Maybe Pair-Up ISN'T back?

Alastor15243

Just to clarify, yes, I've seen the video footage, but all they've shown us are battle screens. We've never actually seen any two units paired up, just fighting side by side. Not a single image we've seen of gameplay has actually shown pair-up itself being used, and I think that's pretty strong evidence they removed it, and are retweaking the dual system instead.

What do you guys think? Do you think it's coming back and we just haven't seen it yet?

Clever thinking, but it's back. Just reworked.

This was briefly discussed previously, but the Dual and Pair Up systems introduced in Awakening have been reworked slightly. It is difficult to tell from the small magazine images, but it seems two friendly units can adopt an Attack Stance or Guard Stance.

An Attack Stance occurs when a friendly unit is adjacent while attacking an enemy; the friendly unit will launch a follow up attack after the main unit attacks (i.e. Dual Strike). The Guard Stance, meanwhile, has two friendly units combining together, boosting the stats of the main unit (i.e. Pair Up).

Other than the different names, it’s unclear how exactly these stances differ from their Awakening counterparts. Curiously, characters have a “shield” gauge, which may be related to their ability to deflect enemy attacks while in a Guard Stance.

So did I get this correct, the awakening style pair up only gives you the defensive option, while you only get offensive option by standing next to each other and not in a pair-up state?

I am confuzzled, to be honest.

It would make sense though and make Pair Up less broken. So maybe when paired up, you only benefit from Dual Guards (and the stat boosts). If you want to use Dual Strikes, you have to separate. That could work.

It still doesn't explain why we've seen so friggin' little of it in gameplay footage.

Maybe it's not something that can consistently be maintained between turns?

To be fair, we've seen very little gameplay. And half of the gameplay that we have seen is related to 2 v 2 or 2 v 1 battles.

Presumably there will be explanatory videos on the official site eventually.

Edited by VincentASM

I am confuzzled, to be honest.

It would make sense though and make Pair Up less broken. So maybe when paired up, you only benefit from Dual Guards (and the stat boosts). If you want to use Dual Strikes, you have to separate. That could work.

That would make sense. It'd add some level of strategy where you can choose between higher stats and potential guards and guaranteed extra attacks(Attack Stance), plus it'd allow the enemies to use Dual Support(hit bonus) and Dual Attack without giving every enemy adjacent to another one the ability to guard any attack.

Edited by arvilino

It still doesn't explain why we've seen so friggin' little of it in gameplay footage.

Maybe it's not something that can consistently be maintained between turns?

Considering that we have 2 trailers, totaling 4 minutes and 17 seconds (not a lot of footage to start with) and of that 4:17 we have a grand total of about 31 seconds featuring actual gameplay (not cinematics or dialog). We've seen "so friggin' little" of any gameplay TBH.

I'm hoping dual guard for completely nullifying attacks is a skill that only knights can use. That'd be cool. Maybe it'll be something where you decide if you want certain pairs to go for strikes, counters or blocks? There are a lot of options that pair up can potentially do, so I hope they don't get rid of it.