Lunatic mode...

Missile

So this mode is coming back in this new episode in both versions. Loved it in FE12 but not that much in Awakening, the former wanted you to play in a clever and offensive way when Awakening forced you to use pair up and only a few characters (and you break the game with the Avatar). It seems different with Fates though...

I've only seen a part of the Nohr stream (on lunatic mode) and what caught my attention is the enemies stats, they are weak ! (I saw a level 8 pegasus rider with only 12 at speed). Still, the streamer reseted a lot but it doesn't seem that the enemies are as powerful as they used to be in this mode. It's too soon to start complaining about the game's difficulty but I cannot say that I'm not worried... Hope Lunatic + delivers.

Things started looking difficult for me at Chapter 5 thanks to some clever placement of enemy units. But yeah, overall, it does feel weaker than the other Lunatic modes.

Are you playing the game? Which chapter are you on?

Are you playing the game? Which chapter are you on?

Yes I'm playing, although progress will likely be slow. I said it's not that difficult, but it's still Lunatic and I've been spending 20~30-ish turns per chapter.

I've just cleared Chapter 5, and I'm right at the beginning of Chapter 6 where you choose sides.

I said I'd pick Nohr first, but actually seeing the game in action makes me want to change mind...

Edited by nocturnal YL

I've got up to Chapter 8 in Nohr in Lunatic and it gets quite a bit more tricky after chapter 6. Chapter 7 has every Faceless with Four Fangs(20% max HP taken off after the battle) with some of them with with Snake Venom(20% HP more taken off) and the paired up ones(both main and support) have Seal Speed. The Boss has Four Fangs, Deadly Breath and that General Skill that prevents either side from doubling.

Chapter 8 has some Fighters with Prescient Victory(+4 damage when initating battle) which caught me off guard. The enemies stats don't rise as much as Awakenings and some you can defeat in one round without much trouble but Dual Strikes, paired enemies and them seemingly having predetermined skills, the difficulty built up quickly si far. In addition it appears to me(but I can't be certain) EXP gain for killing enemies decreases sharply if you're a few levels higher than the enemies.

I've got up to Chapter 8 in Nohr in Lunatic and it gets quite a bit more tricky after chapter 6. Chapter 7 has every Faceless with Four Fangs(20% max HP taken off after the battle) with some of them with with Snake Venom(20% HP more taken off) and the paired up ones(both main and support) have Seal Speed. The Boss has Four Fangs, Deadly Breath and that General Skill that prevents either side from doubling.

Chapter 8 has some Fighters with Prescient Victory(+4 damage when initating battle) which caught me off guard. The enemies stats don't rise as much as Awakenings and some you can defeat in one round without much trouble but Dual Strikes, paired enemies and them seemingly having predetermined skills, the difficulty built up quickly si far. In addition it appears to me(but I can't be certain) EXP gain for killing enemies decreases sharply if you're a few levels higher than the enemies.

Seems like they nerfed "pure" enemy stats but in exchange, they gave them some tools to be more annoying. Which is fine for me since stats inflations in Awakening didn't make the game that challenging after all.

But does it make the (early) game easier or harder at the moment ?

I like what I'm hearing so far. Really like Awakening's number of enemy and aggressive behavior but can't come in term with that hax stat and forged weapon. It seems that they really make a mix between Awakening's Hard mode stats and Lunatic AI behavior, skills, and placement.

