Serenes Forest Tourney Thread

Anacybele

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? Sudden Death is awesome. And more than five minutes seems too long, imo. And why should we limit the number of matches per day? Wouldn't we want to play as much as we want?

Not that I won't EVER consider your suggestions, I'm just curious about your reasoning for them.

Sudden Death is kinda janky, though. There is (presumably) a reason it is always discarded in high-level play: comebacks are significantly less hype if you have to stall the clock out for them.

For similar reasons, the rule of thumb is generally at least 2 minutes per stock. Matches tend to go to time somewhat frequently at any less than that in this particular game.

Finally the limit on number of matches per day is because some people presumably have better things to do than playing Smash Bros. all day just to get a lead. The better player will presumably be the one who can have the higher quality of a finite number of matches than one who can just play more games period. There are plenty of other means to play as much as one wants outside of Tourney mode, such as using the With Friends mode.

Sudden Death is kinda janky, though. There is (presumably) a reason it is always discarded in high-level play: comebacks are significantly less hype if you have to stall the clock out for them.

For similar reasons, the rule of thumb is generally at least 2 minutes per stock. Matches tend to go to time somewhat frequently at any less than that in this particular game.

Finally the limit on number of matches per day is because some people presumably have better things to do than playing Smash Bros. all day just to get a lead. The better player will presumably be the one who can have the higher quality of a finite number of matches than one who can just play more games period. There are plenty of other means to play as much as one wants outside of Tourney mode, such as using the With Friends mode.

On Sudden Death, I see now, makes sense to me, I guess. xP

And I see what you mean on the time thing, but I feel if I set it to any longer than 5 or maybe 6 minutes, the person that gets knocked out first in a three or four player match might end up having to wait for like ever for the next match... (trust me, I've gone through this...)

Well, I mean we might want to play as many matches as we want in the tourney. And I do get that some people might wind up busy, but if you're playing the tourney just to win, then there's something wrong, I think... xP

Who cares, it's FFA.

Someone wake me up when tourney mode has 1 vs 1 or teams capability

I don't think this mode is for me. 5 minutes sucks too. Is there a way to turn on teams?

Anyone want to play me 1 vs 1?

I'll PM you my info.

And I do get that some people might wind up busy, but if you're playing the tourney just to win, then there's something wrong, I think... xP

Just so long as this is established on the ground floor, I have no objections. :)

The only issue I could see happening with finite matches is that eventually people would run out of matches while some people still had say 6 matches left in the day, if we were to try and do finite matches we should try and set up brackets of sorts.

The problem with turning off Sudden Death is that in the event of a stock draw, the victor is instead decided by how much damage they dealt to other players.

Neither Sudden Death nor non-Sudden Death leads to a fair result, so you might as well take the more fun option.

The problem with turning off Sudden Death is that in the event of a stock draw, the victor is instead decided by how much damage they dealt to other players.

Neither Sudden Death nor non-Sudden Death leads to a fair result, so you might as well take the more fun option.

You can eliminate the time, make it 2 stocks and you've got yourself a tourney...

You can't eliminate Time, matches have to be between 1-10 minutes when you create a Tournament.

Which is probably for the best, since you might end up having a super laggy match that never ends without time.

This is a problem? I thought it was a feature! And it is at any rate far more expedient than Sudden Death On.

I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Sorry Shin, gonna be taking a break for a bit.

It's cool seeing some of Link's lesser used customs in action, and you use them really well, I must say!

I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Sorry Shin, gonna be taking a break for a bit.

It's cool seeing some of Link's lesser used customs in action, and you use them really well, I must say!

Thanks! Your Marth's pretty swag, I've never seen someone tipper so reliably!

You can eliminate the time, make it 2 stocks and you've got yourself a tourney...

No way, 2 stock is awful. I think most people here agree that 3 stock is better anyway.