Do you feel that children and marriage should come back in future titles?

Zerxen

I honestly think they shouldn't. I mean when I played Awakening, I completely stopped using all of the 1st generation units as soon as I recruited the children. Second gen characters were virtually superior in every way and made their parents obsolete. Really no use of strategy when they were in the army. Not only that but marriage and children seemed like it belonged to Awakening.

I don't mind the basic idea of marriage+children mechanics. But the children should be more balanced as units. At least make their personal stat caps be the average of their parents' to prevent silly stuff like +10 personal modifiers.

Also this:

it should only if its handled like in fire emblem 4.

i'm sick of time travel

While I'm not as big a fan of the "rocks fall everyone dies" that happened in 4, I think a separation of generations would work wonders for game balance. Doesn't matter how much more powerful the children are when everything else is fighting at their level, too.

Also marriage feels much more meaningful when it takes place specifically after the end of a war. Kinda like the royal wedding in Awakening, even.

You could make quite the saga of games from combining these familiar concepts in a fresh way.

Marriage, I'm okay with, since I'm a pairing nut. But children, no, I want them to go and stay gone for awhile. If they have to come back, do them like they were done in FE4.

I hope it doesn't return but the likelihood of marriage returning is really high while having children a lot less. I'm kind of okay with the marriage thing but S-supports for marriage are almost never good because they have to come on so suddenly. I'd much rather have just a good S support and then marriage in the epilogue.

Marriage in one game then the sequel the children are playable and then more marriage for more children for more sequels.

It's the perfect plan.

Well, if it stays, we cannot have any meaningful romance in the game because you need to be able to A-support everyone and in a mere S support, there is no time for anything but to exchange rings.

But marriage not only banishes any themes of romance but also those relating to relationships and parenthood from the games. Sure, in FE4 you had Cuan and Ethlin, who spent the entire first generation being a couple but you can't do that anymore since every character is contractually obligated to preserve their virginity for the player character. And relationships don't start until the S-Support at which point the characters never talk to each other again. Meanwhile, children require some half-assed plot device to justify why they exist and why their parents never had to actually raise them, which basically robs them of any meaningful past or relationship with their parents. Sure, the supports could acknowledge these circumstances but this wouldn't help much since they would all share the same upbringing.

Not to mention that it makes couples so damn boring. No matter how freaky the characters involved are, they all end up in a straightforward relationship with exchanged rings, marriage, no sex until said marriage an biological child and all that stuff while being spared from any kind of relationship troubles. For example, we can't have a relationship as the one that Lucia and Bastian eventually developed. Lucia was stated to have never married but kept maintaining an affair with Bastian. That would be an interesting relationship to see.

So yeah, sure it makes a lot of money for IS and it's optional and whatnot, but it's mere existence is salting the earth for any attempt to do anything interesting with these themes.

Edited by BrightBow

Considering how weak the explanation for kids is in Fates, I've resigned myself to the likelihood that every future game will have this feature because it brings in all the cash.

Putting onto BrightBow's post, the current system rules out pair endings like LegaultXIsadora's (where the two split apart and don't meet again until they face each-other on the battlefield), or any of Priscilla's non-Erk paired endings. Even Genealogy of the Holy War had Taillte getting tortured by Hilda, Beowulf telling Raquesis to cut and run, etc.

Do I want them? Not really, especially not children. Will they appear, most definitely, the waifu is stronk in FE now.

I wouldn't mind them I actually like the mechanic of planning and experimenting what kind of skills I can mix and match. I also like the supports that come out of the marriages and the support bonuses through pair up they give.

Could it be done better than time paradoxes and weird dimensional vortexes? Sure. I would be down with time skips or even older characters who have their kids fight beside them. Kinda like if Ike were to fight beside Griel or even Ross and Garcia from FE8.

I'm fine with marriage. As of now, the jump from A- to S-support feels sudden and forced, and I'd like to see the S-support toned down, with the main thing being the paired ending.

I hope children don't come back. I'm glad they were in Awakening, just as a kind of new feature (and they had a passable plot explaination). But they don't need to be forced into every game.

As for marriage, I like the paired endings in FE7 and 8, whether they resulted in marriage or not, and I think any FE game would be better for having something like them.

As for children... it depends on the nature of the game, I think. Children would be completely out of place in a game like FE9 or 10, yet integral to a game like FE4 or 13. (I do like FE4's time-skip better than FE13's time-traveling, though.)

So it really depends on what the game is like.

The marriage is okey... Specially if is in the ending.

But the children thing... Please no... They will create any dumb excuse that could hurt the game's storyline.

Edited by Troykv

I think the ability for marriage should continue in every game. As for the ability of children..yes IN SOME GAMES. Nintendo needs to realize that children are not going to work for every game, some plots just dont fit in with children coming to from the future randomly. Awakening had the perfect plot for children to come from the future, now as it returns to If/Fates..its kind of out of place. Like in If/Fates I have seen absolutely no reference to the future, so children just randomly open up portals to the future whenever they like, nice Nintendo, nice. Basically my point here is, marriage should return in every game, and children should return ONLY when the plot allows it. I agree, children are a great mechanic in the Fire Emblem series, but they're just not for every game ever made in the series.

maybe its because its four in the morning and i've lost control of my life, but you can also read that title's interpretation as "do you think marrying children should come back in future titles?"

This I can firmly answer with a "no".

I'd love both to become staples of the series. :v Even if it doesn't fit, it's fun. I just hope there will be unique children, instead of copypastas again.