Opinions about melee bows and ballistas

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like 1-range bows and ballistas?

• Yes, both
    • Only 1-range bows
    • Only ballistas
    • None of them
    • Maybe bows with up to 5 range like in FE2

Ballistas are pretty interesting. The only real downside was that their weight was way too high in the GBA-games. Tellius did it better, because they don't have weight (Idk about Judgral tbh). Also liked the different types of ballistas like they existed in FE11. Ballistas, which do physical and magical damage and catapults in 10, which can do damage in larger area (an area of 5 spaces).

However 1-range bows were too OP in FE10 against flying units with their fixed might and too weak in the later game (unless for the double bow). It would be better, if the strength was added to the might like for each other weapon.

Edited by Mister CatTeaDawn

Yeah, I used to have Shinon and Rolf man the ballistae (pretty sure this is the plural form of the word) in RD all the time... It was so fun!

Edited by Anacybele

I don't know why the title says "miss" when they aren't gone.

Ballistae are best when they are actually useful. The Tellius games really dropped the ball on this because of the fixed might, as ballista barely did any damage to your party. Thracia did ballistae the best because of fatigue. You really didn't want to put you units in their range if you didn't have to. The Ballistician class was cool, too.

1-2 range bows really should be a thing, so that archers are useful on enemy phase. However, FE10's crossbows were terrible. I understand why 1-2 range bows should be weak, but at least have them run off of the unit's strength. This will let them be mildly useful, unlike FE10's crossbows.

Edit: Oh, and onagers can go and stay gone.

Edited by Zvarri!

wasn't a fan of either, op, either in concept or (especially) in execution

Pretty much agreed with this, except I did like Ballista to an extent, this once again goes into the matter that, archers need better stats, Snipers are fine, Bows are fine as a weapon class, their users are just very hit & miss throughout the series.