[Minor Spoiler] FE14's difficulty

Garnef

So I was looking around in /feg/ on 4chan (I blame PhantomHanrei. :x) and I heard some comments about the difficulty of Nohr, and how it might be harder than I thought it was going to be. Some people are outright calling it the 2nd coming of Thracia 776. o-o

Hmm, I might be having second thoughts about picking Nohr first, idk though....

The difficulty tends to fluctuate, although one could say the same about the Hoshido maps as well. Regardless, I've only gotten my ass thoroughly kicked on two maps, one in the beginning and one towards the end, while I have finished several maps without a single casualty on hard mode on the first try, and I'm not that good at the game.

However, I do play on casual mode, and I survived the last map by sacrificing Camilla, something I wouldn't have done while playing on classic mode. Still, I do reset if I get more than two deaths, barring the two previous maps I mentioned.

Edited by Thane

The difficulty tends to fluctuate, although one could say the same about the Hoshido maps as well. Regardless, I've only gotten my ass thoroughly kicked on two maps, one in the beginning and one towards the end, while I have finished several maps without a single casualty on hard mode on the first try, and I'm not that good at the game.

However, I do play on casual mode, and I survived the last map by sacrificing Camilla, something I wouldn't have done while playing on classic mode. Still, I do reset if I get more than two deaths, barring the two previous maps I mentioned.

How hard is Fate on normal I usual play that first than go higher afterward or did you play it on on hard your go on Nohr side.

How hard is Fate on normal I usual play that first than go higher afterward or did you play it on on hard your go on Nohr side.

I've heard that on Normal, Nohr is still difficult, but it isn't that bad. On Hard, it is supposedly harder than Awakening's Lunatic mode. Hoshido, however, is supposed to be easier than Nohr overall.

I've played hard on both routes; lunatic was too difficult for me in Awakening so I doubt I'll try it out this time. Hard seems to be perfect for me, providing a challenge I can actually overcome.

Nohr on hard mode is definitely not harder than Awakening's Lunatic mode though; some map gimmicks are tough for sure, but not to that extent. It's a lot harder than Awakening's hard mode though, thankfully.

The second coming of Thracia 776?! Criminy. Well, I can't say that doesn't mean I'm picking the right side. I have an undeniable fascination with strategy games that kick me in the face and leave me begging for mercy.

Lunatic Nohr, currently at Chapter 10. The difficulty curve has been shaping nicely thus far. I think it's actually easier than Awakening's Lunatic.

Having fixed growths in Lunatic means that you can't manipulate stats to your favour. But at the same time, you won't get RNG-screwed.

Do I gain non-experience (like support points) from fighting other teams? Making children-related sidequests happen early would be a good way to make the main story easier.

Having fixed growths in Lunatic means that you can't manipulate stats to your favour. But at the same time, you won't get RNG-screwed.

wow, I didn't knew that.

It's only for the lunatique run, isn't it?

wait what? The stats are fixed on Lunatic mode?? That's actually pretty awesome! Is that an option or is it locked? Can you also have fixed mode on other difficulties?

Does fates have reinforcements that move on the same turn that they spawn?

Such as when an archer spawns suddenly and shoots your pegasus knights, It was sad that the only difficulty in awakening came from these reinforcements spawning and killing a more vulnerable unit. So by god this had better not return (especially with phoenix riders, aka. archers with extra movement)

I'm playing it and I am not sure if I'd go so far as to call it the second coming if 776 since it really depends on how you attempt to do efficient runs. However, I do have to say there is more a learning curve, but that is also due to the novelty of features, that I found myself replaying certain maps to figure it out better -- whereas I know a lot of the recent FE games have allowed me to play at it blindly and still accomplish it without breaking a sweat.

That said don't be intimidated by the difficulty, if this is off putting for you don't be as it really is IMO a matter of learning curve it is something that can be overcome.

I've played hard on both routes; lunatic was too difficult for me in Awakening so I doubt I'll try it out this time. Hard seems to be perfect for me, providing a challenge I can actually overcome.

Nohr on hard mode is definitely not harder than Awakening's Lunatic mode though; some map gimmicks are tough for sure, but not to that extent. It's a lot harder than Awakening's hard mode though, thankfully.

That sounds perfect!

So, let me get this straight. Lunatic Nohr:

*Has fixed stat growths

*Lacks [REDACTED] reinforcements

*Is still considered one of the most difficult FE campaigns yet

There's no way all this can be the case if it's fighting fair. What's the catch here? Just enemy units with higher stats, maybe some hackforges here or there?

So, let me get this straight. Lunatic Nohr:

*Has fixed stat growths

*Lacks [REDACTED] reinforcements

*Is still considered one of the most difficult FE campaigns yet

There's no way all this can be the case if it's fighting fair. What's the catch here? Just enemy units with higher stats, maybe some hackforges here or there?

