Odin's tomes naming suggestions!

Also Thor, been meaning to say this but quite a few of the Kanji I've come across(can't speak for others but if anyone can verify, that'd be great) by themselves are pretty close to their Chinese meaning. The ones Bovinian listed that I've quoted above are good examples but can't say I've seen 夕 in Chinese.

夕 is the same as you have up there in Chinese, meaningwise. You have combinations like 夕陽, for example, which means sunset.

Most Kanji should be the same meaning in Chinese; I mean, Kanji itself, 漢字, is literally Chinese characters. However, you have cases where it means one thing in Japanese and entirely different thing in Chinese. One notorious example that often trips up Chinese Japanese-learners is 大丈夫 (Daijoubu), which means "manly man" in Chinese but "being well" in Japanese. Etymologically it does come from something something "healthy like a manly man" or something I don't remember specifics, but there's a several more examples of deviation. Other times the Kanji character will look different than both Simplified and Traditional Chinese, but bear a resemblance to it, such as Tsurugi 剣 vs Jian 劍/剑. Then there's the Kanji that honestly don't look like anything in Chinese but I can't think of examples because unlike my Chinese, my Japanese is woefully basic.

Moreover, Japanese Kanji only contains a fraction of the full Chinese characterset. I don't know the exact proportion thereof, though.

Edited by Thor Odinson

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it's 無駄, so it's 無駄無駄無駄無駄. That works lol.

SEKIHA TENKYOKEN!!...is only five kanji. :(

Oh, that's nice. Where are you from?

...Is that really French? >_>

I lol'd.

That is, and I speak French, and I can translate its literal meaning.

Pipicaca basically means "Peepeepoopoo."

Voilà! But it depends on the circumstance it's used in...

In this specific case, 一ヶ月 (いっかげつ) means "one month" and is using 月 (or more accurately ヶ月) as the counter word. Whereas 一月 (いちがつ) is more along the lines of "month #1", aka January, so 月 is not really acting as a counter in this case (I don't really think suffix is the right way to describe it either, but that's just what I called it). 先月 and 来月 are just compound words.

Characters changing reading when they're used as counter words...not sure if this is a common thing or not. One easy example I can think of is 人, which reads にん when using it as a counter for people (starting with 3), but I believe in most other cases where the onyomi is used, it reads じん instead. (Actually I'm not even sure about this either since I can think of a few where it reads nin - 人間、人気、人形...)

Tl;dr Kanji is fucking weird.

So how would you say the first month of a long period of time? Say a woman is pregnant and suppose she says that the first month was easy. Would this 一番目の月は簡単だと思いました be correct?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. For people, one person and two people are special. For じん, I've only seen it used to describe a person from a country such as 日本人.

I think for Kanji, I don't try to reason it out. I just memorize it if I've seen its reading already. If I haven't seen it, I usually look it up or ask someone but I don't look up with the meaning of the individual characters until I see it by itself. Don't kill me

夕 is the same as you have up there in Chinese, meaningwise. You have combinations like 夕陽, for example, which means sunset.

Most Kanji should be the same meaning in Chinese; I mean, Kanji itself, 漢字, is literally Chinese characters. However, you have cases where it means one thing in Japanese and entirely different thing in Chinese. One notorious example that often trips up Chinese Japanese-learners is 大丈夫 (Daijoubu), which means "manly man" in Chinese but "being well" in Japanese. Etymologically it does come from something something "healthy like a manly man" or something I don't remember specifics, but there's a several more examples of deviation. Other times the Kanji character will look different than both Simplified and Traditional Chinese, but bear a resemblance to it, such as Tsurugi 剣 vs Jian 劍/剑. Then there's the Kanji that honestly don't look like anything in Chinese but I can't think of examples because unlike my Chinese, my Japanese is woefully basic.

Moreover, Japanese Kanji only contains a fraction of the full Chinese characterset. I don't know the exact proportion thereof, though.

I've always read 大丈夫's Chinese meaning as "big husband" in Chinese so I never understood who that would mean something like "being well" in Japanese. Now that you've mentioned "manly man", it makes so much more sense.  

I remember having to look up tsurugi and having trouble with it as I was quite confused for a few moments.

Man..I wonder how that skill is going to transfer over.

Can't remember if it's this thread or another one but someone speculated that they could just go with all caps.

Edited by Magician Lugh

I've always read 大丈夫's Chinese meaning as "big husband" in Chinese so I never understood who that would mean something like "being well" in Japanese. Now that you've mentioned "manly man", it makes so much more sense.  

I remember having to look up tsurugi and having trouble with it as I was quite confused for a few moments.

大丈夫quite literally, split up into 大 and 丈夫, do end up meaning big husband so I don't blame you there

but usually with the big in front of husband it's actually a part of an even longer phrase 男子汉大丈夫 to really emphasize being a manly man

speaking of which can prolly get away with naming that tome 俺是男子汉大丈夫 I AM MANLY MAN if you don't mind it only making sense in Chinese and possibly not Japanese :P

Edited by Thor Odinson

Man..I wonder how that skill is going to transfer over.

My guess is instead of eight Kanji it'll just be eight letters/characters. So if you name a tome with eight letters/characters or more then it counts. Or they could just change the ability to any custom tome with a unique name.

This is why I originally said it's going out of your way to name it "stupid".

