S-rank is back! *spoilers maybe*

Espinosa

It looks like this game has a drastically different weapon rank system compared to Awakening. Back then, you could reach A rank in any weapon type that you possess, but not even promoted classes can go beyond B rank in some gear.

One thing I've been more interested in is why very few classes can reach S-rank in a weapon type; in fact, it seems like it's one class per each weapon type to get to S:

Swords - Trueblade

Lances - Holy Lancer

Axes - Berserker

Bows - Holy Bowman

Tomes - Sorcerer

Staves - Maid/Butler

Kunai - Elite Ninja

Stones - Managarmr/Nine-Tailed Fox

It appears that the player will not be able to have an S-rank user for every weapon type on either Hoshido or Nohr path, so I'm wondering how much difference S-rank caps could make. Are there any notable S-rank weapons or bonuses that greatly exceed those attributed to A-rank? What do we know so far?

Hell yeah S-rank ! Plus, they seem to be really freaking badass !

What, not S-rank dragonstone ? Sad. :/

Ah ah, those with S-rank in stavs are the Maids/Butlers, poor Sakura. :p

Marry Sakura to Jakob or Kamui and use a marriage seal. Except I just remembered that staves still have durability and so the S rank staff is probably going to fall cleanly under 'too good to use'.

Edited by capmalachi

Marry Sakura to Jakob or Kamui and use a marriage seal. Except I just remembered that staves still have durability and so the S rank staff is probably going to fall cleanly under 'too good to use'.

Ah I know what you mean, I have heaps of weapons I never use because I don't want them to break ;-;

That's kinda crappy, isn't it?

Specifically, after you use a weapon like this, your attacking stat is halved until the next time you initiate a battle using that weapon. Essentially your attacking stat will be halved for the entire enemy phase but will be back to normal during your player phase. I think that's how it works.

EDIT: initiate a battle period, using any weapon

Edited by Bovinian

That's kinda crappy, isn't it?

The weapons have pretty extreme Might and Hit, and seem to have some extra bonus on them as well. The Sword gives a good amount of avoid, I think.

Silly, I'm not going to give my little sister to anyone. Yeah, I'm asshamed of her, but I don't give my possessions like that.

Halves stats ? Well, it's just Str/Mag, right ? No biggie.

Halves stats ? Well, it's just Str/Mag, right ? No biggie.

Yeah, who cares about dealing good damage?

Also, if you're marrying Sakura to MU, you could always pick Rod Knight as his secondary class for Maid/Butler access.

Well, it is halves Str/Mag after you attacked with it, no ? Thus, it'll only be a problem if you have Galeforce, or during the Ennemy phase.
If you use those S-Rank Weapons, you'll have to be prepared for the consequences, and it doesn't seem to be that much of a problem to me.

Well, it is halves Str/Mag after you attacked with it, no ? Thus, it'll only be a problem if you have Galeforce, or during the Ennemy phase.

If you use those S-Rank Weapons, you'll have to be prepared for the consequences, and it doesn't seem to be that much of a problem to me.

It's actually awesome if you have Galeforce, because it means you can kill someone with that weapon, get an extra action, then switch to some other weapon that doesn't have the halving stat drawback. The drawback disappears as soon as you initiate another battle.

Looking at the item lists thus far, there don't appear to be an S-rank sword or S-rank lance; just katana and naginata.

Gonna assume there's similarly no S-rank bow, baton, kunai, or spell

​I rather like this system, personally. It makes sense that the units that dedicate themselves solely to a single weapon type would have greater aptitude in it

It's actually awesome if you have Galeforce, because it means you can kill someone with that weapon, get an extra action, then switch to some other weapon that doesn't have the halving stat drawback. The drawback disappears as soon as you initiate another battle.

Well that's great then ! :D

You use a badass S-Rank Weapon, if they are that powerful, they should kill the ennemy, thus activate Galeforce. Switch to Brave weapon, then attack another ennemy.

Logically, the debuff of the brave weapons shouldn't be too much of a problem ,since you'll probably get the S-Ranks at the end of the game, thus you characters should be at high-level.

Well that's great then ! :D

You use a badass S-Rank Weapon, if they are that powerful, they should kill the ennemy, thus activate Galeforce. Switch to Brave weapon, then attack another ennemy.

Logically, the debuff of the brave weapons shouldn't be too much of a problem ,since you'll probably get the S-Ranks at the end of the game, thus you characters should be at high-level.

Er no I don't think it works like that

The S Ranks debuff the stats directly, so you'll be using that brave at half Strength? anyway

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

It appears that the player will not be able to have an S-rank user for every weapon type on either Hoshido or Nohr path

I looked into this a bit before, and with reclassing, you actually can use all S-rank weapons on both routes, though it requires either specific reclass option for Kamui.

Or using a captured generic.

So it's possible, but not viable imo.