Let's talk about Map Design, The Dragon Vein, etc.

Soapbar

So, as stated before, Hoshido is more Awakening style, while Nohr goes back to FE's roots. We also know Nohr is going to get more Map Objectives while Hoshido seems like it's going back to FE13 where it's only Route the enemy and Defeat the boss.

This lends us towards the question: Is Nohr getting more map obstacles such as Fog of War and Desert levels? I would assume so, since all FE13 had was a desert level from my knowledge (haven't played FE13).

This also brings up the questions of how the Dragon Vein is going to be used. Currently, we have no idea if the Dragon Vein is simply going to be used for scripted events (Which would sort of suck) or if it can used freely but with limited charges. I could imagine it being used to create Terrain over places you couldn't normally cross with foot units such as Water or empty space like we see in the trailer where the Dragon Vein is used.

What do you guys think.

For references, in the Famitsu interview and the page that talks about DV, it has the following confirmed effects:

- Build bridges

- Create earthquakes

- Flatten mountains

- Transform deserts to grassy plains

- Draw water from the sea

Since they said "We hope players implement this in their various strategies. Also, it is not just the player who uses the power of dragons, the enemy will have units who are able to utilize this too in their own strategies.", this means that DV is mostly a gameplay mechanic and not just a narrative device.

Edited by Ryo

For references, in the Famitsu interview and the page that talks about DV, it has the following confirmed effects:

- Build bridges

- Create earthquakes

- Flatten mountains

- Transform deserts to grassy plains

- Draw water from the sea

Since they said "We hope players implement this in their various strategies. Also, it is not just the player who uses the power of dragons, the enemy will have units who are able to utilize this too in their own strategies.", this means that DV is mostly a gameplay mechanic and not just a narrative device.

yup since the other side you didn't pick can use it, it makes for some interesting strategy on boss making you plan out how to get through different traps and terrain that benefits the enemy. Edited by pkomegapax

Since we can apparently create a bridge, I wonder if we can also destroy it in the same manner. Like perhaps we can lure some stupid mooks to the middle of a bridge, and then... :rolleyes:

Since we can apparently create a bridge, I wonder if we can also destroy it in the same manner. Like perhaps we can lure some stupid mooks to the middle of a bridge, and then... :rolleyes:

I'd imagine you wouldn't get any experience for that.

Would be hilarious for bosses that move though. I think Flying units would be unaffected though

The enemy will also be able to use Dragon's Vein? But isn't that an ultra rare skill for very specific plot characters?

The enemy will also be able to use Dragon's Vein? But isn't that an ultra rare skill for very specific plot characters?

yes you, your siblings and aqua can use it and since they can be your enemy if you didn't choose them. Edited by pkomegapax

Even if the regular mooks cannot use it, I imagine they'd still benefit from the terrain changes created by us. Everything has a side effect. In traditional desert maps, even though the sand was annoying, it also hindered the enemies' movement, which we could take advantage of. But if we suddenly remove a portion of the desert, while we can travel more conveniently, that also means that enemies can approach us much faster. So if we implemented DV incorrectly, it could lead to fatal consequences, which is something they have also implied in the interview.

Hopefully it will be balanced well though...

Edited by Ryo

Yes, and you fight said plot characters if you choose either Hoshido or Nohr

Yeah, is the Dragon Vein a one time use for the affected area, or can you make the bridge appear and reappear at the end of each turn?

I'd imagine if anyone was on it you wouldn't be able to remove it, or they just might not allow you to remove it in the first place to avoid that trouble.

Yes, and you fight said plot characters if you choose either Hoshido or Nohr

Seems unlikely if I choose Hoshido, since the characters with dragon blood are from the Hoshido route (well, except Aqua, but she follows Kamui anyway).

Maybe that has to do with the Nohr route being harder. Enemies will be able to use Dragon Vein, whereas in the Hoshido route they won't.

Ryo offers an explanation that I haven't thought off, though. Sounds reasonable!

Dragon's Vein sounds like it will be both SEXUALLY GRATIFYING and a hellish nightmare at the same time; imagine if Dragon's Vein effects could be undone by using Dragon's Vein; now imagine an impassible obstacle that has to be removed via Dragon's Vein, but there is some annoying enemy Pegasus Knight or Wyvern Rider (I'm looking at you, boss Hinoka and Camilla) that can use Dragon's Vein, and for every time you remove an obstacle via Dragon's Vein, the enemy Flyer, undaunted by such terrain as Mountains or (for lack of a better word) Ravines, and just keep undoing the effects of Dragon's Vein, turning the map into a game of Dead Man's Volley. Not fun. But on the flip side, crossing a stretch of Sand on a desert level via turning the sand into grassland, and luring the enemy's cavalry in behind you, and then turning it back to sand, making them easy targets and giving your units who fear the great Movement of Cavalry (Archers) a head start if they need to fall back. Destroying bridges your enemy makes would be fun, too, and I'm very curious as to what creating an Earthquake will do...

