General US Politics

Ansem

Forgive me for wanting to pick your brains on the matter, but if states were left to vote on the legality of abortion, which ones would most likely make it illegal? I'm genuinely curious about this. Mods, let me know if I'm straying off topic here.

The Bible Belt States, Texas and Utah would be my guesses, but I imagine there could be more.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking back on Obamacare. Not suprised. Very much annoyed.

'Very much annoyed' about a system that doesn't affect you in the slightest?

Whatever happens to the ACA - and it definitely needs an overhaul - I do hope that the pre-existing conditions part and the removal of the lifetime limits remain in place.

Forgive me for wanting to pick your brains on the matter, but if states were left to vote on the legality of abortion, which ones would most likely make it illegal? I'm genuinely curious about this. Mods, let me know if I'm straying off topic here.

Four states - Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana and South Dakota — have so-called trigger laws waiting on the books to make abortion illegal as soon as federal policy permits. Three more states - Arkansas, Missouri and North Dakota - have passed weaker laws declaring the state's intention to criminalize abortion, but experts say those laws can't be enforced.

In contrast, seven states have passed laws ensuring the legality of abortion whether Roe v. Wade stands or falls: California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Nevada and Washington. California and nine others also have constitutional language interpreted by courts as protecting a woman's right to end her pregnancy.

Source: http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2006/06/22/states-probe-limits-of-abortion-policy

As long as it doesn't take over the topic, I'm fine with it.

Anyway. . .looking at Trump's list of staff, I'm getting really depressed. Some of the notable facepalms include:

- Sarah Palin as anything

- A climate change skeptic for the EPA

- Arpaio for Homeland Security

- The entire list of Interior Secretary candidates ('cept that one senator who I'm a bit too lazy to research)

As long as it doesn't take over the topic, I'm fine with it.

Anyway. . .looking at Trump's list of staff, I'm getting really depressed. Some of the notable facepalms include:

- The entire list of Interior Secretary candidates ('cept that one senator who I'm a bit too lazy to research)

My hopes that a Trump presidency will leave me pleasantly surprised are rapidly dwindling. Making Carson Minister of Education was a punch to the gut, but the rest is just salt to the wounds.

My hopes that a Trump presidency will leave me pleasantly surprised are rapidly dwindling. Making Carson Minister of Education was a punch to the gut, but the rest is just salt to the wounds.

Yeah, it's already setup to be looking pretty lousy.

fucking bannon and priebus...whoo boy

People complained about the media being in Hillary's pocket (a valid complaint), and yet here's the Executive Chairman of Breitbart being made Chief Strategist, after he served as a Campaign Chairman for Trump. Wonderful. I guess he won't be distancing himself from the alt-right.

Edited by The Blind Idiot God

apparently, though, bannon wants to "destroy the state" lol. so i guess he's just an enemy of the united states as we know it.

not a good source, but if the quote/story pushed happens to be at all correct, really goes to show why no one takes breitbart seriously (except conservatives/far right folks).

Bannon understands Trump and his ideas, and Priebus can help get it done in Washington. I have no problems with this; the dual appointment satisfies both grassroots conservatives and traditional ones.

My main concerns would be having Palin anywhere in the administration, and the idea of having Kelly Ayotte as Secretary of Defense. Ayotte is a warhawk, essentially a female John McCain.

She also lost her re-election bid; it's actually kind of funny how that worked out. Everyone who supported Trump won their races, and everyone who didn't lost; sounds like karma.

To add,

- Ben Carson as anything.

Don't mind having Republican establishment figures in Trump's cabinet. Although I hate Bannon, Gingrich and Giuliani, he's on the right track in the sense of wanting to pick people who know how Washington and politics work. Winning an election is one thing, but actually being able to do the job is another. The actual people he's choosing I think are poor though. It seems like he's going for people that kissed his ass during the primary and not people who would do a good job. The fact that Palin is on the list proves that. Hoping it's fake.

where do you guys think corey lewandowski is gonna end up?

secretary of state!?

