Press Ctrl+V

Captain Wesker

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, apparently the traditional method for werewolves to get engaged is to kidnap their spouse. My ten minute asking spree on the topic is below:

Wait, so in this world, werewolves kidnap their spouses? Does this mean that instead of rings, the sign that two people are getting married is that one captured the other? Are there norms about this kind of thing? Is it the methods or the cleverness about the kidnapping that determines whether or not it was impressive, honorable, or romantic, and the like? As in, is going the whole shebang with the kidnapping tropes equipment-wise seen as more impressive than throwing a bag over their head or tying them up, or is leading ones potential spouse into an elaborate trap more admirable? Or is kidnapping someone through technicality would be seen as more clever and noteworthy than simply grabbing them and running? Or is it not based on social norms at all, and instead part of the dating process finding out what your partners preference is in this area? In that case, instead of teaching the “love at first site” and ‘Prince Charming’ crap, did the old werewolf Disney movies instead show young werewolf boys and girls about the several different ways of being kidnapped so they can decide for themselves which one they like the most?

I can see why this is considered the traditional method. No doubt a few supposedly “romantic“ moments where ruined when somebody without a knowledge of werewolf culture attempted to be the hero in that kind of situation. Not to mention the kinds of problems that can cause with interspecies romance and the laws with various cities.

Though now that I think about it, this does explain why so many characters are so nonchalant about being kidnapped. I know that some of the more experienced hunters consider it to be Midgard’s unique way of recruiting members, and therefore just deal with it, but maybe some of the other characters are just used to the idea that they might be stuffed in a sack or something along those lines at some point in their lives? Except that isn’t a convincing answer on just how disturbing the implications would be.

…By the way, I just remembered that Kain (hilariously, I might add) has a fanclub that is mostly, if not entirely, composed of females. And Kain is a werewolf (even if he looks more like a cat), and said fanclub contains members from every race in the game (werewolf, coffee rabbit, polar bear, and human/sapient, by the way). What I’m trying to say is, what is going through the dirtier parts of their minds? And suddenly Kain minimalistic responses of “what did I get myself into?” make sense.

…Why does such an off-color throw-away line concern me so much? It’s like how I lost sleep over Zelda vaulting of the belly of that giant Kikwi who’s name I forgot (I looked it up; it’s Bucha) in Skyward Sword. Seriously, I spent a few hours awake wondering if I read that right. I just have a very easy and a very difficult time picturing that.

End of my 10 minute question spree.