Roy, Ryu, Lucas, and Mewtwo's placement on the tier list?

While I remain optimistic and hope that Roy will be better than in Melee, he most likely has not changed much and will not be too high on the tier list.

Ryu, I think will be fairly high on the teir list. Just a hunch, though.

Mewtwo is really hard to control in my opinion. That might make him worse than other characters.

I have a feeling Lucas might be better this time around, to make him more likely to be bought by those who don't really care about him being back as a character.

I hope Roy is at least mid-tier because then he'll be the best FE character, which would be totally ironic given his past.

Lucas will likely be high tier as a Ness clone. Ness is already high/top tier so Lucas should fit right in.

Results have shown that Mewtwo is a low to bottom tier character again due to his lack of strings.

Ryu seems really good but we'll need to wait and see.

Yeah we'll have to wait and see but Ryu does seem really good. Recovery not too bad, Hadouken projectile, several combos through original Street Fighter commands (some of which are OHKOs namely shoryuken if you do it right), and focus stun. He seems pretty versatile I'm actually suprised that Nintendo was able to implement as many combos with him as they did.

I can't judge Ryu because I am currently hopeless with him, and I don't have Lucas yet.

From what I've played with Roy so far, he seems to have better frame data overall than Marth and Lucina do. His sweet spot doesn't have the same punch as Marth's, but it's easier to land (as it's much bigger) and his moves that don't share animations with Marth's seem to be quicker than Marth's. Plus he is a fast faller and seems to have a faster run speed. These are just first impressions, so I may be completely wrong, but it seems Roy will have the most aggressive playstyle out of all of the Fire Emblem characters. Plus his down throw is a combo throw.

Edited by Monado Boy

Roy looks hopefully mid tier, so then he'll be the best Fire Emblem character (though Robin could be debated to be mid tier; it's that he takes alot of work to get fully acquainted with him. It doesn't help his biggest weakness is fast rush-down characters, who are SSB4's top tier).

I'm going with the crowd and saying Lucas will be above average.

If Ryu is what he's promoted as being, then he is probably going to be very high, if not top tier.

Edited by Leon of Nohr

I can say this much.

From playing with Lucas, most of his kill moves are dangerous, due to easily being punished. You'd think he would pick a card from Ness' deck, and become about as viable, if not more, than he is. But instead, I see a mid-tier character.

Ryu is a Little Mac with Air Game, that has slightly more lag.

Roy, however, on the other hand, seems to be far more aggressive with the sweetspot in the center of his blade. You yourself can be far more aggressive because of this, and I'd actually place him above Marth, competitively. His biggest problem I see so far, however, is his mediocre recovery.

Mewtwo can be a real hazard to face up against: that is, if someone knows how to use him. He has a select few options that allow him to decimate an opponent: And that's all he needs. Need I mention his multiple ways of recovery?

Eye is going to be top tier. Maybe even higher than Shiek

Were you autocorrekt?

Really? They've only just been released, and people are already talking tiers?

*sighs and shakes head*

First impressions. People thought that Ike was high tier in Brawl at first; he slowly fell to mid. Olimar was mid tier, but eventually carved out a space at the top.

Edited by Leon of Nohr

Were you autocorrekt?

I checked, It seems he was trying to spell Ryu

Also, I'm really digging Roy's playstyle. I'd say his recovery is workable, and his Downgrab is fantastic.

Ryu is a more technical character... so...this'll take time.

Mewtwo is Melee!Mewtwo. He fucking sucks.

Lucas.... I like him but i like PM!Lucas is better... Whatever, he seems Mid-High i guess.

Edited by Ghengis Khan

I checked, It seems he was trying to spell Ryu

Also, I'm really digging Roy's playstyle. I'd say his recovery is workable, and his Downgrab is fantastic.

Ryu is a more technical character... so...this'll take time.

Mewtwo is Melee!Mewtwo. He fucking sucks.

Lucas.... I like him but i like PM!Lucas is better... Whatever, he seems Mid-High i guess.

I've been trying to get the quarter circles down, with mixed results. The thing is, at first I was trying to quickly do a 90-degree rotation of the circle pad, with mixed results. I then decided to try the much more simplistic, rigid way of inputting the directions individually. And voila! Success, at least as far as the Hadouken and hurricane kick; having trouble doing the Shoryuken, and I can't for the life of me find out in-game how to do the EX Hadouken.

I'd say the collarbone breaker will probably end up nerfed; doing a chunk of shield damage is one thing, but one-shotting shields seems like way too much, and something that won't stay unchanged once people start getting really good with him and FG results roll in.

Also, I've find that if you quickly input dash and return the circle pad to a neutral position, Ryu does a... well... classic videogame dash where he quickly slides forward. I haven't even tested most of his combos yet.

Anyway, Ryu, in the right hands, is going to be a freaking dragon.

*Shows himself the door*

Roy feels pretty good. His sweetspots are less powerful, sure, but they're much easier to hit; if you have a pretty much guaranteed chance of KOing someone at 95% with a side smash, it doesn't give much reason to go for the 55% damage kill with Marth's side-smash sweetspot (unless you're amazing with Marth).

Yeah, his recovery isn't the greatest, but he has a decent air game, and the fact that his sweetspots (basers?) can be gotten consistently makes it seem like the average player would be dealing more damage over time with Roy than if the same player used Marth. All in all, I think I may have found my new main.

