Character Hate Thread

Minischew

Least Favorite FE:Fates Character  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your least favorite male shared character?

• Asyura
    • Gunter
    • Izana
    • Jakob
    • Kamui (M)
    • Kaze
    • Silas
  2. 2. Who is your least favorite female shared character?

• Azura
    • Felicia
    • Kamui (F)
    • Mozume
  3. 3. Who is your least favorite male Hoshidan/Nohrian? (max. 3)

• Asama
    • Hinata
    • Nishiki
    • Ryoma
    • Saizou
    • Subaki
    • Takumi
    • Tsukuyomi
    • Yukimura
    • Arthur
    • Benoit
    • Flannel
    • Lazward
    • Leo
    • Odin
    • Xander
    • Zero
  4. 4. Who is your least favorite female Hoshidan/Nohrian? (max. 3)

• Crimson
    • Hana
    • Hinoka
    • Kagerou
    • Oboro
    • Orochi
    • Rinkah
    • Sakura
    • Setsuna
    • Yuugiri
    • Berka
    • Camilla
    • Charlotte
    • Effie
    • Elise
    • Flora
    • Luna
    • Nyx
    • Pieri
  5. 5. Who is your least favorite child character? (max. 3)

• Deere
    • Kanna (M)
    • Kanna (F)
    • Midoriko
    • Shigure
    • Sophie
    • Gurei
    • Hisame
    • Kinu
    • Kisaragi
    • Matoi
    • Mitama
    • Shinonome
    • Syalla
    • Eponine
    • Foleo
    • Ignis
    • Lutz
    • Ophelia
    • Siegbert
    • Soleil
    • Velour

I agree with the former part of your post but this thread is pretty much explicitly about the characters as they appear in the Japanese version.

As of now, I'm not a great fan of Pieri, or some others for that matter, but that may change. Some characters I like now I may end up disliking in the English version.

But saying "it's too soon" is implying that no one has actually PLAYED the game, which a lot of us have. The English version is not some final edition and the Japanese version some sneak-peak. This is a complete game and the characters are complete. Not liking some and expressing that dislike in a dedicated thread is no sin, not to mention it's far better than going on other random threads and complaining.

How many of you are native Japanese speakers? Oh...thats right...like maybe one of you, who hasnt even posted in this thread. Actually, the majority of you lot posting in here hardly know a lick of that language. What part of "particularly people who have not played the game" of my post did you not even see? It is really obnoxious to see someone who has not touched the game saying "I think this character sucks." Translations arent always accurate in conveying exactly what the meaning of something is. See Soleil's supports controversy for details. So for the majority of people on this site, the English version is the final verdict.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[spoiler=Major 3rd Route spoilers]

Gunter

HOW DARE YOU KILL CRIMSON ASSHOLE

gonna let you get wiped out in battle and then laugh with pleasure

Blame Takumi cause he got himself drunk by Grima Anankos's juicy juice of putrid grapes, and then goes around jerking anywhere, declaring he has the longest, fanciest bow ever and he's gonna to shoot you a knee in your arrow :O

How many of you are native Japanese speakers? Oh...thats right...like maybe one of you, who hasnt even posted in this thread. Actually, the majority of you lot posting in here hardly know a lick of that language. What part of "particularly people who have not played the game" of my post did you not even see? It is really obnoxious to see someone who has not touched the game saying "I think this character sucks." Translations arent always accurate in conveying exactly what the meaning of something is. See Soleil's supports controversy for details. So for the majority of people on this site, the English version is the final verdict.

Well that's kinda unfair. Why can people like a character based on translations that may or may not be accurate, in a language they don't naturally speak, but others can't dislike them? That's like saying people can't like or dislike a Hong Kong movie because the dubbing or subtitles might be inaccurate. Not to mention the fact that there are people who can speak Japanese, own the game, and vouch for the legitimacy of the translations we've had so far.

On top of that, people can like character's differently depending on localization (see Henry, Gregor). And if a majority of the people on the site wanna pay attention to the English release versions of characters, that's fine, but that doesn't mean everybody has to.

As others have said, the Japanese version is a complete game and people are giving their impressions on it. Maybe they don't know for absolute sure what the characters are "really" like but this is what they understand so far. The localized version will not be the same as the Japanese version and is thus not a "final verdict".

If you'd like to be a huge crybaby and complain about the very purpose of a thread, you know where the door is. It's like going to a "What S-supports do you have planned" thread to tell everyone how much you hate shipping.

You have a very apt profile picture.

Anyways... I'd put this on the Marriage thread, but I really don't want to point that thread in a negative direction.

[spoiler=Jakob's Supports w/Deere]Is is true that Jakob is an abusive father in his supports with Deere? I remember Tharja was a pretty abusive mother, and I hated her ever since for that. But Jakob, despite being an ass, is actually a character I favor, so I really hope this isn't the case.

