English Name Thread!

Anacybele

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that Xander is supposed to be in reference to Alexander as in Alexander the Great but......

Eugh, maybe it's just me since my best friend's little brother is Xander but I cannot deal with that name placed on the object of my thirst

Even just keeping it as Alexander or even Alex would've been better.......

i still love him though. a marx by any other name and all.....

personally, i'm not thirsting after marx/xander not anymore, at least , but i share your pain. "xander" makes me think of a 5 month old baby or a toddler. i do wish they had just kept with marx if they were going to change it, as it seems they thought "alexander" would be too long.

seriously, marx was a good name and it fits well. xander.... not at all, imo.

Castle Krakenburg... yeah I can't take such a glorious name so seriously. Why don't we shorten it to ''The Kraken' and hey if most of the castle is underground who knows if they're hiding anything too suspicious down there.

You never really liked him so maybe that's part of it. He's my favorite character and has been Marx to me for almost half a year. And it's just odd to go with Xander over some form of Max. At least to me anyway.

I actually forgot that I didn't like Marx when I posted "me likey" in the first post...lol

I hope the voice actors at least have the decency to not pronounce the Hoshidan characters' names in a cringey way

Well if it's like Awakening you will have the option in Extras to change the English voices to their Japanese ones, should that be the case.

Edit: Also I like the name Xander, I think it still suits him, sure Alexander might have been better or Maximilian but Xander isn't bad by any means. I'm just curious as to how they'll make a lot of the other Hoshido character's names more easily pronounceable. Same for stuff like weapons and just uniquely named items on the Hoshido side.

Edited by Kyza

The people in Treehouse pronounce Garon in a weird way.

They pronounce it as Ge-Run, similar to Charon. I prefer Gah-Ron tbh.

I mean it sounds like what I expected, which was like Ganon except with an R.

Xander isn't even a bad name but I prefer Marx.

Leon to Leo...?

Just curious, but what's the point in localizing names so differently from the Japanese version? For Nohr anyway, aren't majority of the Nohrian characters names of west origin? But I can understand them changing the Hoshido names since they might be harder to pronounce but I still wish they didn't because I'm already attached to their names...

Xander is short for Alexander, which means "Defender of the people" in Greek. It is noteworthy that from what I could find, "Marx" is German for "Mars" who is the Roman God of War. What this could mean, I leave up to you, but it might hint it at his personality.

I do wish they would've called him Alexander or hell, Maximilian would've been a better name (would definitely give off the royal vibe)

Xander makes me think of Xander Harris of Buffy the vampire slayer. That's not a good thing. I mean I liked Xander for the most part but they are very different characters. The rest of the changes all seem pretty pointless, and I don't like them changing the Hoshido names. They're supposed to be Japanese, why do they need to be localised?

no offense to anyone but this is why you shouldn't divulge and spoil everything before something releases in the west, people get too attached to the japanese names and start complaining about the most minuscule of changes (I mean really some even nitpick over the fact that one extra letter was added to a character's name yet that letter in no way affected how you pronounce that name)

as for the name changes themselves, just like any localized game, they all sound ok at least (I didn't even know half of these characters' japanese names) nothing really worth complaining about in my opinion.

then again people these days find just about any reason to complain.

no offense to anyone but this is why you shouldn't divulge and spoil everything before something releases in the west, people get too attached to the japanese names and start complaining about the most minuscule of changes (I mean really some even nitpick over the fact that one extra letter was added to a character's name yet that letter in no way affected how you pronounce that name)

I think people are nitpicking that because it seems like it is a pointless change. Rinka would have been fine since as you said the pronunciation isn't changed.

I personally don't mind the changes besides Marx and Suzukaze which I will get over so it doesn't really matter.

First things first, thank you very much for you research, we really appreciate it !

English, english, english, what the hell are you doing ? Goho-m you're drunk.

Marx become Xander, WTF, but I can eat that... I guess ? Dunno.

Suzukaze become Kaze, Leon become Leo, Rinka become Rinkah, okay, so I have one question... WHY ?! I can understand that Suzukaze become Kaze, it might be too complicated for the west and all, and the name might be too long even though it is eight letter, the maximum. But they have no excuse for Leon and Rinka, they just add/withdraw one letter !
Even worse, Leo is just too freaking dumb compared to Leon.

So one thing I don't understand, they replaced Yatogami by Ganglari then ? If so, it doesn't make any sense, Yatogami is a japanese looking sword.

Oh god, just thinking about the french names... -_-

Edited by B.Leu

Marx being Xander gave me just like : wtf ?

I think people are nitpicking that because it seems like it is a pointless change. Rinka would have been fine since as you said the pronunciation isn't changed.

I personally don't mind the changes besides Marx and Suzukaze which I will get over so it doesn't really matter.

Sorry if I sound sound rude but if something like that is such a pointless change then why bother complaining about it? that makes it even more unnecessary and no value or discussion is added.

Edited by Raimi

For what it's worth, the h does make the name sound more powerful, fierce, primal, etc. which really goes with how Rinka is presented. The original version made me think of a softer person, or at least with an idol-like aesthetic or something. Rinkah makes me want to say the name as if it were a force more than a minor spectacle.

For what it's worth, the h does make the name sound more powerful, fierce, primal, etc. which really goes with how Rinka is presented. The original version made me think of a softer person, or at least with an idol-like aesthetic or something. Rinkah makes me want to say the name as if it were a force more than a minor spectacle.

^^ I like you XD finally someone who's positive

Sorry if I sound sound rude but if something like that is such a pointless change then why bother complaining about it? that makes it even more unnecessary and no value or discussion is added.

I don't know, again I don't mind it I was just saying why I thought the people who felt that way felt that way. Hell they could 4Kids her and name her Rachel or something, but as long as Rinkah is playable I'm happy.

I just find it funny how people act like this is the first time something like this has happened. There are so many different cases of name changes throughout the Fire Emblem series, some minor and some major, I just think it's a case of people disliking change honestly. I mean once this game is finally out in the US and has been out for about a week, maybe less, I highly doubt anyone here will still be referring to them by their 'original' name. (Maybe like a handful of people but that's about it)

Edited by Kyza