How many playable units?

Leif

We only took a look at a few characters from all the information that has been trickling our way since January.

I compiled a list of all the playable I found from the scans and videos:

Main Characters:

Aqua

Hoshido:

Ryouma

Hinoka

Takumi

Sakura

Saizou

Suzukaze

Kazahana

Tsubaki

Orochi

Felicia

White-Haired Butler

Rinka

Nohr:

Marx

Kamilla

Leon

Elize

Gray-haired Cavalier

Blue-haired Cavalier

Mercenary

Thief Archer

Female Dark Mage

Blonde Fighter Man

Elfui (Knight Girl)

Purple-Haired Great Knight

Blue-Haired Maid

Hopefully I didn't miss anybody. That's twenty-seven units.

Awakening has 43 Playable Characters, excluding Spotpass Characters like Priam and Emmeryn. I didn't include DLC characters as well.

Do you guys think we'll see a smaller cast of characters in this game? I wouldn't mind a smaller cast, if there is a focus on tighter character development.

Edited by Leif

I'd imagine that since there's essentially 3 games, the amount of playable units would be increased from Awakening. As such, character development would be tied to which route you choose. Presumably, Marx would be a more developed character on the Nohr route than the Hoshido one. Likewise for Ryouma. I am interested to see who benefits the most in terms of character development for the third route (most likely all units that are neutral factions).

We don't know if butler guy and blue maid are playable just yet though, or Marx, Leon and Ryouma for that matter. Apart from that, Awakening has a lot of optional children characters, which apparently isn't the case of If, but I'm still pretty sure there's a lot of playable units we have yet to see. Basically all of the visuals we got seem to take place fairly early in the game.

Also everyone forgets that poor... girl.

2GlKpOy.png

Aside from her(?) I think you've got them all.

We don't know if butler guy and blue maid are playable just yet though, or Marx, Leon and Ryouma for that matter. Apart from that, Awakening has a lot of optional children characters, which apparently isn't the case of If, but I'm still pretty sure there's a lot of playable units we have yet to see. Basically all of the visuals we got seem to take place fairly early in the game.

2GlKpOy.png

I have a suspicion that that is the white-haired butler from Hoshido. He could be a healer of sorts.

2GlKpOy.png

To which unit are you referring to in this picture?

I mean, the one at the top looks like Femui, the one at the far left on the bottom looks like it could be male or female, the cavalier we've seen before, and the other one is probably Elise.

This topic.

Yeah, we know NOTHING about the other characters in the game. Seriously, we've only gotten a handful of characters on either side!

At present we don't even know who the Cain and Abels are going to be. I'm a little concerned, because the game is coming out in 40 days.

At present we don't even know who the Cain and Abels are going to be. I'm a little concerned, because the game is coming out in 40 days.

I'm sorry, but I have no clue what you mean by "Cain" and "Abel." Are those character tropes?

I'm sorry, but I have no clue what you mean by "Cain" and "Abel." Are those character tropes?

Yes. In pretty much every game there's a cavalier pair with one having red armor, and the other green. One will specialize in strength while the other specializes in speed. For instance, Sully and Stahl were the "Cain" and "Abel" of Awakening.

I actually think they may go with the Cain and Abel being on opposite sides for once. A more of a reference to the biblical nature of their names.

It's possible that the Cain and Abel archetype could fall upon the gray and blue-haired cavaliers that we've seen. The gray-haired cavalier has been seen on both the Nohr and Hoshido side, so maybe we'll have the the Cain and Abel be on opposing sides?

And I think there's more characters in the game, they might just be keeping them hidden because they don't want to reveal all of the characters until the games release. There's some archetypes that they haven't filled in yet, but it's possible that they won't fill them in. The Nohr mercenary might be the Ogma of the game, but we haven't seen the possible Bord and Cords, Nabarl (unless Kazahana falls into this role), etc. It would be pretty neat if Nohr and Hoshido had their own set of archetypal characters, though that might make the character count a lot more than it should be.

I have a suspicion that that is the white-haired butler from Hoshido. He could be a healer of sorts.

I must admit that I didn't consider that. thing is, he has a weapon in the official art from the box cover, though you actually can't see it on the boxes themselves. Plus Elize from Nohr is playable in this picture.

To which unit are you referring to in this picture?

I mean, the one at the top looks like Femui, the one at the far left on the bottom looks like it could be male or female, the cavalier we've seen before, and the other one is probably Elise.

Well the one that has an ugly red square around it really. And yes, it could be male or female, but, "young looking unit carrying a staff" sounds pretty female to me. I did try to express the fact that I wasn't sure, though.

Also yes, the others are Kamui, ???su and Elise.

Edited by Cysx

I actually think they may go with the Cain and Abel being on opposite sides for once. A more of a reference to the biblical nature of their names.

See, this is what I want to know.

Is each side going to have a full set of units (ie, the usual 40 or so archetypes that are in every game) or is there going to be a lot of overlap, or (worst case) each side has only 20 or so units?

There was a voice actor thread going around, anyone know how many voice actors have been cast for the game?

See, this is what I want to know.

Is each side going to have a full set of units (ie, the usual 40 or so archetypes that are in every game) or is there going to be a lot of overlap, or (worst case) each side has only 20 or so units?

I'd say we are probably getting a full set for each, considering both routes are going to be pretty lengthy.

I'm not so sure, seeing that FE if is all about breaking traditions.

I'm fine with any number of playable characters above 40. I'm hoping for 72. Tellius may not have the best character development, but it sure does give players choices.

Well, considering how long the games will be, I wouldn't mind if they only gave us 20-30 characters on each side. Awakening had 43, which was rather large. Because the third section of the game is still in the process of being made, it doesn't count. Hopefully, however, they give us the same number of recruitable characters on each side. Keeping the list above in mind, it seems like we have a pretty even number (if you consider that the gray-haired cavalier is recrutiable on both sides).