English Name Thread!

Anacybele

Leo also sounds more like a commoner (nick)name. Leon at least feels more complete and royal.

The Rinkah and Ryoma name changes seems more appropriate for English since 'o' works for the 'oh' sound already without the extra 'u' and the silent 'h' is common place after vowels.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on its own, haha.

Speaking of weapons, Yatogami is now the Ganglari? I tried looking that up and the closest thing I get it is Gangleri, one of Odin's many nicknames, and it means "the wanderer."

I don't think that's Yatogami, unless it really does transform. In the Chapter 6 footage, we see Kamui with the familiar Yatogami.

Not on its own, haha.

Speaking of weapons, Yatogami is now the Ganglari? I tried looking that up and the closest thing I get it is Gangleri, one of Odin's many nicknames, and it means "the wanderer."

... I thought you meant Odin in Fire Emblem Fates lol

When I first saw the name of the sword, it reminds me of Gangrel...

and if that's so, does that mean most of Leon's/Leo's subordinates have something referencing to Odin?

忍 is basically the "nin" of the word ninja 忍者. It can be meant for something else but this seems the most fitting here and I don't know the entire word for that.

Oh, I was referring to the localized form of Kaze's class, which I didn't catch in the video. I know that Kaze referred to himself as a "ninja" in dialogue, though.

Leon was probably changed to Leo due to Lyon already being a character in FE8. Maybe, honestly, I wish they went for a full rename, Leo sounds too simple.

Yeah, sounds about right. Lyon and Leon not only share the same pronunciation, but are both wielders of magic. I can't help feel as though Leon is going to be a little jealous (just like Lyon) of the avatar just to kinda mirror Takumi's distrust so that we have at least 1 family member in both sides having a negative opinion of Kamui.

Also, "Oni Savage". Ouch, that's a little insensitive, isn't it? Savages, savages! Barely even human!

So I'm not the only one who thought that! I see how it is, the brown skinned warriors are savages...where does that sound familar...

Leon was probably changed to Leo due to Lyon already being a character in FE8. Maybe, honestly, I wish they went for a full rename, Leo sounds too simple.

I too preferred Leon but Leo makes think of the word "lion", which goes well with him being a prodigy and strong character.

Yeah, sounds about right. Lyon and Leon not only share the same pronunciation, but are both wielders of magic. I can't help feel as though Leon is going to be a little jealous (just like Lyon) of the avatar just to kinda mirror Takumi's distrust so that we have at least 1 family member in both sides having a negative opinion of Kamui.

I always found it weird when people named their kids shortened versions of longer names (like "Mike" instead of "Michael"). So it's kind of a "but why?" situation for me that he's just "Leo" rather than "Leon" which sounds like a "fuller" name, especially considering he's supposed to be royalty.

On the similar name front thing, the pronunciations are slightly different though for Lyon and Leon. Lyon was リオン ("Ree-on") and Leon in Fates is レオン ("Re-on" -- it's kind of like the first "e" in "letter"). But this is English we're talking about now so it's kind of a moot point I guess. Ah well.

He could have been named Léon and then I could have called him The Professional since he's such a prodigy.

Edited by Sardonic

Oh, I was referring to the localized form of Kaze's class, which I didn't catch in the video. I know that Kaze referred to himself as a "ninja" in dialogue, though.

If it's referring to Kaze's/Suzukaze's class, then it should be "ninja".

I just realized something kinda funny...

If Luna stays as Luna in the English version of Fates, then we'll have a Leo and Luna in the game. And...

Kaiba222Yu-Gi-Oh5DsEP-104_PIC602.jpg

^These two anime characters are also named Leo and Luna in English. XD It'd be funny if someone did a Photoshop joke. :P

Remember how much people complained about Cordelia's name change? And now no one even remember's what it was

TIAMOOOOOOO

I have a better reference about name complaints to those who have been in this community long enough to remember it.

"Vergil".

**Reaction to Marx, Leon, and Suzukaze name changes**

I'm with the crowd on Marx --> Xander sounding a bit weird of a change. If it's lip-synching purposes, I don't know. It's not the first time they changed it to a vastly different name (Tiamo --> Cordelia; Tiamat --> Titania).

We already have Leonardo, which we shorten to Leo. Why do we need an official "Leo"? If it was to remove any Communist references, I guess so?

"Kaze" should not be a character limit change. Maribelle is longer character-wise. It was likely to limit down the Japanese pronunciation, which... eh. I'm still going to call him Suzukaze because it makes sense ("Suzukaze" --> "Suzu" = "cool", "kaze" = wind; "cool wind/breeze"). Just calling him "Wind" is weird to me.

Alexander the Great for a conqueror feel

I think literally any Roman emperor's name would've been better. Or Maximus! Close to the original, brings to mind that movie "Gladiator" where the character named Maximus goes against a tyrannical emperor and ends up reforming a nation by appealing to the people. ALSO THE NAME ITSELF MEANS GREAT.

please nintendo how much do i gotta pay you to change it i'll do it i've already spent money on this man

Yeah. I get it, but Marx... Marx is better. I thought it would at least be something along the lines of Max if it did get changed. Maximus, Maxwell, or just plain Max would've been better. Alexander would've been better. Xander is going to take some getting used to. I'll always and forever call him Marx.

I just had a thought. Maybe the reason for Rinkah's spelling is that the localization is trying to portray the Fire clan as a different race of people that live in Hoshido but are less Japanese-y, so to speak. Englishifying the name is not by itself an adequate explanation, since Ryoma and Hinoka didn't get the same treatment.

I just had a thought. Maybe the reason for Rinkah's spelling is that the localization is trying to portray the Fire clan as a different race of people that live in Hoshido but are less Japanese-y, so to speak. Englishifying the name is not by itself an adequate explanation, since Ryoma and Hinoka didn't get the same treatment.

This is my guess. I wonder if Tsukuyomi will also receive the same treatment.

I must be the only person that prefers Xander to Marx by a longshot...

You never really liked him so maybe that's part of it. He's my favorite character and has been Marx to me for almost half a year. And it's just odd to go with Xander over some form of Max. At least to me anyway.

Can we pretend that Suzukaze decided to shorten his name to "Kaze" to take pity on the poor Nohrians whom he will be working with on the Nohr route?

[6/16/15 5:28:21 PM] Boron: Elise: Ah … is your name Suku … Sasu … Zuku … Zuzu … Sazukuze?

[6/16/15 5:28:37 PM] Boron: Suzukaze: … Please just call me "Kaze"

This is my guess. I wonder if Tsukuyomi will also receive the same treatment.

I'm gonna go ahead and call that the majority of the Hoshidan side will be getting the same treatment.

Edited by BlizzardWolf95

I hope the voice actors at least have the decency to not pronounce the Hoshidan characters' names in a cringey way

We can only hope, i personally can't wait until they reveal the who voices whom.