And Lucas may doesn't feel bad as well; he surprised me. He's got multiple projectiles, an easy way to shut enemy projectiles down, and reasonably powerful aerials. But then we get to the issue of his recovery, which anybody if they're close enough can just throw themselves in the way off and guarantee a KO.

Anyways, apologies for the wall of text; just giving my overall thoughts and impressions so far.

Edited by Leon of Nohr

I just want to note, for those that say Lucas will be good because Ness is really good, Ness has tools that Lucas doesn't have such as a good grab game, a very strong kill throw, a dangerous to intercept recovery, ways to combo PK Thunder to PK Thunder 2 for a KO and a PK Fire that sets up said grabs.

Anyway, Lucas I think will be upper midt ier. He has decent dthrow combos, huge recovery so he can go pretty deep, a tether to mix up said recovery, a surprisingly good projectile clanking tool in PK Fire since the explosion will still hit people, an arguably better PK Magnet than Ness', a decent ground game, and a relatively safe fsmash that comes out surprisngly quick and KO's at decent percents. However, he still suffers from a lack of range on his standard moves, he has 2 good KO options in fsmash and upair (dsmash may be an option but I haven't tested how safe it is), and his PK Thunder 2 is easier to edgeguard than Ness'

Roy will probably be lower mid tier, he still suffers from the game wanting him to space badly when an important part of a fighting game is spacing properly. Howver, a lot of his moves were straight up buffed. Flare Blade has a lot less endlag, hitting with the tip is overall stronger than in Melee, he can dthrow into Blazer at a lot of %s, and Blazer KOs at high %s now.

Ryu will probably be high tier, his projectile game is just okay, but he has no problems punishing players for bad bad decisions, can combo a jab or light dtilt into a Shoryuken that KOs at relatively low %s, Focus attack can punish a lot of moves and can either KO itself or lead into a KOing Shoryuken. Honestly, Shoryuken is just an amazing move that gets better with any stage with a platform since it will be even harder to punish, seriously, this thing has very few endlag frames on landing, KO's early, you can run into it etc. As a Megaman player, the real Shoryuken makes me really jealous.

Mewtwo will probably be mid tier. He's big and light, yeah, and has a few problems with characters that can really get in, but he has a butt ton of tools at his disposal which offset these flaws such as his specials, which can really confuse people and are good for mixups in general. Oh, he has a really good jab too.

These are just opinions but the main thing I wanted to get out of the way was the misconception that Lucas will be strong because Ness is.

Roy will probably be lower mid tier, he still suffers from the game wanting him to space badly when an important part of a fighting game is spacing properly. Howver, a lot of his moves were straight up buffed. Flare Blade has a lot less endlag, hitting with the tip is overall stronger than in Melee, he can dthrow into Blazer at a lot of %s, and Blazer KOs at high %s now.

His sweetspot involves being in someones face, spacing is a bit of a different beast when you have something like this. Because the sweetspot is the lower half of the blade/the hilt, which his new moves benefit.

He has solid ground speed, good aerials, even fair can ko off stage. His dthrow can combo not only into blazer but also utilt, short hop nair and a few others things. His jab is like Ganon strong but quicker (less reach but I digress). It combos into itself, he has a great ftilt that benefits from the pivot mechanic.

His kill power is solid and he has good set ups. Absolutely punishing if he reads you

His main weakness imo, is his recovery. Along with the fact he has to be super close but that's also a benefit to him.

A list remains to be seen, but I'm actually going to guess Roy will fit around High or Upper-Mid

Edited by Jedi

Fair enough, I didn't play enough of Roy or against him to get a good feel so I just sorta thought of Marth and his flaws and based my opinion off that. My biggest problem with Roy is not having enough options in neutral. Yeah, he has disjoints, good speed and grab range, but he lacks a projectile and has the same endlag problems Marth has. But, I will change my opinion from lower mid to upper mid with the arguments you stated.

Quite a few people seem to like using Roy more than they like using Marth or Lucina. If this is representative of the general playerbase, I can see Roy being higher tiered than Marth and Lucina are.

Based on how Mii Brawler was ranked according to ZeRo, I can see Ryu being a high tier character though Ryu most likely has a learning curve going for him thanks to his many options, especially with the classic Street Fighter inputs.

Lucas could be a high tiered character considering that Ness is high tiered according to ZeRo, especially since Lucas has one of the strongest, if not the strongest, up-smash in the game.

I'm not too sure how Mewtwo would fare on the tier list, but it has its large size and being the second lightest character in the game going against it.

Tier lists boil down to usage statistics and competitive results. Characters' abilities don't always guarantee high rankings as they all need several or (preferably) lots of players to make them work and kick ass against other characters with similarly skilled players.

Fair enough, I didn't play enough of Roy or against him to get a good feel so I just sorta thought of Marth and his flaws and based my opinion off that. My biggest problem with Roy is not having enough options in neutral. Yeah, he has disjoints, good speed and grab range, but he lacks a projectile and has the same endlag problems Marth has. But, I will change my opinion from lower mid to upper mid with the arguments you stated.

I think he has fewer endlag problems, they aren't nearly as noticeable, but I do keep what you said in mind.

I played Roy nearly all of yesterday so sorry if I came off a bit strongly lol.