Will this game be challenging?

Junkhead

With the addition of an extra Kindergarten Mode, infinite weapon uses and Pair Up still in it's place (albeit, a bit toned down), I'm having my doubts. I just hope they don't go down the same route regarding Chapter Goals and chapter design (flat, straight out, "kill them all")...

With the addition of an extra Kindergarten Mode

Which is an optional mode that can only be played on normal.

infinite weapon uses

Which was an odd system to begin with and weapons will instead give various different stats to compensate for any strategic element that may have been lost.

I just hope they don't go down the same route regarding Chapter Goals and chapter design (flat, straight out, "kill them all")...

The Nohr route has been confirmed to contain more varied mission objectives as well as being very difficult in general.

I would venture to say "yes." Consider how difficult Lunatic Mode was in Awakening. Now that enemies can pair up and adopt attack stances, it's safe to say it will be a much harder game. The developers stated that they feared IF would be too challenging; I don't recall the developers saying that they feared Awakening's difficulty during its pre-release.

I swear it's like people just go, "No weapon durability? Why have a strategy game at all!?" or just assume that because Phoenix mode exists that the rest of the game is face-roll easy.

I just hope they don't go down the same route regarding Chapter Goals and chapter design (flat, straight out, "kill them all")...

Someone clearly has not been paying attention to any of the pre-release info besides what fits their agenda.

There's no reason to doubt that Lunatic and Lunatic+ will return, and if you want more tougher map design and more varied objectives, they've said that the Nohr campaign is specifically designed to feature those. I think it's safe to say it'll be at least as hard as Awakening, if not harder in Nohr.

Also, the flipside of the infinite-use weapons is the jacked-up expense of actually buying new ones. Depending on how much gold and naturally-obtained weaponry they give you early in the game managing your inventory may actually be harder in this one.

I swear it's like people just go, "No weapon durability? Why have a strategy game at all!?" or just assume that because Phoenix mode exists that the rest of the game is face-roll easy.

Exactly! Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre had no weapon durability and both of them involved a ton of strategy. They, obviously, played differently, but I think a lack of weapon durability in Fire Emblem does not make or break the game. I watched a Lunatic + run of Awakening, and the player had no difficulty with managing weapons at all; it was almost an afterthought.

Edited by Leif

Challenge is relative, it is based partially off of one's experience/talent in a specific genre. To some people, Hard/Classic Awakening is overwhelmingly difficult, to me it's a cakewalk. To some Sacred Stones Hard is agressively easy, to me it's the right level of challenge (not too hard nor too easy). It's truly relative dependent on a number of factors.

However OP, I do agree that at first glance they seem to be adding/removing too much that it affects the challenge, but only time will tell.

Edited by DeoGame

Exactly! Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre had no weapon durability and both of them involved a ton of strategy. They, obviously, played differently, but I think a lack of weapon durability in Fire Emblem does not make or break the game. I watched a Lunatic + run of Awakening, and the player had no difficulty with managing weapons at all; it was almost an afterthought.

FFT and TO are both really easy compared to FE, although I don't think that has anything to do with weapon durability but rather that enemies tend to be rather undertuned compared to what players are capable of (which is probably a result of only one difficulty mode) Edited by Paperblade

With the addition of an extra Kindergarten Mode, infinite weapon uses and Pair Up still in it's place (albeit, a bit toned down), I'm having my doubts. I just hope they don't go down the same route regarding Chapter Goals and chapter design (flat, straight out, "kill them all")...

Truth be told, it's not terribly hard to manage item uses in FE. If anything removing durability and giving weapons their own attributes means Silvers aren't going to be strictly better than their less powerful counterparts. Remember, the inclusion of an easier difficult means that they can get away with putting harder ones in. Awakening would have done poorly if it had only come with Lunatic as a default difficulty.

Truth be told, it's not terribly hard to manage item uses in FE. If anything removing durability and giving weapons their own attributes means Silvers aren't going to be strictly better than their less powerful counterparts. Remember, the inclusion of an easier difficult means that they can get away with putting harder ones in. Awakening would have done poorly if it had only come with Lunatic as a default difficulty.

iirc, the debuffs given by Silvers are pretty minor (minus 2 strength and skill after the battle) so they will still do more damage than most weapons.

Someone clearly has not been paying attention to any of the pre-release info besides what fits their agenda.

I'm sorry my life doesn't revolve around that. :P

Considering that now enemy units can pair up too I'd venture to say it'd be a bit more challenging despite having infinite weapon uses and such. Plus Nohr's route has no grinding and limited resources like past FE's.

The removal of durability wasn't a deal-breaker for me, and I'm actually excited about every weapon having their distinctive attributes. I've been crying for ages to see FE1/3/4 weight return (since it made the weaker weapons have a uniform advantage over the stronger ones), and this looks like it might just compensate for it.

As far as challenge in general goes, the last two FEs have been as difficult as FE has ever gotten. I don't see why this game would stray away from that trend.

To be fully honest, I think this has the chance to have the player and enemy on a very even playing field.

I mean, durability pretty much meant nothing to the enemy unless you wanted to steal a powerful one before they used it all up, but there's one thing. I've heard a lot people, especially on Gamefaqs, claim that the penalities of the Silver Sword and Brave Sword were negligible at best.

Well, guess what, the enemy is going to have access to those same "negligible penalties" which puts an even bigger emphasis on watching out for what the enemy has. Not to mention that they have access to the same Pair Up abilities.

I think this opens up many possibilities for strategy and challenge.

I got to mention some things.

The way weapons affect statistics is something I welcome.

Pheonix Mode is not impossible to lose. It can only be played on Normal difficulty and you can still lose with your main units dying and failing the mission objectives. *Coff* still going to go Casual like a scrub *Coff*

Enemies being able to Pair Up is legit news. It adds more strategy which I also welcome. But a tad worrisome. That might make it very difficult to land hits.

We will see how these will play out.

I'm not too worried about how they'll make the game challenging. As long as they don't just up enemy stats a ridiculous amount and give them overpowered skills when you up the difficulty and instead present the player with interesting enemy layouts and objectives that are based on the new mechanics, then we could have an really good new entry on our hands.

Also the new pair up system looks a lot better honestly. They nerfed the damage output with dual strikes and made it so you can reliably activate it without having to worry about RNG messing things up. Guard stance still buffs a unit's stats and nullifies damage sometimes (also not RNG based anymore because of the new shield gauge) but without dual strike, the unit in back can't attack and gain exp which lowers your teams ofeensive capabilities. The only thing that concerns me is if units in guard stance can switch with each other or act again if they joined up like in awakening. It's not too big a deal but it'd make rescuing units in danger a lot easier.

(wait that previous blurb was entirely meant for another thread wow im tired)

L is confirmed to exist; L+ is likely to follow. As long as those exist, I'm fine. Mechanically it does seem they tweaked a bunch of stuff and while some of the pandering stuff is a bit off-putting I don't think those are meant to be that central to the actual gameplay and are just getting the marketing right now for, well, marketing.

So I mean unless they watered down L to like, Hard Mode tier (which is incredibly unlikely considering how Nohr is marketed, esp) I probably wouldn't worry too much. It's gonna be different, but I welcome change. As long as it's still strategic-and let's be real other than FE12 L/LR there isn't really a FE where you can't practically one-man stomp the shit out of it anyway so it's not like that's anything exclusive to the more recent development

Edited by Thor Odinson