Still can't decide whether to go Hoshido or Nohr first.

SilverPants

168 members have voted

1. 1. Hoshido or Nohr first?

• Hosido
    • Nohr

It does.

Nohr are the aggressors, they killed your father, stole you away from your family and home, they locked you up and even the siblings refuse to let you return home.

Your siblings were probably too young to remember, too, or at least to understand. Camilla and Xander, at the most have to be around 20, and Kamui looks to be about 16 or so, so even if you were ~3 when you were kidnapped, Xander and Camilla would have only been 6-7, and would not understand what had happened. Garon might have lied to them, too. The real question is why did your father bring you to Castle Krackenburg (that name is so stupid) at that age? Was Aqua kidnapped before you were? Was this when Aqua was taken? A political exchange of prisoners?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, cslucaris' image is extremely relevant for all those who still haven't made up their minds:

357.gif

so what if i have linked that before fite me

Seriously though, I was planning on playing through the Hoshido route primarily for the difficulty curve, but after how interesting and tense the Nohr route came across in the Treehouse stream, I almost switched sides. However, I'm still going to play Hoshido first since, as you aptly put it, it might just not be as appealing after having played the Nohr route first.

Also, can I just say that I didn't expect the choice to actually make me feel anything? I almost felt bad watching the stream when the Nohrian siblings arrive and are so happy to see you, not knowing you had already sided with Hoshido.

Edited by Thane

The Nohr siblings are still his siblings, though. Blood isn't everything. They grew up loving Corrin and obviously still loved him after they found out he's not related to them. Xander, as next in line for the Nohrian throne, risked everything with all he did to help out and protect Corrin. I wouldn't put it past Garon to execute any of his kids if he found they went behind his back to help Corrin.

That's one reason why I have to play the Nohr version first. It grieves me the thought of Corrin turning his back on the siblings he grew up with and who love him so dearly. I'm sure the Hoshido siblings will be fantastic, too, and I'm looking forward to seeing their relationships with Corrin, but it's going to be sooo hard for me to play the Hoshido version.

Yes, but the problem is, do you agree with what they're doing? Are they in the right? Nohr is attacking Hoshido, who just want to be at peace. And the royals let you grow up believing you were one of them. No matter how much they may actually love you, if my family made some questionable decisions, I'm not going to support that. And Corrin can definitely suspect weird shit going on in Nohr when he/she has to choose who to side with.

I'm not saying it wouldn't hurt to have to go against them. It definitely would. If my mom went and stabbed someone, I would turn her in, but god damn would that make me go insane. But just because they love you doesn't mean you have to side with them in a conflict. And just because you didn't grow up in Hoshido like you were supposed to doesn't mean those royals can't form just as strong a bond with you and actually be in the right. It comes down to what you believe to be correct.

If you believe remaining with Nohr is the best way to end the conflict and bring everyone to peace, that's your choice then.

If you believe going against them and siding with Hoshido is what's best for both, that's your choice.

Edited by Anacybele

Once again, cslucaris' image is extremely relevant for all those who still haven't made up their minds:

357.gif

so what if i have linked that before fite me

Seriously though, I was planning on playing through the Hoshido route primarily for the difficulty curve, but after how interesting and tense the Nohr route came across in the Treehouse stream, I almost switched sides. However, I'm still going to play Hoshido first since, as you aptly put it, it might just not be as appealing after having played the Nohr route first.

Also, can I just say that I didn't expect the choice to actually make me feel anything? I almost felt bad watching the stream when the Nohrian siblings arrive and are so happy to see you, not knowing you had already sided with Hoshido.

I wouldn't call Hinoka moe but otherwise it was a funny picture.

And I felt the same way after watching the treehouse stream. I thought choosing between the two would be like picking which LoZ Oracles game to play first but now I feel strangely attached to both sides and like I'll be a traitor for abandoning the people Corrin grew up with. On the other hand, picking Nohr will still be bittersweet seeing how happy they were to finally see you....*sigh*

This game has potential to be a good tearjerker.

Yeah, probably won't even buy the game now what with all the bickering.

Why would you think I wouldn't get this game? I actually have it preordered and I'm pretty excited to start playing it next week.

As for all the bickering, I actually love this kind of thing. It's nice to see so many reasons to go with either path and people so passionate about the one they choose.

BTW for those wondering if I've decided... even though I really want to go with Nohr, I think I have to go with Hoshido first because of how excited I am for Nohr. Does that make any sense? No, But after reading what everyone said, I think it would be best to save the "subjectively" better path for last. If I could have only chose one path though, it would have been Nohr without a doubt.

Yes, but the problem is, do you agree with what they're doing? Are they in the right? Nohr is attacking Hoshido, who just want to be at peace. And the royals let you grow up believing you were one of them. No matter how much they may actually love you, if my family made some questionable decisions, I'm not going to support that. And Corrin can definitely suspect weird shit going on in Nohr when he/she has to choose who to side with.

