Usable children in Lunatic

KP 2010

That depends on:

- which other characters you use

- the amount of grinding you're willing to do

For now, I'll say Laurent - he can either blow things up as a Sage, or REALLY blow them up by reclassing to Dark Mage and sniping from the back row/abusing Mire.

Gregor!Laurent is legend tier (most Laurents are, he's just the best). Nowi, Panne, Sumia and Cordelia are all strong 1st gen females to take along as well, so all of their kids are on the table and worth taking if you get the chance.

If you want a lot of good children, I'd strongly recommend using Avatar-M and marrying either Cordelia or Nowi. There are a lot more good 1st gen females than 1st gen males and if you use Chrom x Avatar you'll find yourself with fewer children due to fewer good husbands- Gregor and Libra are the only standout ones that don't require a lot of work to get going.

As for the other children, Owain is easy to get but not too good, Gerome is too hard to get to be useful, Brady is always bad and a Chrom!Kjelle might be useful (I don't care for her, personally). Dunno about Noire but there are too many good females already. Inigo is good if you use Chrom x Olivia and funnel exp into Olivia hard enough to get him GF, and otherwise bad.

Gregor!Laurent is a god amongst men.

Gerome is good in a vacuum, he's the only other flying gen 2 unit besides Cynthia. However, he joins way too late to get going.

Cynthia and Severa are, like their mothers, amazing. A little tough to recruit, but well worth it.

Nah is pretty good, Yarne I'm not so sure about. His mom is good but I don't know about him.

Owain has a really nice and easy paralogue. He's a bad unit, but it's worth getting his paralogue for the easy exp.

Kjelle's underwhelming without a reclass, but her mother is good and her paralogue is easy, so she might be worth unlocking.

Inigo is like Owain (suffers from bad bases), except his paralogue is much harder, and he is hard to make in the first place unless you dance abuse in C11. Brady is bad, no offensive weapons at base.

I don't know too much about Laurent (outside of mage support) so I can't really give much of an opinion on him though he can be very strong depending on parent.

Can't say too much on Gerome outside of having the potential of having a lot of strength -- hard support.

Kjelle has some neat reclass options with which to pick up skills -- just don't have Sully be paired with Frederick or Stahl if you want more options.

Can't say too much on Noire outside of her being potentially strong in a mage class.

Yarne is good, but mainly as a Berserker support, not as a Taguel.

Cynthia (Chrom and Henry are popular dads for her) is good though you have to be careful on her paralogue.

Inigo can be good, but he'll most likely have trouble at the start since Olivia joins in Chapter 11 at lv. 1 as a special class and low stats -- this depends on if you're willing to grind and you have the means to do so; especially good if you can get Galeforce on him.

Severa is good; just make sure you have Rescue staves for her joining paralogue.

Nah -- we all know how manaketes are.

Owain and Brady, to me, feel like the weakest children that can get Galeforce though those 2 are usually best off in mage classes.

Yarne I'm not so sure about. His mom is good but I don't know about him.

He's very similar to a working version of Donnel- requires an immediate Second Seal, comes with no weapon ranks and no real skills, and has a very limited class set. However he also has great mods, decent bases, shows up at a portion of the game where exp isn't super tight and you've had time to prepare for weak recruits, and can inherit good classes from his father. You can also sell his Beaststone to mostly cover the cost of his Seal.

Still not for everyone, but he will give a nice return on investment, including on Lunatic+ thanks to native Warrior.

outside of mage support

hard support

mainly as a Berserker support

The only units who should ever be hard supports ingame are Chrom (when paired with Avatar-F and soloing) and Owain (with a DSp+ inheritance). Not having GF ingame is unfortunate, but in no way locks a unit to the back- especially not the likes of Laurent and Yarne. Laurent is a premier lead with his good defensive skillset and high power, and Yarne likes to alternate between front and back depending on target.

Keep in mind that high Atk is best kept up front ingame (unless fighting PavGis in Lunatic+) because DS rates are shaky and you're not likely to have Braves, so you're getting a guaranteed two hits instead of a random 0-2 hits.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

(I'll only post about the kids I have a decent amount of experience with)

I will echo the praise for Gregor!Laurent. Especially wonderful is that he can still hit the ground running with minimal investment into Gregor.

Kjelle - My experience with Kjelle is with Gaius as a father in Lunatic+. I imagine he's not the only father that can work for her, but having Pegasus Knight (aka lolDarkFlierGaleforce) on the table was really nice. Especially helps that her Paralogue is pretty easy as far as the kid recruitment chapters go.

Cynthia - I only really bother if Chrom or M!Robin is her father. Henry joins too late and Fred's stats can't keep up. Otherwise early Galeforce is nice, and she's generally a good unit that would probably be used more if her mom had more marriage options.

Severa comes with Armsthrift and the ability to inherit Galeforce. Her chapter is an opportunity for some staffers with fresh Rescues to get some EXP. And your reward for completing it is buyable Second Seals.

A Discipline dad can really help get Yarne off the ground. I personally used Stahl!Yarne for Discipline and instant Archer reclass. Considering he should be inheriting a decent amount of stats from Panne, he's pretty solid.

Chrom!Inigo with a Galeforce Olivia is good, but other Inigos kind of smell.

I recently had success in Lunatic+ with Gregor!Noire. She basically fulfilled the role I normally have Gregor!Laurent in (inherit Sol, reclass to Merc, reclass to Dark Mage), but with the inability to marry Lucina and a weaker mother due to inability to staff spam. Not sure I'd use her in Lunatic+ again due to the constraints, but I'm considering using her again in my next Vanilla Lunatic run.