Edited by JothTheConqueror

Dragon's Vein sounds like it will be both SEXUALLY GRATIFYING and a hellish nightmare at the same time; imagine if Dragon's Vein effects could be undone by using Dragon's Vein; now imagine an impassible obstacle that has to be removed via Dragon's Vein, but there is some annoying enemy Pegasus Knight or Wyvern Rider (I'm looking at you, boss Hinoka and Camilla) that can use Dragon's Vein, and for every time you remove an obstacle via Dragon's Vein, the enemy Flyer, undaunted by such terrain as Mountains or (for lack of a better word) Ravines, and just keep undoing the effects of Dragon's Vein, turning the map into a game of Dead Man's Volley. Not fun. But on the flip side, crossing a stretch of Sand on a desert level via turning the sand into grassland, and luring the enemy's cavalry in behind you, and then turning it back to sand, making them easy targets and giving your units who fear the great Movement of Cavalry (Archers) a head start if they need to fall back. Destroying bridges your enemy makes would be fun, too, and I'm very curious as to what creating an Earthquake will do...

Yeah I could see that happening, but you could always just kill the filer with your own filers, or give your archers target practice if they're close enough.

(Also is sexually gratifying going to be become a meme now)

Yeah I could see that happening, but you could always just kill the filer with your own filers, or give your archers target practice if they're close enough.

(Also is sexually gratifying going to be become a meme now)

I was seeing it through the eyes of a Nohr campaign player, where the bosses (assuming that's who would be wielding Dragon's Vein) would be significantly harder to take out, and leaving Fliers and Archers out in the open after taking the enemy down would firstly be no mean feat, and secondly would be an awful strategic faux pas.

@SEXUALLY GRATIFYING, it must. I would make it so, but I hath not the technology to do so, my computer is down and I am operating on an iPhone.

I was seeing it through the eyes of a Nohr campaign player, where the bosses (assuming that's who would be wielding Dragon's Vein) would be significantly harder to take out, and leaving Fliers and Archers out in the open after taking the enemy down would firstly be no mean feat, and secondly would be an awful strategic faux pas.

@SEXUALLY GRATIFYING, it must. I would make it so, but I hath not the technology to do so, my computer is down and I am operating on an iPhone.

Fair point. But let me raise another. Couldn't you simply make another path with your Dragon Vein and go around?

I would also imagine Dragon Vein requiring specific positioning

Fair point. But let me raise another. Couldn't you simply make another path with your Dragon Vein and go around?

I would also imagine Dragon Vein requiring specific positioning

I'm talking a specific choke point that would have to become a bridge in order to progress on a level, somewhat like this:

[][][][][][]XXXXXXXX[]000000

00000[]XXXXXXXX[]000000

00000(??????????)0000000

00000(??????????)0000000

00000[]XXXXXXXX[]000000

[][][][][][]XXXXXXXX[]000000

So in this most beautiful eyesore...

0 are tiles that any unit can access at any given time

[] are tiles not able to be accessed by Foot Units

(?) is where a bridge could be made

X are tiles inaccessible to any but Flyers

Thus rendering you unable to progress without a bridge. I am not sure if IS would make this perfectly awful chain of events a reality, but I could imagine it putting a damper on my day.

Ok good point. I conceed.

Although, that now makes me think that the Earthquake thing might be able to level mountains and stuff so Foot units can cross them.

Ok good point. I conceed.

Although, that now makes me think that the Earthquake thing might be able to level mountains and stuff so Foot units can cross them.

I thought Earthquake might do a small amount of damage to all (ground) units around the user, friend or foe, like the volcano level where you fight Yen'fay in Awakening. It would be cool to have a "Dragon Vein Affinity" as a preset thing, as some units would have more Dragon's Blood than others, and the more they have, the more and better effects they can produce. Obviously, Kamui, Aqua, Mrs. Hoshido, and Garon would have max Dragon's Vein potential, whereas some secondary characters might have more Dragon's Blood than another unit of the same class, so even if they have mediocre stars they could still shine in the Dragon's Vein dept.

Dragon's Vein sure looks like an interesting ability. I hope it will be balanced, and if it is, I'm sure this game's maps will be among the best in the series. I doubt it will be used by the enemy often, though, since in both paths there will be only 4 enemies(unless someone else can use it too), the members of the royal family you go against, that can use it.

What has really caught my interest is the possibility of choosing the starting point. It could really diversify the same chapter. IS surely knows how to raise hype