What's the consensus on these weapon stat penalties?

Superfan959

(I wonder if can't double, or can't crit + can't trigger skills, is more debilitating)

I forgot to answer this. I've done a cross analysis of all the weapons, and found how much the game values most of the effects.(Keep in mind I had to do this all by hand, it's not like I have the game).

If you consider 1 Mt = 5 Hitrate = 5 Avoid = 5 Crit = 5 Crit Evade = 1 Str = 1 Mag = 1 Def AND Res = 1 Spd = 1 (let's call it a point) point

Then both Can't Crit/Skill = -2 Points and Can't Double = -2 Points also. The game from a balance aspect thinks of these as equal penalties. Here are some other nice things to note.

Halve Str/Mag for the next turn = -4 Points

Stats Reduced(Str/Mag and Skl -2) = -3 Points

Brave Effect = +10 Points

Warrior Effect = +4 Points

Your DAT -3 = -1 Point

Your DAT +3 = +2 Points

Your DAT -5 = -2(cause this is basically can't double)

Your DAT +5 = +4 Points

Opponent's DAT +5 = -4 Points

x4 Crit = +1 Point

1-2 Range = +2 Points

2 Range = -2 Points(Yep, this is why Bows are now good, cause the developers now actually see it as a weakness, so they buff them in other ways)

and I'm just going to throw this out here, it seems the game thinks 1 Def(3 Def = 2 Points) = 2 Res(3 Res = 1 Point) for Weapon bonuses, despite the stats of characters not being balanced that way. It is a truly odd thing, but I'm inclined to agree with the weapon's ideology.

Edited by Psyruby

Yeah pretty much this. Though IS's reasoning of "we're going to remove durability so people will no longer be afraid of using powerful weapons", which was probably mainly directed at casual players, ends up being questionable if said casual players will now not use them because they are afraid of the penalties.

Then it comes to the game of playing Risk VS Reward. On a side note, does anyone know how to obtain the Skadi bow? That thing has amazing trade-off value..

Then it comes to the game of playing Risk VS Reward. On a side note, does anyone know how to obtain the Skadi bow? That thing has amazing trade-off value..

Enemy only. Vincent added that clause recently to the main site. The bow is a little too good for players to use.

Braves do NOT carry an appropriate enough nerf to justify infinite uses.

-4 DEF/RES...

Ah yes, penalizing an DUMP STAT for OFFENSIVE PURPOSES for a Weapon that can only be used on Player Phase.

The Ranged Penalty is slightly better [half STR/MAG for next attack]... save for Lightning which carries the Silver Penalty.

Oh, they can't be forged? Limited Quantities?

Tell that to DLC.

If somehow they weren't the best weapons, they definitely are now.

Edited by Airship Canon

-4 DEF/RES...

Ah yes, penalizing an DUMP STAT for OFFENSIVE PURPOSES for a Weapon that can only be used on Player Phase.

The Ranged Penalty is slightly better [half STR/MAG for next attack]... save for Lightning which carries the Silver Penalty.

Oh, they can't be forged? Limited Quantities?

Tell that to DLC.

If somehow they weren't the best weapons, they definitely are now.

Uh Brave Weapon were nerfed compared to other games more than the -4 Def/Res. They only activate on YOUR turn. Which means they are inaccurate iron weapons on your opponent's turn that reduce your Def/Res by 4. Like saying Def/Res are dump stats is not even true. Brave Weapons won't be OHKOing units unless you get LoD or Extravangance or both on your unit. If you put LoD on your unit, you have a very real shot of being OHKO yourself if they have the movement advantage, and Extravangance is only going to work 1/2 times. Also, Brave Weapons have very bad accuracy. Like unless you boost your Hitrate by skills, you are unlikely to hit both times.

EDIT: Brave weapons are good, but honestly, most of the S rank weapons are better overall.

Edited by Psyruby

Well, if it was a particularly heavy weapon, for example, it might slow you down or tire you out as you use it.

Granted, some of the penalties make more sense than others, but its perfectly logical that certain weapons could have an effect that could be represented by stat penalties.

Enemy only. Vincent added that clause recently to the main site. The bow is a little too good for players to use.

To add onto this:

It's supposed to only be a weapon for the final boss of the Nohr route. Kinda like how the S-Rank Axe Bolwerk is supposed to be only for Garon.

The stat penalties on these things are going to add on challenge for bosses that carry ragonskin as Iron and Killer won't do enough damage on them. -.-

The stat penalties on these things are going to add on challenge for bosses/enemies that carry dragonskin as Iron and Killer won't do enough damage to them. -.-

Whoops: Double post. My server is acting up. So sorry.

Edited by Princess_Florina

-4 DEF/RES...

The dump stat for physical weapon users is Magic, not Defence or Resisance. Those are actually semi-important.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

The Yato's final form (all 3 of them) negates Dragonskin.

Actually, some tests seem to be indicating, as far as I can see, that Yato actually negates HALF of Dragonskin's effect, contrary to what is written on this site.

Source; YouTube playthroughs of people using Yato against Dragonskin opponents and doing the math.

Yato will do 75% damage vs. Dragonskin instead of 50%.

The stat penalties on these things are going to add on challenge for bosses that carry ragonskin as Iron and Killer won't do enough damage on them. -.-

If you use weak weapons unnecessarily, you're adding on extra challenge for every enemy. Of course, for major bosses, it's easy to just stick to powerful personal weapons that have no penalties.

Meanwhile I feel the need to remark that I've been using a Parasol a bit recently and it's turned out to be a perfectly good weapon. Yes, even though it's a sword with 1 Mt and all the downsides that come along with standard 1-2 range weapons. I should probably replace it with a Kodachi since I'm noticing now that those are strictly better, but in the meantime even its weaker variant has been working just fine. 1-2 range is just irreplaceable, especially when it means setting up a powerful Dual Attack.