Grima's Dragonskin

What exactly are the mechanics behind this ability? I looked up all sorts of sources and googled everything but found no answer. If I have a 47 atk character target Grima's 41 defence, it will result in precisely 1 point of damage. The description states that it "more than halves damage", and simple maths would suggest it should be 3 damage instead ((47-41)/2) but maybe "more" means there's something else to it.

Has anyone bothered looking into this, or do people just not pay attention because they faceroll the final boss every time?

It halves and then rounds down if the damage is odd.

Your confusion is coming from the fact that Grima is sitting on an Ire tile which provides +3 Def/Res and +20 Avo (same as a Gate but without healing). 41+3 Def gives 44, knocking your damage down to 3 before Dragonskin, which is halved to 1.5 and rounded down to 1.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Its a real shame that Dragonskin is an enemy-exclusive skill in Apotheosis too... : (

Made super-dickish by the fact that it also negates Lethality and Counter

I think Dragonskin would be a cool skill for manaketes. It'd probably be waaaay too good though. Negating counter!

Edited by Ownagepuffs

That ire tile was a pain in the ass to accomodate for in my Tier1 Run, I'll never forget it!

That ire tile was a pain in the ass to accomodate for in my Tier1 Run, I'll never forget it!

That must have been awful! I mean, there's stuff like hex, anathema, demoiselle, and charm but still. The difference between promoted and unpromoted caps is pretty severe.

That must have been awful! I mean, there's stuff like hex, anathema, demoiselle, and charm but still. The difference between promoted and unpromoted caps is pretty severe.

Funny thing is;

Grima was tolerable, but breaking through the WALL OF GENERALS with a bunch of scrubby Barbarians and Myrmidons wasn't very tolerable, even with max Tier1 stats. It was a chore to not get doubled by the I won't ever miss Grima

Made super-dickish by the fact that it also negates Lethality and Counter

Which would actually be worth crying about if they didn't suck.

That could possibly be what contributes to the frustration, though. I mean, it's one of those rare situations where the enemies are high-powered enough that those skills may finally be worth considering for something, but they're preemptively negated.

That's a very good point.

A lot of runs don't come even close to hitting their caps on quick runs, though. You should be able to double Grima with a brave weapon though, letting Chrom attempt to attack four times with his Exalted Falchion, though the hit rates will be shaky.

Falchion still only does ~11 damage in the back and has ~60 listed Hit. Against Grima's 99 HP, that's not much.

Also doubling Grima in an unpromoted class is kind of stretching it when it's already a huge deal to just not get doubled.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Depending on the difficulty, sure. You need 38 speed to double Grima on Hard Mode. Myrmidon has a speed cap of 28; apply +4 modifier to that (Robin speed asset) and you get 32. +2=34 from a Speed Tonic, then add an A/S Chrom support (Chrom is a Lord) and you get a Pair Up bonus of 3+2+2=7 for a total speed of 41.

Edited by Espinosa