GameFAQs user Einvalt is claiming that characters have personal pair-up bonuses… Is this actually true?

astrophys

It'd take more detailed analysis to be sure, but based on the small but varied increases per support level, it's almost certainly true.

If this is true, though, wouldn't that mean Guard Stance isn't as nerfed as we thought it was? I mean, Pegasus Warrior Azura would give her husband a +6 Spd boost. That seems awesome.

According to the webpage cited and going through it with a translator, there does appear to be personal boosts, though they aren't as crazy as they were back in Awakening. An S support gives a 5 stat increase, but those are distributed around other stats. (Ex. Power +2, Skill +2, Speed +1) The highest speed boost, for instance, is 3 points, and those only come from Azura/Setsuna/Ryoma S Support. They don't have 2nd generation listed, but there are probably too many variables to put them in at this time.

I don't understand much Japanese though, so someone else could take a look and see if this is true.

Edited by HeoandReo

If this is true, though, wouldn't that mean Guard Stance isn't as nerfed as we thought it was? I mean, Pegasus Warrior Azura would give her husband a +6 Spd boost. That seems awesome.

The list of bonuses looks fine and are only a tiny bit off from what I've been reporting; idk about anyone else.

In Fates, by using Guard Stance with a promoted-level class, you get 13 total stat points with an S support and 11 points with an A support. In Awakening, by using Pair Up with a promoted-level class and either an A or S support, you get total bonuses ranging from 12-16 points if all stats are in the 0-9 range up to 33-37 points if all stats are 30+. That's a huge difference.

Edited by Othin

According to the webpage cited and going through it with a translator, there does appear to be personal boosts, though they aren't as crazy as they were back in Awakening. An S support gives a 5 stat increase, but those are distributed around other stats. (Ex. Power +2, Skill +2, Speed +1) The highest speed boost, for instance, is 3 points, and those only come from Azura/Setsuna/Ryoma S Support. They don't have 2nd generation listed, but there are probably too many variables to put them in at this time.

I don't understand much Japanese though, so someone else could take a look and see if this is true.

Power? Is this Gaiden?

Very interesting. Looking forward to more research on the subject.

Also, its it really right that the Avatar only gives +4 points at S-rank? Most characters seem to give +5 points…

Unless of course the Avatar gets a slightly customized pair-up bonus, such as (for example, giving +1 extra point in something related to his asset or the like).

Also, its it really right that the Avatar only gives +4 points at S-rank? Most characters seem to give +5 points…

Unless of course the Avatar gets a slightly customized pair-up bonus, such as (for example, giving +1 extra point in something related to his asset or the like).

It's probably +1 to the Asset stat, yeah.

Hrm. Dark Knight normally gives +3 Str, +3 Def, and +1 Move. My (+Def) Corrin as a Dark Knight gives those bonuses with no supports, adds +1 Res with C support, +1 Def and +1 Res with B support, +1 Spd, +1 Def, and +1 Res with A support, and +1 Spd, +2 Def, and +2 Res with S support. That doesn't fit at all; the Str bonus is missing.

Zero's bonuses, on the other hand, are perfectly consistent with the ones listed. Same with Azura. My conclusion is that most of these are right, but Corrin's bonuses do not fully account for their variability.

Yeah, sorry, I have no data on that front.

If we can get a few Avatar samples (you posted some before, I think, or was it somebody else?), we should be able to work them out.

Well, the data I was giving on the Gamefaqs thread was for Luna and Marx/Xander….

And I forgot to account for the fact that Xander had Defender…

Bonus that Omega Evolution's YouTube playthrough gives S-ranked Luna x Xander, with Defender in the lead and thus an extra +1 active…

+2 Str (+1 before Defender)

+1 Mag (+0 before Defender)

+5 Skl (+4 before Defender)

+6 Spd (+5 before Defender)

+1 Lck (+0 before Defender)

+4 Def (+3 before Defender)

+1 Res (+0 before Defender)

So lets take the boosts attributable to Luna alone, as a Hero:

+1 Str, +4 Skl, +5 Spd, +3 Def

Okay, so that's 13 stat points… subtract out the 8 points from Heroes

+1 Str, +1 Skl, +2 Spd, +1 Def

Luna's listed bonuses: Str +1, Skl +1, Spd +2, Def +1

​Okay, it works out perfectly here…

Same video: Female Kamui (seems to be a Trueblade) with A-rank Kaze

+1 Skl, +6 Spd, +3 Lck, +1 Def

Subtract Trueblade bonus: +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Def

This disagrees with the listed A-rank bonus for the Avatar: Str +1, Spd +1, Def +1

So we can infer that there either is some variability in this based on some factor or the posted stats aren't right.

It's probably +1 to the Asset stat, yeah.