Edited by Minischew

Anyways... I'd put this on the Marriage thread, but I really don't want to point that thread in a negative direction.

[spoiler=Jakob's Supports w/Deere]Is is true that Jakob is an abusive father in his supports with Deere? I remember Tharja was a pretty abusive mother, and I hated her ever since for that. But Jakob, despite being an ass, is actually a character I favor, so I really hope this isn't the case.

essentially, Jakob got mad that Deere was better at butlering than he was, so he challenged Deere to a martial arts fight. Jakob didn't go easy, too, and he did end up winning (Deere wasn't severely injured or anything, for the record). Link is below if you want to read it.

http://pastebin.com/Ab71EBzX

EDIT: someone beat me to the punch like they're lightning fast

Edited by Shadowess

I haven't played the game, but I've read some supports. And all I can say is...

I REALLY hate Soleil.

Not because of some dumb bandwagon, but because of how she was written. Yeah, she's basically Inigo in a female body, but she's basically an Awakening Character! All she just does is spout out anything involving cute girls, and even though she's all up in your face about girls, she's not a homo option. What's worse is that in her S-Supports, it's usually "Hey, you're second to the girls I hit on". She's basically flanderized.

Also, I find Tsubaki a bit boring, plain, and predictable due to being a male version of Cordelia. Not only that, but his growths are shitty; even shittier than Rinka's iirc.

And finally, Jakob/Joker. I thought that the initial description was that he's not too comfortable talking to anyone not named Kamui. Turns out he's an utter asshole to anyone not named Kamui, and because of that, he makes freaking Tharja's interactions with other characters not named Robin seem normal.

Joker's support with Kagerou is really good for him. As in he's not a giant jerk. Which is about the best I think we can get with him.

I think people are mostly freaking out over this part of their B-support.

"JOKER: In that case, let's spar. It's been a while since I last gave you some martial arts practice. I won't be pulling any punches, so get with it and take your stance.
DEERE: H-hold on a sec... Why's it come to this all of a sudden?
JOKER: Shut it. I'm doing this to preserve my own mental stability. Fight for your life unless you want me to beat the snot out of you.
DEERE: Dad... you're terrible..."
Aside from that, he's just a bit harsh. But assuming this translation is accurate, that last line of his was really over the top.

Edited by Zachmac

[spoiler=Jakob's Supports w/Deere]I-- that was an absolute pain to read. I personally don't take that as simple "harshness." I guess our opinions can differ, but to me, that whole support seemed like Jakob was out to prove his superiority. And it wasn't in some jovial, competitive manner-- he literally sparred with his son for it. I wouldn't be going so far if it wasn't for the fact that Deere said "Dad... you're terrible..." which proves that Jakob knows that Deere hates combat but instigated one anyways for his own pride.

Geez, never has my attitude towards a character soured so quickly. I guess this could be a bit... early for me to make these judgments, but anyone who treats their kid like shit loses my respect.

And here I thought he was a pretty decent character. I really liked his supports with Oboro as well, but if this is how he treats his kid, I don't want to marry him with anyone aside for optimization purposes.

I really hope that translation isn't accurate, although I doubt it, considering how IS handled Tharja/Noire.

Edited by Minischew

Joker's support with Kagerou is really good for him. As in he's not a giant jerk. Which is about the best I think we can get with him.

He's also kind to Sakura, although their support isn't very well written.

Edited by NekoKnight

A few moments after I've posted that, I read some supports, and I actually liked them and take back my dislike for him. Sure, it starts out with a bloody insult, but I genuinely loved how his support with Mozume went; he can genuinely care and open up to anyone not named Kamui. The other people are still on my dislikes, though, I dislike Soleil less from reading her support with Siegbert.

Edited by Jester Capri

It might be a little early to jump on the Joker is an abusive father train. Someone who can read Japanese should probably check if that's an accurate translation.

That's true, but unless the translation is entirely off, it still seems like Jakob is treating his son with a bit of contempt.

That's true, but unless the translation is entirely off, it still seems like Jakob is treating his son with a bit of contempt.

From my perspective, he's being childish and harsh, but not abusive. He's a very jealous person who wants to be best, and his son is trying to take his place, so he challenges his son to something he knows he's better at. He admits he's only doing this to prove to himself that he's better at something (his own mental stability).

Sparring does not equate senseless child-beating.

I don't think he's a good father, but I wouldn't call him abusive. Though I am biased. D:

From my perspective, he's being childish and harsh, but not abusive. He's a very jealous person who wants to be best, and his son is trying to take his place, so he challenges his son to something he knows he's better at. He admits he's only doing this to prove to himself that he's better at something (his own mental stability).

