So I broke my 3DS

Djing

The right hinge connecting the top screen broke. Miraculously the system still works but the top half is literally hanging by a thread.

It's also the Awakening limited edition blue 3DS so I'm not sure if Nintendo can find parts to fix it.

Anyone with experience with Nintendo Repair willing to share their experience?

Get a NERF case

I had the exact same thing happen to me (literally the same, to my FE:3DS too) and this is really helping me out.

84687ed4c1.jpg

He probably dropped it on a hard floor or something. That's how I broke one of the hinges on my old DS Phat. Thing still works just fine though. I used it to trade between my DS Pokemon games after I got a DS Lite.

But yeah, I keep my game systems in cases, though I have to agree that Nerf one looks bulky and silly. I recommend something more like these:

27472-b.jpg

I have this one, though in black.

And this Xerneas one looks sweet:

pokemon_x_y_universal_zip_case_3ds_xl3ds

Get a NERF case

I had the exact same thing happen to me (literally the same, to my FE:3DS too) and this is really helping me out.

84687ed4c1.jpg

That's exactly what I have, the color, the shape, the everything. I've got that EXACT product.

That thing looks super bulky.

See, they're seperated into two parts. The 3DS is SO incredibly fragile and slippery, but the two-piece NERF case is, indeed, bulky.

Back to the 'two-parts' thing, I keep the bottom piece on, while the top piece I just have laying around somewhere. It's a perfect balance.

Edited by ~Silver

Anyone with experience with Nintendo Repair willing to share their experience?

My brother sent two 3DS's to Nintendo to be fixed, one with one broken hinge came back, the other, which was completely detached, didn't. It was replaced by a different model (don't expect to get a new FE3DS in this case) with all the save files, games and account data transferred to it. They were about $75 each with shipping and fixing all involved since there was no warranty.

Oh yeah, I sent my Wii and Smash Bros Brawl to get fixed after I started getting errors all the time with the latter. It was free. Entirely.

Edited by Anacybele

Wow, so much for Nintendonium. When you think that a gameboy took a nuclear bomb to it's face and still works...

If I may ask, what is the point of this box called Nerf case ? Is it a protection ? Just a box ?

Edited by B.Leu

My brother sent two 3DS's to Nintendo to be fixed, one with one broken hinge came back, the other, which was completely detached, didn't. It was replaced by a different model (don't expect to get a new FE3DS in this case) with all the save files, games and account data transferred to it. They were about $75 each with shipping and fixing all involved since there was no warranty.

The repair site said the price was 85$ (~105$ with shipping). I'm assuming the price increased?

Save files and data are on the SD card, which I'm planning on removing if I send it.

Never actually sent something through mail before. I'm guessing you just put it in a box with insulation to keep it from further breakage?

That thing looks super bulky. Do you know why the hinge broke?

I was playing with it lying down on my bed and as I got up, my foot somehow kicked it out of my hands.

Now that I typed it out loud, it sounds like a really stupid way to break something...

Normally I would probably just scrap the thing and buy a New3ds but it was a gift from a friend so..

If there's one thing I know about modern consoles, it's that they don't make 'em like they used to. Treat them as if they were made of diamond.

If I may ask, what is the point of this box called Nerf case ? Is it a protection ? Just a box ?

It's made by Nerf.

My friend has/had one for his DS.With it on,he dropped it from the balcony in his old house,which was crazy-high (his yard sloped downwards) onto a rock and it was perfectly okay.So,if you do end up getting one,you don't really have to worry about it breaking again.

Computer won't let me quote, but my 3DS broke in a sense that games couldn't get into it any more. Shipped it off, took 3 weeks for it to return, and it was a totally new 3DS they shipped, different bar-code and everything.

...Are you me from another universe?

Edit:

Exactly same 3DS edition, exactly same location of fracture, exact same function.

Edit: Proof

DCsls8Z.jpg

Too bizarre.

Edited by Fateborn

Edit:

Exactly same 3DS edition, exactly same location of fracture, exact same function.

DCsls8Z.jpg

Too bizarre.

Dude did you just take a pic of my 3DS?

How the heck did you guys managed to do that ? Is the 3DS really that easy to break ?
Geez, now I'll be even more paranoid with my 3DS XI.

Edited by B.Leu

This thread makes me paranoid because I'm going to be doing a lot of travelling with my FE edition 3DS over the next month and I don't want a thing to happen to it. I don't want to get a NERF case though because I like being able to see the design on the front when I pull it out to play...

How the heck did you guys managed to do that ? Is the 3DS really that easy to break ?

Geez, now I'll be even more paranoid with my 3DS XI.

It's easy to break if it's fallen into ground hinge first.

Falling out of coat pocket sucks, couldn't sit with it in my pants pocket so I put it in my coat until i got up.

At least yours breaking had a reason for happening. Mine just happened to break for no reason at all! 3DS XL, before anyone asks. And I suspect the locking mechanism might have had something to do with it.

Edited by Just call me AL

Edit:

DCsls8Z.jpg

Too bizarre.

100% identical to my 3ds problem. Did you sneak in to my house to take that photo?