Hrm. Dark Knight normally gives +3 Str, +3 Def, and +1 Move. My (+Def) Corrin as a Dark Knight gives those bonuses with no supports, adds +1 Res with C support, +1 Def and +1 Res with B support, +1 Spd, +1 Def, and +1 Res with A support, and +1 Spd, +2 Def, and +2 Res with S support. That doesn't fit at all; the Str bonus is missing.

Zero's bonuses, on the other hand, are perfectly consistent with the ones listed. Same with Azura. My conclusion is that most of these are right, but Corrin's bonuses do not fully account for their variability.

Hmm, it's different, but it looks close.

If you look at the base pattern, you've got Str replaced with Res throughout and Def +1 at S.

EDIT: I think it might be useful to know the Flaw too.

Edited by VincentASM

Hmm, it's different, but it looks close.

If you look at the base pattern, you've got Str replaced with Res throughout and Def +1 at S.

EDIT: I think it might be useful to know the Flaw too.

Flaw is Luck.

It's close, and I'm sure someone could get the listed C-A values with the right build, but judging from the above mention of Str getting replaced with Skl instead, it does seem to vary a bit.

Hmm, I see. It seems like Flaw has no effect.

If I can get a few more Avatar samples, I've got a few theories how the variations are created. Unfortunately, there isn't much I can decipher from the game code itself ^^

Okay, I tested all my Corrins. All of them have -Luck. One has +Def like the one I posted previously and has the same bonuses at all support levels. Another has +Spd; he gives +1 Luck at C and +1 Luck, +1 Def at B but I don't have higher support levels to check on that file. The last one has +Str; he gives +1 Skl at C, +1 Skl and +1 Def at B, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, and +1 Def at A, and +1 Str, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Def, and +1 Res at S.

So it appears that with at least with Luck held constant as a flaw, Corrin adds +1 Def at B, +1 Spd at A, and +1 Res at S, along with also adding +1 to the Asset stat at S, but the C rank bonus is some non-Asset stat that nonetheless changes with Asset. Changing the Flaw may or may not affect things; this seems consistent with all reported data but Luck is also the default Flaw and I imagine few people change it.

Edited by Othin

I'm wondering how does it work for the children.

I'm currently having a Sophie / Berka pair up (and am currently very nervous about approaching the Nohr Chapter 17 boss), and I found that Berka gets +3 Str, +1 Spd, +3 Def, +2 Res. Reducing the class bonuses (Cavalier), that's +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Def (at A support).

The A support bonuses for Silas is Str +1, Skl +1, Spd +1. For Berka, that is Skl +2, Def +1. Sophie's bonuses include no Skill at all.

Interesting... the kids are even stranger than the Avatar. At least the Avatar has an array; the kids have the default blank array.

Back to the Avatar for a moment, if the pattern holds, I think these might be the C and S mods:

All Assets: Def +1 (B), Spd +1 (A), Res +1 (S)

HP: Res +1 (C), Def +1 (S)
Strength: Skill +1 (C), Str +1 (S) [confirmed]
Magic: Speed +1 (C), Mag +1 (S)
Skill: Def +1 (C), Skill + 1 (S)
Speed: Lck +1 (C), Spd +1 (S) [semi-confirmed]
Luck: Str +1 (C), Lck +1 (S)
Defence: Res +1 (C), Def +1 (S) [confirmed]
Resistance: Mag +1 (C), Res +1 (S)
Edited by VincentASM

I chanced upon a sample page from one of the guidebooks and I noticed characters have personal Attack Stance boosts too.

I guess that's what the other unknown array was for : P

Fortunately, a lot of characters share boosts.

Unknown array 1

+14h [20 dec]
a538 kanna and the kids
0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
a54c avatar, Silas, Hinoka, oboro, hinata, crimson, camilla, luna, pieri, benoit, fuuga, yukimura
0A 00 00 00 00 00 05 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 05 05 03 00 00
a560 gunter, takumi, berka, charlotte, flora
0A 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 05 03 00 00
a574 felicia, azura, asama, asyura, anna
0A 00 00 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 05 00 00 05 00 00 00 05 05
a588 jakob, rinkah, kagerou, odin
0A 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 05 00 03 00 00 00 03 00 05
A59C kaze, Hana, yuugiri
0A 00 00 00 00 00 05 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 05 00 05 00 05 00
A5B0 sakura, xander
0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 0A
A5C4 Subaki, nishiki, elise, lazward, flannel, mozume
0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 05 00 00 05
a5d8 Saizou, leo
0A 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 05 00 03 00 00 00 06 00 00
a5ec Orochi, izana
0A 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 05 00 05 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00
a600 setsuna, ryoma, zero
0A 00 00 00 00 00 05 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 0A 00
a614 tsukuyomi, nyx
0A 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 05 00 00 03 00 00 00 03 05 00

Format is 4 stats x 5 (for None, C, B, A and S).

Stats are probably Ht rate, Critical, Avoid and Critical Evade in that order.

(0A is 10 in hex.)