Well apperently its easy at the begginng but later on in the levels, even on normal it gets really challenging. It was funny how long some of those later chapters took, and it wsnt the streamers fault either. Constant reinforcements with enemies that hit like a truck. Lunatic might be easy like all the levels early on but Im betting its gonna be brutal later on, I do like that better than awakenings early levels of lunatic and lunatic plus. Lunatic was more based on skill, and you didnt have to abuse your avatar but lunatic+..pretty much just luck based in the first 5 chapters

Well apperently its easy at the begginng but later on in the levels, even on normal it gets really challenging. It was funny how long some of those later chapters took, and it wsnt the streamers fault either. Constant reinforcements with enemies that hit like a truck. Lunatic might be easy like all the levels early on but Im betting its gonna be brutal later on, I do like that better than awakenings early levels of lunatic and lunatic plus. Lunatic was more based on skill, and you didnt have to abuse your avatar but lunatic+..pretty much just luck based in the first 5 chapters

Yeah I keep reminding on the stream chat that "this is on normal guys". The enemy hits like a truck, our units have barely any HP, yet somehow it feels much fair that Awakening. Maybe it because the enemy stats and weapon aren't haxxed like the case with Awakening.

Lunatic mode feels a lot more manageable overall. Aside from Aqua and Sakura getting one rounded by chapter 5 mercenaries, nobody is getting one rounded at base stats, which is something that was really irritating about Awakening's Lunatic mode. Some of the characters are also extremely useful at base stats, such as Arthur, Elfie, and Silas.

I'm only on chapter 8, but so far Nohr's Lunatic mode has felt quite difficult but fair.

Edited by Monado Boy

The Chinese streamer guy is still stuck on Nohr Chapter 10 for two days lol. I think that's the one chapter most people are having a hard time with. Also, from my observation, if you kill with a pre-promote like Camilla, you only get 1 XP per kill.

To be fair I don't think Hoshido normal looks that hard, the enemy placement seems laughable. It's just that the player was not very cautious at times, and not to mention the horrendous growth of most characters...

The Chinese streamer guy is still stuck on Nohr Chapter 10 for two days lol. I think that's the one chapter most people are having a hard time with. Also, from my observation, if you kill with a pre-promote like Camilla, you only get 1 XP per kill.

Is that the level where you have to defend certain spots?

To be fair I don't think Hoshido normal looks that hard, the enemy placement seems laughable. It's just that the player was not very cautious at times, and not to mention the horrendous growth of most characters...

It was discovery run, so Hama just pick whatever unit he likes instead of perfomance. Also besides placement, the enemy have more passive AI behavior even in Chapter 27.

As for Nohr, while it seems they have better growth individually, on average they are on par with Hoshido so it'll be much, much harder later on for Nohr player considering the enemy placement, map layout, and AI behaviour will be trickier.

Sounds amazing. In awakening they tried to make lunatic hard by making stats ridiculously high, but due to how fast the avatar grew, the mode ended up quite easy to break. This new lunatic sounds way fairer and harder to break, since you can't just leave an overpowered unit in the middle of the map and watch they kill everything while at the same time, enemies can't one shot the other units.

Edited by Nobody

Do we know yet if there is a Lunatic+ style difficulty?

I'm not that far but from the skills section Vincent ASM made there's a bunch of crazy skills from Evade/Hit +10 downards that aren't assigned to any class.

http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/miscellaneous/skills/

I think it's likely enemies will be using those on Lunatic+ if there is one unless they start appearing towards the end of Lunatic.

Edited by arvilino

Do we know yet if there is a Lunatic+ style difficulty?

I would like to know as well and how the enemies change. I hope its not like Awakening where almost every enemy gets counter. I didn't like how it made 2 range weapons mandatory and pretty much made 1 range weapons obsolete.

I'm not that far but from the skills section Vincent ASM made there's a bunch of crazy skills from Evade/Hit +10 downards that aren't assigned to any class.

http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/miscellaneous/skills/

I think it's likely enemies will be using those on Lunatic+ if there is one unless they start appearing towards the end of Lunatic.

Doesn't seem like there are skills like Pavise +, Luna + or others things like that. The others skills are not that broken for a Lunatic + difficulty (especially when they are 4 redundant skills)

Maybe Lunatic + isn't like Awakening anymore. Or maybe there is no Lunatic + at all (can the datamining confirm that ? )

Edited by Missile