I don't think he's a good father, but I wouldn't call him abusive. Though I am biased. D:

I see what you're saying here, but it isn't like he challenged him to a game of chess or something. He forced him in to a physical fight that, as you said, he knew he'd win, purely because he wanted to get out his own frustrations on his son.

I see what you're saying here, but it isn't like he challenged him to a game of chess or something. He forced him in to a physical fight that, as you said, he knew he'd win, purely because he wanted to get out his own frustrations on his son.

And I certainly think of it as bad parenting and immature. But Deere isn't exactly a child, and Joker hasn't had the luxury of raising his son normally. I'm just saying it shouldn't ruin the character completely. But seriously could've done without that support at all. Part of Joker's appeal is continually being an abrasive, insensitive ass, but he shouldn't treat his child like that.

I'm sorry, I guess it's a bit of an overstatement to call him an abusive father. It's simply that I've been taught to recognize unpredictability and lashing out as key indicators of abuse, and Jakob's challenge seemed to meet said criteria at the surface level. But calling someone-- even a character-- an abusive father is a bit of a serious accusation, and I suppose that was a bit uncalled for.

Nevertheless, I am still very disappointed in Jakob. I wasn't expecting him to shower Deere with adulation, but I was hoping that he could set aside his own jealousy and immaturity in order to treat his son with basic respect.

EDIT: For some reason my spoiler tag got erased, so apologies for the initially blank quote!

Edited by Minischew

I'm sorry, I guess it's a bit of an overstatement to call him an abusive father. It's simply that I've been taught to recognize unpredictability and lashing out as key indicators of abuse, and Jakob's challenge seemed to meet said criteria at the surface level. But calling someone-- even a character-- an abusive father is a bit of a serious accusation, and I suppose that was a bit uncalled for.

Nevertheless, I am still very disappointed in Jakob. I wasn't expecting him to shower Deere with adulation, but I was hoping that he could set aside his own jealousy and immaturity in order to treat his son with basic respect.

EDIT: For some reason my spoiler tag got erased, so apologies for the initially blank quote!

Yeah, this is basically my opinion on the matter.

I wonder what localization will do with this support.

Anyway, back on topic...a character I honestly don't care for is Pieri. I'll admit I'm occasionally amused by her supports, manner of speech, and general design, but she wasted innocent servants for fun, and this is treated like it's as whimsical and quirky as Odin's move names, and it's really not something I find amusing. It isn't as harmless as it's made out to be.

The nature of the supports and the game makes everyone not want to take anything seriously. The game isn't trying to make you dislike Joker. It's a gag to emphasize that Joker is being "hilariously" petty and vindictive. The subjective part is whether or not you think it's okay because it's being used as a joke.You can see this in a lot of questionable supports such as SoleilxMamui.

If you want to look at characters as a series of gags not to be taken seriously, then Joker is not such a bad character. If you want to look at their behavior objectively, beating up your son over something so petty is child abuse.

Putting this here b/c I was about to post on the Elise vs. Sakura thread before realizing that would be rude, oops.

[spoiler=Sakura]Sakura's adorable and all, but I can't stand the whole blatant shrinking violet act. I'm fine with shy characters to an extent-- hell, my favorite is Inigo, and he's shy too. But the thing is, the game shoves Sakura's shyness all up in our faces, and that I really don't like. I don't know, I think shyness can be cute, but when it's a character's defining trait, I tend to dislike it.

Obviously, I have nothing against shy people in RL.

Edited by Minischew

It might be a little early to jump on the Joker is an abusive father train. Someone who can read Japanese should probably check if that's an accurate translation.

Took a look around the translations; He really isn't that abusive, but definitely very strict. Hates everyone who isn't Kamui? pretty much so however.. Err. Almost. (Some characters he doesn't have a problem with it seems, don't renember who.)

Takumi though.. I really hate that guy. The class he starts out as isn't making it any better either. This is for generalist reasons though; mainly compared to Leon and how he's the only sibling who doesn't like you from the get-go (With a pretty good reason but still.)

Takumi though.. I really hate that guy. The class he starts out as isn't making it any better either. This is for generalist reasons though; mainly compared to Leon and how he's the only sibling who doesn't like you from the get-go (With a pretty good reason but still.)

I don't think that needs to be a spoiler, it's in his character bio.

I love that Takumi doesn't immediately worship the ground you walk on unlike many other characters. He's got a lot of solid supports, has both subplots and decent character development as far as this game goes, so he's definitely one of my favorites, along with Leo, since the same could be said about him.

I really hate player worshiping though, so if that's your thing, then I can see why you'd dislike Takumi.

Edited by Thane

Until he actually forced Deere into a sparring match, it wasn't too hard for me to think of it as a more playful, hyper-competitive relationship.

As such, if the translation is accurate, it comes off as Joker being extremely petty and crossing the line to child abuse.