Corey Lewandowski has 0 nuance, I don't want him anywhere near having to interact with foreign governments. I know your post was a joke but with Palin rumored to be considered I have to cover my bases.

Ginsburg is 83 and has had massive health issues. There have been rumors that she would retire for years, and I'm surprised she didn't while Obama was still president.

Scalia was 80 when he died.

Stephen Breyer is 78. Anthony Kennedy (swing vote, pretty libertarian) is 80.

Ginsburg didn't retire because she wants to be on the court as long as she's mentally capable. Not sure if she would have during a Clinton II Presidency, although being nominated by a Clinton and retiring under a Clinton might have been nice closure.

Aren't the pre-existing conditions and 26 year old bits of Obamacare part of why premiums are rising so much? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's true I'm interested to see how he attempts to remedy that.

Aren't the pre-existing conditions and 26 year old bits of Obamacare part of why premiums are rising so much? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's true I'm interested to see how he attempts to remedy that.

Pre-existing conditions, yeah, it will raise the prices for everybody, but it's a popular clause, so Trump may want to keep it while getting rid of the rest of Obamacare, which is far less popular.

26 year olds, not so much. Really, people in their twenties have the lowest cost to cover from the insurance companies side. These are the people most likely to not have coverage at all. I didn't have any for a period in my 20s. Them being on their parents' plan when they would otherwise not be on anything isn't really hurting the system, and may actually be beneficial to the system at large.

It's because the penalty for not having insurance is cheaper than insurance so people buy insurance when they need it because nobody can be denied which leads to a spike in premiums.

I think the penalty for no insurance is one of the things on the chopping block.

EDIT: Why did all the threads die today? It's hard for me to do much else besides browse internet forums and watch Youtube videos right now.

Edited by Rezzy

Insurance companies also continue to make record profits, but the ACA is a very handy excuse for them to continue to raise premiums.

I think the penalty for no insurance is one of the things on the chopping block.

EDIT: Why did all the threads die today? It's hard for me to do much else besides browse internet forums and watch Youtube videos right now.

I wonder how no longer having any incentive at all to get insurance would affect things?

And aah, newborn days. It was always hard to explain to friends how I could be extremely busy and very tired but also appear to fritter away time online all day.

And aah, newborn days. It was always hard to explain to friends how I could be extremely busy and very tired but also appear to fritter away time online all day.

My day in a nutshell. I did manage to get a little bit of paperwork done, at least.

She also lost her re-election bid; it's actually kind of funny how that worked out. Everyone who supported Trump won their races, and everyone who didn't lost; sounds like karma.

Could mean anything from "this candidate is cheering for the candidate I like so let's vote them in" to things that sound like a conspiracy theory. I'm gonna go with the former.

This reeks of shameless plugging, but I just want you guys to see something I posted in the feminism thread.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=66392&page=20

Mods, again, let me know if I'm doing something against the rules.

Your original post is all right. This post didn't need to exist.

Your original post is all right. This post didn't need to exist.

Fair enough. I realise that the site was really quiet yesterday but I thought at first that no one was really in the feminism thread and was here instead. But then I realised that it was a site-wide thing. What happened yesterday anyway?

Edited by UNLEASH IT

I'm curious what people people would like to see as Trump's cabinet picks. I actually like Rudy Giuliani, and remember his leadership after 9/11. They're pretty much going to have to be Republicans, and I've not seen many people propose better alternatives to who has been listed.

I guess Chuck Schumer is taking over Harry Reid's job. Why? Dick Durbin is the Minority Whip (I think), which was Harry Reid's job before he took over for Tom Daschle. You'd think having a Midwesterner in charge would help attract a lot of the blue collar workers that handed the election to Trump, rather than another Wall Street New Yorker.

I'm sure this will please you guys, but Ben Carson has opted out of any role in a Trump administration.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-carson-idUSKBN13A26M

GOOD!

Carson having any sort of position was a sign of horrible things to come.

Carson never came across as an inherently bad or cynical person to me, just profoundly misguided to a worrying, potentially dangerous, degree. It's better for all of us that he's keeping himself out of the equation. Good call.