English Name Thread!

Anacybele

Oh, right, song chick.

Azura is one letter off of Azure, which was Inigo's Japanese name. I guess it sounds a bit more royal than Aqua, but eh.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tsubaki to Subaki makes no sense. Is Subaki even a real Japanese name/word? At least Kaze and Hana are even though I'm not crazy about Hana.

Azura sounds way too much like a fan character name. Aqua is much better.

Harold to Arthur is weird because Harold is already in English and we already have an Arthur and an Artur.

Usually I don't mind for localization changes but this game is making a lot of seemingly unnecessary ones.

Technically Arthur in FE4 is a fan translation and since he's Harold in Japan, they technically don't share a name.

Is the removal of the T from Tsubaki's name really that much of a deal

Yeah. But I'm a stickler for name spelling. I won't speak for anyone else in this thread.

Oh brilliant I didn't know Aqua was a daedric lord in disguise.

Gotta say these localization choices seem quite facepalm worthy.

Am I crazy for pronouncing tsu and su differently

Eh not really... I pronounce them slightly differently.

To be honest, I might have trouble remembering some of those names if I didn't try to. I can't even remember Hana's and Tsubaki's name before looking it up. I remembered Suzukaze's name since I know the word kaze so its slightly easier for me. The change for Tsubaki to Subaki is weird though...

They should name Pieri Harley.

Pieri reminds me of pierot and weird female clowns remind me of Harley Quinn.

I'm actually fine with Marx being Xander.

They were probably going for an Alexander the Great motif there.

Edited by Lexington

They're only really pronounced differently if they're in the middle of words, not at the beginning

In my experience the average English speaker says "tsunami" as if the "t" is silent, but in spoken Japanese there is definitely a discernible difference between す (su) and つ (tsu) regardless of where they are in a word. And after 6 courses in Japanese and hundreds of hours of anime and visual novels, "Subaki" bugs me. I didn't agree with adding "h" to Rinkah or dropping Ryoma's "u," but I got used to them pretty quickly. But "Subaki" bugs me more with each passing hour. It just sounds wrong.

Here's a fun fact: If Takumi's name is changed even slightly, then all of your brothers' names would have changed (Marx -> Xander, Leon -> Leo, Ryouma -> Ryoma,

Takumi -> ?), while all of your sisters' names would stay the same (Camilla, Elise, Hinoka, and Sakura have all been confirmed as unchanged).

Edited by ClevelandSteve

Am I crazy for pronouncing tsu and su differently

No. You're supposed to. Otherwise, you wind up with VERY different meanings. For example. . .

月 - tsuki (moon)

好き - suki (to like)

Which is why Tsubaki's name change is a little weird.

Here's a fun fact: If Takumi's name is changed even slightly, then all of your brothers' names would have changed (Marx -> Xander, Leon -> Leo, Ryouma -> Ryoma,

Takumi -> ?), while all of your sisters' names would stay the same (Camilla, Elise, Hinoka, and Sakura have all been confirmed as unchanged).

I don't see why they should change Takumi though.

I don't see why they should change Takumi though.

I can't think of what they COULD possibly even change it to.

Oh brilliant I didn't know Aqua was a daedric lord in disguise.

Gotta say these localization choices seem quite facepalm worthy.

Considering how bad of a name Aqua was (or is), and Azure is a shade of a blue (and a little Google search tells me Azura is Arabic for blue), I think it fits fine. Unless you want to argue that a name themed around blue doesn't fit her?

I can't think of what they COULD possibly even change it to.

Tak.

No, I'm serious. Initial D had the same problem, and that's their solution. I hope IS thinks differently, and leaves Takumi alone!

Tak.

No, I'm serious. Initial D had the same problem, and that's their solution. I hope IS thinks differently, and leaves Takumi alone!

Wat.

"Tak" doesn't even look like a name, and it sounds like a sound effect. At least "Subaki" sort of looked like a name.

Edited by Sunwoo

Tak.

Even though there've been changes, so far the Hoshidan names have kept a Japanese angle, even if Rinkah is sort of weird in that regard. Instead of Tak I could see it being changed to Taku or something. If not I can see them just keeping it as Takumi or changing it altogether.