English Name Thread!

Anacybele

Yeah, changing to Harold to Arthur seemed weird. We already have an Arthur and an Artur. Now there's another Arthur. Oh well, it doesn't really matter anyway.

Yeah. So much for not confusing players wth similar name...

I'm not even angry at this change, just completely confused.

Elfie to Effie is OK. I don't have strong opinion for one or the other. Jakob sounds more like a normal name, for better and worse.

I prefer Silas compared to Cyrus.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elfie to Effie is fine with me. Elfie was too close to... well, elf, for my liking. Effie I at least know is used as a name/nickname irl, whereas I haven't heard of Elfie before though (personally).

Harold to Arthur seems pointless but whatever. Jacob I'm fine with too just because I think Joker would be too similar to Joker from Batman (it's all I picture when someone says Joker at least).

And both Silas and Cyrus are cool names so either works for me. Don't think they would have gone wrong with either.

... *sees Cyrus got changed to Silas*

FFFFFFF

[spoiler=Pettiness]

Goddammit, if/Fates. I wanted you to not use that name. I sincerely hoped you wouldn't.

Can I just have ONE thing in my life? You just had to take one of my FE-inspired characters' names and use it for your own.

Fuck

Edited by Dual Dragons

I forgot about the card game thing. But where were the other card names? I don't recall seeing a Jack or Ace or anything.

There weren't other names; and funnily enough, the two names you fired out are what I figured Joker would be localized as.

... *sees Cyrus got changed to Silas*

FFFFFFF

[spoiler=Pettiness]

Goddammit, if/Fates. I wanted you to not use that name. I sincerely hoped you wouldn't.

Can I just have ONE thing in my life? You just had to take one of my FE-inspired characters' names and use it for your own.

Fuck

At least it isn't Sirius...

There weren't other names; and funnily enough, the two names you fired out are what I figured Joker would be localized as.

I actually thought he'd be Jack myself. :P

And if there weren't other characters named for playing cards, where did people get the idea that Nohr had a card game theme?

Edited by Anacybele

I actually thought he'd be Jack myself. :P

And if there weren't other characters named for playing cards, where did people get the idea that Nohr had a card game theme?

Armor seems to make use of alot of spade symbols (look at the announcement trailer, for example). In addition, Felicia and Elise clearly have heart symbols on them.

Edited by Leon of Nohr

Armor seems to make use of alot of spade symbols (look at the announcement trailer, for example). In addition, Felicia and Elise clearly have heart symbols on them.

Oh yeah... And I can see club/clover shapes on Xander's armor in your sig there. You're right. Huh.

Am I the only the one so far who does not like Cyrus to Sileas?

I just can't help it, Sileas just reminds me of the albino killer monk in da vinci code D: and he was going to be my husbandu goddamit

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/06/17/fire-emblem-fates-gameplay-demo-ign-live-e3-2015

I think Corrin is the localized name for Kamui. The name is Corrin in this video.

I knew I heard the lady right in the Treehouse stream from yesterday! I'll put this back in the OP.

Cool video too. ^^

Ever heard of Effie White? One of the main characters from the Broadway play "Dream Girls"?

It's not so odd.

I've not heard of, them, no.

Interesting, looks like it hasn't been a widely used name since the 1950s? (idk how reliable the site I was looking at is though)

Edited by L95

I'm still mad about Xander, but Jakob might be even worse.

Joker was such a majestic name and now it's ruined with something so generic.

(No offense to the Jakobs out there)

Why couldn't they leave Kamui alone? It's Japanese. He's from Hoshido. Doesn't take a genius.

...Then again, considering who I first think of when I hear the name Corrin, it actually kinda makes sense (doubt they were aiming to reference that, but...).

Why couldn't they leave Kamui alone? It's Japanese. He's from Hoshido. Doesn't take a genius.

I don't know if having a Hoshidan name when you're supposed to be a Nohrian royal is the best idea. And I don't think Papa Garon went to ask what your real name was after kidnapping you, either.

I actually like Silas. I liked Cyrus too, but I'm not heartbroken. Harold to Arthur is another weird "why" one. It seems people were right to say that after Marx became Xander, nobody was safe.

Effie... Effie... Eff ee... FE...

Fire Emblem...

Guys. I figured it out. It's a pun. This minor name change was, of course, all for the sake of a pun. It all makes sense.

JK.

I'm meh overall on the name changes... I feel like whatever I get introduced to first naturally feels right to me, but they'll most likely grow on me the more I am exposed to them in-game. Except for maybe Harold. That name fit him so well, I just can't think of him as an "Arthur"...

I actually like Silas. I liked Cyrus too, but I'm not heartbroken. Harold to Arthur is another weird "why" one. It seems people were right to say that after Marx became Xander, nobody was safe.

...Except that was most likely an attempt to match lip-flaps in cutscenes; Marx's name is pronounced with more then one syllable in Japanese.

Effie... Effie... Eff ee... FE...

Fire Emblem...

Guys. I figured it out. It's a pun. This minor name change was, of course, all for the sake of a pun. It all makes sense.

JK.

Effie is the Fire Emblem!

Corrin is.. odd sounding. It doesn't sound like a unisex name to me. Sounds like a male name.

I don't know if having a Hoshidan name when you're supposed to be a Nohrian royal is the best idea. And I don't think Papa Garon went to ask what your real name was after kidnapping you, either.

Considering the exchange

Corrin: "I'm Corrin."

Kaze: "Corrin...Can it be?"

I'd say Garon did use his/her birth name.