that the amiibos will add Robin, Lucina, Ike and Marth Einerjars with odd skill combos, nothing really substantial.

Something like this, yeah. If we get FEif character amiibo they might have a similar function to the logbook characters, you could let friends borrow units or w/e.

Pure speculation though. It's probably nothing too substantial.

Nintendo has not announced how amiibo will be used in the game. We just know that it will be used in some way because of the icon on the boxart. Amiibo really have not been intrusive in any of the games that have implemented it so far, so the game should be perfectly playable without amiibo. It would be best to view any amiibo implementation as an unnecessary bonus. If want speculation about how amiibo will be used in the game, check out this thread.

Opinion.

Heavily disagree - look at Codename Steam alone.

Love amiibo, hope they're used for bonuses. Cipher = fanservice, so that makes things difficult should Cipher be localized. Also, STOCK MORE! Maybe new costumes, or concept art. But please, no game-breaking grinding crud or stupidly OP units.

Edited by DeoGame

Codename Steam's implementation was nonessential bonus material. The game is still complete without it. Complaining about it is awfully petty.

I agree. Adding Ike, Marth, Lucina, or Robin to your party doesn't do anything except give you a new character to play around with. It doesn't change the story or anything significant like that.

Opinion.

Heavily disagree - look at Codename Steam alone.

Ike, Marth, Lucina and Robin aren't western literature characters or presidents(well except Ike). They're not necessary or even canon part of the game's experience and couldn't have been considered missing if they were never there. Considering the game's US sales figures, the Amiibo sales were probably intended to subsidise the development of the extra content.

The only game that really suffers from not using Amiibo is Mario Party 10 (though the Smash amiibo is way too much fun to mess with), the Amiibo party mode is ironically the best part of that game because its most like traditional MPs. In just about every other release where the Amiibo, the "content" they add is insubstantial compared to the main game (Hyrule Warriors) or Purely cosmetic (MK8) or a really interesting idea that only a external device like Amiibo would be suited to (Smash 4).

Actually, the fire emblem amiibo unlock a song in the sound room if you deploy all 4 FE characters at once.

But yeah, they're completely non-essential to steam, the unit selection menu doesn't even look like it has extra space/like characters are missing.

YES PLEASE TO A MARX FIGURINE.

They're probably going to do cards, which sucks because I'd love to have a Marx figurine beside the Link one that I have.

I would actually love it (although I think it will be unlikely) if they made amiibos of the 8 main characters from both sides (Marx, Troubadour Pony Princess, Leon, Camilla; Ryouma, Sakura, Hinoka and Takumi) and 2 of Kamui and Aqua (12 in total). An amiibo Sakura? that would definitely make me bother collecting these things!

More likely though, I imagine that they will use the already released fire emblem amiibo characters as einnjahrs (or however you spell it).