...I'm not particularly irked by the character reuse.

I'm just saying "oh dammit" with the "Blood Boil" skill.

Forged weapon weapon and name it with ridiculous kanji.

tumblr_np360oFPZi1rmzb08o3_400.png

Freaking, hell. Even my ridiculous weapon names don't use 8 characters.

Just pronuncing this in Japanese Onyomi is ridiculous. And it's only 6 characters!

Wuhan, you?

I'm from Hong Kong, actually. :D

I was going for "be as stupid as possible". Thus, six snakes technically makes no sense, and 無 is a much more popular use of "mu" than 六, but I couldn't resist the joke.

Oh, okay then.

That is, and I speak French, and I can translate its literal meaning.

Pipicaca basically means "Peepeepoopoo."

Voilà! But it depends on the circumstance it's used in...

What kind of circumstances?

This is why I originally said it's going out of your way to name it "stupid".

Just pronuncing this in Japanese Onyomi is ridiculous. And it's only 6 characters!

But Rey... not!Owain IS stupid.

How so? I think Odin will be an awesome character even if he is just like Owain. Plus the man is pretty damn sexy (oh dear, now I have to decide between him and Cyrus).

Ah, okay gotcha. I misinterpreted that, my bad. xD

But yea, I can see your point. Honestly he was one of the few characters in Awakening that genuinely made me laugh.

I really like the concept of talent skills since, depending on your play-style, even the weaker units become useful. That said, since Odin's skill requires forging, it'd be a good idea to focus on making a tome that Crits easy, so combined with his skill critical hits become more likely right? If so wouldn't it be a good idea to always have Luna attack after Odin, since her skill guarantees a critical hit?

I'm a horrible person for suggesting this :P:

頭肩膝趾膝趾膝趾 - sing it with me: "Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes, knees and toes~!"

My guess is instead of eight Kanji it'll just be eight letters/characters. So if you name a tome with eight letters/characters or more then it counts. Or they could just change the ability to any custom tome with a unique name.

I guess but..8 letters isn't really that much. Feels a bit short for a weapon of his caliber.

Here is some more suggestions:

"Radical Flexing Phoenix Bewitching Torture of Endless Rebirth"

"Silence of the Virtuoso: Death's Beautiful Forbidden Swan Song"

"The Bastard of Odin: Unholy Marriage of Deceit and Greed"

"The Great Supreme Overlord Brilliant Master Super King Judge of Everything!"

"Veterans Disdain and Casuals Curiosity: The Questions of Pander And Struggles of The Intelligent Systems to Please"

"Ultimate Hyper Critical Hand Hunger Chaos Sphere Laser, MAX POWER!!!"

"That Which Burns All in the Oven, Creator of Torched Flesh Magma Storm"

"Chosen One Requiem Disaster Past Cannon of Lost Resolve Chapter 53"

"Don't Miss The Season Finale of Odin's IF! Last Time Odin Has Finally Lost Control And The Demon In Him Came Out to Destroy All That He Loves. Will He Best His Inner Self or Succumb to It? Find Out Next Week!"

"The Destiny of The Tome Belongs In the Hands of One Who Intends To Kill For Their Ambitions!"

"Changer of War Tides, Bringer of Fear, Fates Karma For the Wicked: Final Impact!"

"Dark Mage Vortex Earth-Shattering Demon Titan Raining 1000 Explosion Stomps"

"Those Who Bare Witness To Sins of Humanity Only See Themselves In Darkness"

"Law of Gravity: Trees May Drop Apples, But I Will Drop The Moon!"

Looks like it's getting even more ridiculous.

Were I importing this game, I'd have barrels of fun coming up with silly names for Odin's tomes. Although honestly I'd probably name tomes with shit like, "Eggs and cheese are good on rice!" or "The sun was shining when I stubbed my toe."

That said, I really hope the localization team comes up with a way to bring this skill to the west. I'm pretty sure they're going to go with the same eight characters limit for the tomes.

Were I importing this game, I'd have barrels of fun coming up with silly names for Odin's tomes. Although honestly I'd probably name tomes with shit like, "Eggs and cheese are good on rice!" or "The sun was shining when I stubbed my toe."

That said, I really hope the localization team comes up with a way to bring this skill to the west. I'm pretty sure they're going to go with the same eight characters limit for the tomes.

What would be some good english 8 character limits?

GumshoeZ

Yard Sard

Dethbane

Edited by Eveangaline

What would be some good english 8 character limits?

GumshoeZ

Yard Sard

Dethbane

Not as interesting, but I'll try.

"Evil Eye"

"Chaos★ Ώ"

"New Moon"

"Gamble 6"

"BloodSea"

"HellHart"

"Justice!"

"Trillion"

"DeadCold"

"SnowHell"

"Read Me!"

"FearTear"

"Distruct"

"9th Gate"

"I'mabook"

I would definitely need more space than that.

Edited by Reset

Mine will be just 圣火降魔录.觉醒, "Record of the Sacred Flame that Slay the Devil Awakening". The words for Awakening is the same as in FE:A.

Edited by Awakener_

Mine will be just 圣火降魔录.觉醒, "Record of the Sacred Flame that Slay the Devil Awakening". The words for Awakening is the same as in FE:A.

That's only seven kanji though. You need eight to get the boost.