Should I bother getting all the children? ( possibly minor spoilers)

Armaada J

In Awakening, I tried to get all of the children because it was a plot device, but I ended up doing a lot of grinding for supports since some mothers got left behind, and I only used a few of them. In Fates however, the children don't seem as relevant to the story, so I think I might just get the children of characters I use frequently and not bother with the others. What do you all think? Should I try to get every child?

If you don't want to grind, pairing every parent is very very unlikely (I'd say impossible, but maybe there's some people out there better at support/deploy management than me who can do it so who knows) anyway. It's best to stick with a party you know you want to train. That way you can also avoid the exp being spread out too thin and consequently having issues later on.

Personally, I wont be bothering much.While I will get them all in a few runs, I only plan on mainly getting the main two being Kanna and Shigure.It does not help that in certain situations, you won't be able to get every child anyways.

Use the ones you'd like to see, you can always do multiple runs. Like I mean Fire Emblem has always been a very encouraging series to being replayed over and over to get supports and stuff.

I hope you play on casual if you hope to recruit Siegbert.

That, or be a much better (/more patient) player than I am.

To answer your question though, the children are non-canon and don't play any part in the story at all. Some of them have funny supports, so if that's your cup of tea then go for it. However, you won't miss anything of importance.

The sidequests themselves are juicy sources of experience, though. You can play them for that.

For the ones that you do want to see, I find it better to recruit them early. Your main units will gain levels faster than they can autolevel.

Edited by nocturnal YL

For someone who joins as late as Shinonome, obviously there's no way to get him early if his dad joins, well, right after chapter 13.

He's also the only kid I actually want. How late does it have to be for him to join with a child seal?

Edited by Thor Odinson

I think Chapter 19 or so, children get a Child Seal to go to 20/2. Then it goes +2 levels each chapter after up to 20/18 at Chapter 27. Something like that.

I actually found it scales pretty reasonably.

That's good to know. post-19 sounds like a reasonable time for Shinonome to be born at the earliest, anyway.

Just so you know, if you recruit him too late, he'll die in the first turn unless you can warp him to you. He automatically charges a nearby enemy which easily doubles him since he doesn't use his Child Seal on his own.

Just so you know, if you recruit him too late, he'll die in the first turn unless you can warp him to you. He automatically charges a nearby enemy which easily doubles him since he doesn't use his Child Seal on his own.

Well, then, thanks game.

How far is he away from me from start point? I'll see if i can procure a rescue staff before then, but if he's within flying distance i could try fly-dropping Ryouma to him.

Well, then, thanks game.

How far is he away from me from start point? I'll see if i can procure a rescue staff before then, but if he's within flying distance i could try fly-dropping Ryouma to him.

It's a desert map, he's in the middle and you're in the bottom left corner. I think the only one who would be able to warp him would be a Pegasus Warrior.

So yeah...I hope you can still recruit him even if he dies on classic, but I recently played through on casual for the sake of getting through the story quickly, so I don't know.

It's a desert map, he's in the middle and you're in the bottom left corner. I think the only one who would be able to warp him would be a Pegasus Warrior.

So yeah...I hope you can still recruit him even if he dies on classic, but I recently played through on casual for the sake of getting through the story quickly, so I don't know.

I'll figure something out. If he's within range of a flier+rescue, I might be able to pull some Aqua/Guard Stance transfer shenanigans.

Otherwise, I do plan on having Hinoka go Holy Peg, so I'd just need to get that staff.

I'll figure something out. If he's within range of a flier+rescue, I might be able to pull some Aqua/Guard Stance transfer shenanigans.

Otherwise, I do plan on having Hinoka go Holy Peg, so I'd just need to get that staff.

I believe in you! You can do it!

Yeah, I'm thinking I won't bother with trying to get the children.

You should totes get Velour though for an interesting map.

Just don't get Siegbert. It's probably my least favorite map in the entire game.

I think I had to double Rescue but that's because my only Falconknight was 10/1 Tsubaki. >_>

(there's bows and a variety of weapon types that hit hard)

It's Hoshido/Invisible, so the Vendor sells a few anyway.

Bring all the Onis (if you have any other than Rinka) and do some classic Tellius-style Shove chains lol, in addition to singing and Guard Stance transfer-chaining and what have you. Lance Fighter's Substitute may also come in handy if the user can move far enough

Bring all the Onis (if you have any other than Rinka) and do some classic Tellius-style Shove chains lol, in addition to singing and Guard Stance transfer-chaining and what have you. Lance Fighter's Substitute may also come in handy if the user can move far enough

Wait Onis can shove? Holy shit why didn't I notice when reading skills holy shit yes

I mean I'm definitely using Rinka anyway but I might have my Kamui go Blacksmith as well so that's 2?

I might get the children for the extra experience! But unlike Awakening, I'm not as enthusiastic about them this time.

None of them match up to my fondness for Severa, and well, Luna exists. So.... yeah.

I only plan on getting a couple. Im playing Nohr first, so im not really banking on grinding to get kids early or anything. I think Ignis, Sophie, Siegbert, Kanna, and/or Velour are the only ones 100% certain of happening. Deere/Dia may or may not. Given how Mamui doesnt get Joker in his party until like, mid-game or some shit.

I wonder if Intelligent Systems will notice the lukewarm reception to the child mechanic. this time around. I mean, as a whole people loved them in Awakening, but here they just feel forced, and it shows.

I wonder if Intelligent Systems will notice the lukewarm reception to the child mechanic. this time around. I mean, as a whole people loved them in Awakening, but here they just feel forced, and it shows.

They really had no point but as fan service to people who liked it in Awakening.

It's far too early to judge the reception to the children this time around. It could still be received well by the larger western audience.

Edited by Zvarri!