English Name Thread!

Anacybele

well, communism is seen as really bad, thanks to the cold war, so naturally communism jokes pop up a lot. that's really all there is to it.

as for the names, i do think that's why they changed the name marx, however same as you, i would have never picked it up unless someone pointed it out, and even then. whatever. cold war's over and he's dead and it's a totally unrelated character, so.

as for leon, it's because there's a character in sacred stones named "lyon," and they're pronounced the same, really.

You could make the connection of the name Leon to communism (like Xander/Marx) by Leon Trotsky, though not sure if that's generally known enough to warrant a name change. It would be amusing if Leo had a power struggle with Xander.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could make the connection of the name Leon to communism (like Xander/Marx) by Leon Trotsky, though not sure if that's generally known enough to warrant a name change. It would be amusing if Leo had a power struggle with Xander.

from my experience, the only communist ever mentioned is karl marx. like, i'm pretty sure most people think he's (trotsky) is an author, lmao.

i know i did until 7th grade or so.

Azura is an extremely pretty name. I quite like it. Kazahana to Hana is also pretty nice.

Harold to Arthur is a big jump but I think it suits him in the heroic sense.

Joker to Jakob is pretty good (even though it's weird since I read the new name as Yah-cob instead of Jay-cob and doesn't sound as close to his original name.) and I'm glad that when I see him now I won't picture him fighting off Batman.

Kamui to Corrin is alright. It's not like I'll be using that name anyways, but for a default it's nice.

I'm not sure what to feel about Xander, but I'll get used to it and I'm pretty sure it will grow on me.

I feel like we are biased based on our own translations. We complain about the new names if they are anything but what we thought, but I think the new ones might be good. Recently I showed my sister Arthur/Harold, calling him Arthur first. She said she liked the name, and she said she liked harold a lot less when I told her his original ones.

So maybe they are actually better and we just don't realize.

I like all the changes with the exception of the stupid adding or removing a letter so people know how to pronounce them.Uhhh...

from my experience, the only communist ever mentioned is karl marx. like, i'm pretty sure most people think he's (trotsky) is an author, lmao.

i know i did until 7th grade or so.

Yeah, I'm not sure how many people do know Leon Trotsky. The only reason I know the guy was because I was fortunate to spend three months analyzing Animal Farm in school. Though it would be amusing to see a power struggle between Leo and Xander.

So, exactly how many jokes do you think will be made about the similarities between "Azura" and "Azula"?

The change of Tsubaki's name does seem to be really insulting our intelligence, though. I mean, words like "Tsunami" have entered the English language so I think most people can guess how "Tsubaki" is pronounced. Kazahana's name getting shortened to Hana seems like a no-brainer after they did pretty much the same thing with Suzukaze's name.

Jesus... does the localization team think so little of the western audience that they think we'll be unable to say words with 4 syllables?

Yato, Hana, Kaze... And now we have 'Subaki'. What are they expecting? "These names are too hard to say! I hate this game! I'm going to tell all my friends not to buy it!"

These sound like the sort of names weaboo fanfiction writers would give to their OCs.

"This is my character Yomi. It's clever because it means 'read' in Japanese and he reads magic talismans!"

Edited by NekoKnight

I just went through the Hoshidan character list and I think hope that besides Tsukuyomi, the rest of them are safe from radical name changes.

Like, I can see them dropping the 'u' from Saizou and/or Kagerou maybe. But I can't even think of a logical reason for why the others would need to be changed, given that the royals' names were left alone.

I feel like we are biased based on our own translations. We complain about the new names if they are anything but what we thought, but I think the new ones might be good. Recently I showed my sister Arthur/Harold, calling him Arthur first. She said she liked the name, and she said she liked harold a lot less when I told her his original ones.

So maybe they are actually better and we just don't realize.

Uhhh. . .MAYBE to the Nohr ones (except for Xander, seriously WTF). But Hoshido? Uhhh. . .

- I'll buy Boron's explanation that Suzukaze shortened his name for the sake of the Nohr guys.

- Subaki. . .er. . .what. Blazblue had no problem with Tsubaki, so I don't get why this was changed.

- Like Suzukaze, I can see why Kazahana was shortened. . .but "hana" can refer to nose, flower, or this, in my mind.

- Not overly happy with Rinka's extra "h", but it's probably the least worst of the cast.

Kazahana being changed to Hana doesn't bother me because as far as I know it's a legit Japanese name. Rinkah looks weird with the extra "h" at the end, but I'm not that annoyed. Tsubaki to Subaki is the most questionable of the Hoshido name changes, but I'm too tired to rage about it … nor will me raging about it change it back to Tsubaki.

Uhhh. . .MAYBE to the Nohr ones (except for Xander, seriously WTF). But Hoshido? Uhhh. . .

- I'll buy Boron's explanation that Suzukaze shortened his name for the sake of the Nohr guys.

- Subaki. . .er. . .what. Blazblue had no problem with Tsubaki, so I don't get why this was changed.

- Like Suzukaze, I can see why Kazahana was shortened. . .but "hana" can refer to nose, flower, or this, in my mind.

- Not overly happy with Rinka's extra "h", but it's probably the least worst of the cast.

It's all over the place. Some names are cut in half, others have a single letter removed and others have them arbitrarily added.

Tsubaki to Subaki makes no sense. Is Subaki even a real Japanese name/word? At least Kaze and Hana are even though I'm not crazy about Hana.

Azura sounds way too much like a fan character name. Aqua is much better.

Harold to Arthur is weird because Harold is already in English and we already have an Arthur and an Artur.

Usually I don't mind for localization changes but this game is making a lot of seemingly unnecessary ones.

Edited by Book Bro