Personally, I don't find it particularly hard thus far. The difficulty mainly comes from the loss of Awakening-style Dual Strike and Dual Guard, and that the enemies ganging up on you can get real nasty, even if you're in guard stance. Some enemies (like in Chapter 5) are also strategically placed so that they either don't move or will come get you all at once.

wait what? The stats are fixed on Lunatic mode?? That's actually pretty awesome! Is that an option or is it locked? Can you also have fixed mode on other difficulties?

It's locked. You can't switch to random growth, and it's Lunatic-only. Source: my own experience and Kawaki Chatei, but I'm busy now so please check for yourself.

Edited by nocturnal YL

Hoshido has stats mostly.

From what I've been told, don't expect the grinding to be really helpful. The stream I watched didn't use Ryoma at all (Crimson wasn't use alot either), and in general Hoshido units have like no defense and are liable to be 1HKO'd by a 30str general in the endgame or something

Mostly nothing can survive 2hkos in Hoshido in any case.

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

So in Hoshido all of your units are fragile.

That sounds painful.

Mostly anyway

The growths speak for themselves

It says something when Ryoma, a Swordmaster (I'm not calling them trueblades dammit), has more HP and DEF than most of your army

Crimson has more base Defense (granted, Crimson is a prepromote and a wyvern lord to boot) than most of your army is going to get at max (Then again I am looking at the more paper defense characters, like Hana and Kagerou. I suppose like, maybe Oboro would have more defense.)

Hinata's speed largely sucks for a swordmaster though, so his "slightly better" defense isn't very helpful

Jakob (who has more defense that a large number of your units, though remember, the average is barely scraping 40-50% even after class bonuses, it also "doesn't help" that Hoshido classes aren't very General/Tank based either) doesn't pass the 20 mark.

Mozume gets points because she is actually all round great at everything, will double pretty much everything theoretically, good str to 1RKO things, can actually take hits, this is starting to sound like the dawn brigade for some reason, when you can actually survive two hits = Tank?

Ironically, Sakura ends up with nearly 20 DEF, compared to Elise who has..10 DEF

Subaki has trash speed for a Falcoknight

Saizou actually has respectable stats, I may have spoke too soon

Hinoka is slightly underwhelming, but I suppose when you pass 20 DEF it's a good thing

For all the crap I give Asama his growths aren't that bad.

Takumi> Setsuna. Takumi actually has more DEF than Hinoka, though I suppose he is a guy after all

Hinata apparently went to the same "no speed for your class" school as Subaki

Oboro is actually a pretty good all rounder as well

Kagerou is actually kinda held back by her stat caps. She would have like, 5 more strength by the end if she didn't have such low caps.

Crimson is a prepromote who actually starts with 20 DEF, and actually has growths that don't suck.

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

So in Hoshido all of your units are fragile.

That sounds painful.

It's one of the reasons why Marx is ten times more reliable than Ryouma. Towards the end, even as a Paladin and not a Great Knight, Marx takes around 3 damage from Archers for me if they've got silver weapons. His only real downfall is his speed so he can't double anyone, but if he could he'd be broken anyway. Seriously, I had him paired up with Aqua for some resistance bonuses and he could tank two Spellcasters and three Bowmen and he took less than 10 out of 46 hp.

You probably can't do that in Lunatic mode but hey, it's too difficult for me anyway.

In my experience, although I've improved considerably after my initial Hoshido run in which I got accostumed to everything and playing in Japanese, the Nohrian units just feel overall superior, but hey, maybe that's just because I messed up big time in my first run.

I played Awakening on Hard with very minimal difficulty. Defeating Lunatic+ on Awakening was a dark time in my life I never want to revisit.

So, looks like I'm stuck with Nohr's normal mode. Damn. But...then I have no bragging rights!!

Edited by Respite&Nepenthe

Hoshido is kind of brutal though, for all their talk about being the "easier" route, you have like, very few walls (One of the reasons why the stream kept Rinkah was because she actually could take about maybe 3-5 hits before dying).

Not that you necessarily have bottlenecks, and relying on dodging ~60-70% hit attacks is a risky thing. Sometimes you can't even take a single hit, so it's problematic.

I think I just found the most difficult map so far, at least for me: recruiting Marx child. The map was impossible to navigate through and reinforcements came every single turn - the worst part was that they often spawned far away, so they could later attack in huge numbers all at once. I probably did something wrong, but dang, that's three Nohr maps now that just mess me up something fierce.

Every post in this thread commenting about nohr's difficulty makes me even more hyped up about it. From what i've read here, it's a consistent challenge in normal mode and it's hard mode is worthy of the name hard. That's the way i like it.

About people comparing Nohr's path to Thracia 776: Is that game so hard? I never got to play it before.