Japanese FE Character Popularity Contest results

Yay Tiki being up there. I knew Japan liked her before, but I never knew where she stood to everyone else back then. #7 isn't bad at all for her, though wonder why people like Lynn so much. Granted, I never played through FE7 myself so I wouldn't know but...

Also, random Finn. Who I thought was Sigurd at first but then it wasn't. Funny how half to 3/4 of the top 10 are all Awakening characters too. I know it was the most popular in the series so far because it revived the series and all...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Gaiden. It's the only game without a character in the top 10. (other than Fates, which is probably too recent)

Edited by Matthewtheman

I am actually more surprised at Ephraim. I feel like Sacred Stones is the most, for lack of a better word, overlooked Fire Emblem. Granted he is at 10, but still- Good Job Ephraim!

I am actually more surprised at Ephraim. I feel like Sacred Stones is the most, for lack of a better word, overlooked Fire Emblem. Granted he is at 10, but still- Good Job Ephraim!

Nah I think I can give any of the Japanese only titles the most overlooked FE, Sacred Stones has some solid writing and mechanics and stuff and is available around the world.

Granted this is a Japanese only poll, but in that case we can see that Gaiden is the most overlooked, despite having quite a bit of Awakening fanservice in the forms of Dread Fighters, Valm, Alm and Cecilia both getting redesigns.

Seeing Hector and Finn on there surprised and pleased me the most, and also Ike taking the number one spot.

I kind of think it would be interesting for them to do this kind of thing every year or so and see what changes. Like, sure, there's a lot of Awakening people on there now since it's the most recent game, but how many of them would be displaced in favour of FEif characters? Or would they be more likely to displace older characters, even though they've withstood the test of time by still appearing on the list even now.

Seeing Hector and Finn on there surprised and pleased me the most, and also Ike taking the number one spot.

I kind of think it would be interesting for them to do this kind of thing every year or so and see what changes. Like, sure, there's a lot of Awakening people on there now since it's the most recent game, but how many of them would be displaced in favour of FEif characters? Or would they be more likely to displace older characters, even though they've withstood the test of time by still appearing on the list even now.

I like the sound of that. Namco does a similiar thing with the Tales series, and it's interesting seeing character's popularity wax and wane over the years... (wonder if Ike would have to be permanently interred into the "Hall of Fame").

EDIT: ...No Roy. Hopefully this kills that rumor about him being "popular in Japan" now.

Edited by The DanMan

EDIT: ...No Roy. Hopefully this kills that rumor about him being "popular in Japan" now.

Roy is mentioned in the sidebar but I honestly can't read the Kanji even zoomed. He's mentioned in the line with "15" in it.

Other mentioned names are Ogma, Nephenee, Gaius (Gaia), Tharja (Sa-rya), Ira (Aira), Kris (My Unit). A few of the characters in the poll get expounded upon (Hector, Finn, Marth, Ephraim).

I'm more surprised with Finn being there. I do like the guy and kind of glad he's there--even if at a low position. But that was interesting for Ike. I wonder if it's been influenced because of time and SSB.

I'm sure a huge portion of the voters were smash players considering the top 5 all appeared in smash with Ike being #1. Glad to see Tiki on the list!

But Roy's not there. And Finn is. Smash players likely wouldn't know who Finn is and Roy is supposed to be popular in the Smash community. :P

When was this poll conducted? Recently?

If most of the votes are from Smash fans, no Roy is odd to see, especially since even Sakurai said he was popularly requested, hence his return. Well someone did say Roy's mentioned, though he's not in the top 10 either way. And lolFinn. Cool beans.

Also, Ike being #1 is surprising, but not super surprising. He usually scored high in Nintendo Dream's "Popular characters that appear on Nintendo consoles" polls (I know in the 2013 one he's the most popular FE character, being two spots above Chrom. Have no idea about the more recent ones, unfortunately). I guess it was only a matter of time until an official FE poll was created. Btw, Nintendo Dream did conduct an Awakening character poll I think in 2012? and Robin ranked #5. And if you take a look at this new poll, guess which place Robin is in? HMM.

Also, Ike being #1 is surprising, but not super surprising. He usually scored high in Nintendo Dream's "Popular characters that appear on Nintendo consoles" polls (I know in the 2013 one he's the most popular FE character, being two spots above Chrom. Have no idea about the more recent ones, unfortunately). I guess it was only a matter of time until an official FE poll was created. Btw, Nintendo Dream did conduct an Awakening character poll I think in 2012? and Robin ranked #5. And if you take a look at this new poll, guess which place Robin is in? HMM.

Oh, really? Way to go, Ike! :D His cheer phrase just keeps getting more and more fitting in the real world! And that's pretty funny about how Robin is placing in polls lately. XD

Oh, really? Way to go, Ike! :D His cheer phrase just keeps getting more and more fitting in the real world! And that's pretty funny about how Robin is placing in polls lately. XD

Yup, don't know why people thought Japan hated him. I guess it's because of the "Ike looks like a gorilla in Smash 4!" comment? It seems like that didn't have much impact on his popularity at any rate.

It would be nice to see an official poll like this conducted every year. A Western one would be nice too since there might be some interesting differences in popularity. I know we have less games released here than in Japan, but it still would be interesting... I like analyzing popularity polls, ok? :P

Yup, don't know why people thought Japan hated him. I guess it's because of the "Ike looks like a gorilla in Smash 4!" comment? It seems like that didn't have much impact on his popularity at any rate.

It would be nice to see an official poll like this conducted every year. A Western one would be nice too since there might be some interesting differences in popularity. I know we have less games released here than in Japan, but it still would be interesting... I like analyzing popularity polls, ok? :P

Actually, we thought Japan hated Ike before that, mainly due to a poll on their favorite lords. Ike ranked pretty low while Marth and Roy were at the top. This is also why we thought Roy was popular there. And then there's the fact that Ike's games sold poorly, so not a whole lot of people played them.

Finn making the top ten after all these years is the most hilarious thing. I've been giggling all weekend over it.

Was equally pleased to see Ephraim, though. Hector, too. The top seven were not terribly surprising except for the order but 8-10 are... unexpected and delightful.

This is honestly the first I've ever heard of Ike being popular in Japan. Must be recent with Smash and the sudden interest in the games he comes from. All the others seem to be expected. I wonder how much this will change once Fates is out for enough time.