I'm not saying it wouldn't hurt to have to go against them. It definitely would. If my mom went and stabbed someone, I would turn her in, but god damn would that make me go insane. But just because they love you doesn't mean you have to side with them in a conflict. And just because you didn't grow up in Hoshido like you were supposed to doesn't mean those royals can't form just as strong a bond with you and actually be in the right. It comes down to what you believe to be correct.

If you believe remaining with Nohr is the best way to end the conflict and bring everyone to peace, that's your choice then.

If you believe going against them and siding with Hoshido is what's best for both, that's your choice.

It would be a very hard situation to be in but defecting to the enemy just because I don't agree with my family's actions is not something I'd do. Especially since there's a good chance they would be killed by that decision. I'd stay with them and change Nohr from the inside. To me, that's what would be best for Nohr and Hoshido in the long run.

Anyway, and I'm theorizing here, I'm thinking once you get the Nohr siblings on your side, the fight will turn from Hoshido towards Garon or whoever is the big bad. You could possibly end the war with Hoshido faster by choosing the Nohr route, lol. Not that there wouldn't be casulties... I don't see IS letting whichever older brother you fight live.

Why would you think I wouldn't get this game? I actually have it preordered and I'm pretty excited to start playing it next week.

As for all the bickering, I actually love this kind of thing. It's nice to see so many reasons to go with either path and people so passionate about the one they choose.

BTW for those wondering if I've decided... even though I really want to go with Nohr, I think I have to go with Hoshido first because of how excited I am for Nohr. Does that make any sense? No, But after reading what everyone said, I think it would be best to save the "subjectively" better path for last. If I could have only chose one path though, it would have been Nohr without a doubt.

I was kidding, buddy. I've got it pre-downloaded and I'm very excited as well...probably a bit too excited.

I agree with your choice and it makes perfect sense. As it stands, Nohr seems to be the path that simply offers the more interesting experience, and Hoshido might pale in comparison, so you simply savor it by playing through the other version first. We have very limited footage to go on, but the seventh chapter on the Nohr side was just amazing, in my opinion, and it got me incredibly hyped for the game.

Edited by Thane

You know, unless you only have enough money to buy one at first, there's nothing saying that you have to finish one side before starting the other. You could simply go through both scenarios at the same time (i.e. play Hoshido Ch. 12 then Nohr Ch. 12 then Ch. 13).

I was kidding, buddy. I've got it pre-downloaded and I'm very excited as well...probably a bit too excited.

I agree with your choice and it makes perfect sense. As it stands, Nohr seems to be the path that simply offers the more interesting experience, and Hoshido might pale in comparison, so you simply savor it by playing through the other version first. We have very limited footage to go on, but the seventh chapter on the Nohr side was just amazing, in my opinion, and it got me incredibly hyped for the game.

Gotcha. I am a little jealous however of the fact that you can play the game right when it comes out. I usually prefer physical copies for my games so I have to wait until the game arrives, but a few days wait isn't too bad.

My Japanese is a little iffy so I'll be using your guide to help me along, but other than kanji, I should be able to understand what's going on most of the time. Really helpful thing you made there, I've been using it to play though FE 1 on my 3DS.

Gotcha. I am a little jealous however of the fact that you can play the game right when it comes out. I usually prefer physical copies for my games so I have to wait until the game arrives, but a few days wait isn't too bad.

My Japanese is a little iffy so I'll be using your guide to help me along, but other than kanji, I should be able to understand what's going on most of the time. Really helpful thing you made there, I've been using it to play though FE 1 on my 3DS.

I also prefer physical copies, but aside from having a few bad experiences with shipping/mail in general recently, I chose the eshop version simply because I lack restraint and patience. I'll buy the physical copy of the English versions next year though, I believe.

Why thank you! I'm very glad to hear people are actively using it already! I wasn't sure anyone other than me would bother to read it when I was writing it, haha.

It took me a while to decide, for many of the same reasons as you, but in the end I decided to go with Nohr first.

Both sides have plenty to offer, but I expect I'll enjoy Nohr more... and after thinking on it, that's one reason to start with it; I want my first impression of Fates to be of the game at its best. The harder difficulty is another, as I will want to play both paths, and I tend to feel burnt out after finishing things I enjoy. Leaving the easier game for last makes it likely I'll get around to it quicker. Third, the characters... I'm expecting Hoshido to present Nohr's characters as straight-up villains more often than not, and I hope that, by playing through Nohr and getting to know them first, the conflict will be more interesting on the other side.

So while Hoshido seemed the obvious first choice, I ended up settling on Nohr.

This swayed me. Thank you!