Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 1

Shin

Niko winced at Cass's comments about calculated risks and the like and then frowned as she continued talking. Talking down to him like... Ugh, royals. Never again, I swear. She's a child and yet she acts like... ugh. "I am certain that I will continue to do my job to the best of my ability," he said stiffly. "I am certain the previous mercenaries were truly horrible." After all they had to put up with you. "And yes. I am sure that if our work every got to the point where Lady Adele here was displeased, she would deal with us herself. As for my wounds, I am quite alright. Do not let others suffer because you are distracted by me. I know that Sidney was hurt earlier, so perhaps you should check on her as I believe Claire is taking care of her wounds with medicine from what I can see."

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that was tension, if Adeltrudis had ever seen it before. Clearing her throat as she decided to step in, Adele began to speak.

"Now now, Niko. If you've taken a wound, even a minor one, it is best to take care of it now, while we're here. I'd hate to see you succumb to an infection and have your health suffer." The noblewoman interjected, hoping to try and divert the topic away from the subtle jabs and other such things.

Niko nodded. "I agree and if she had not already looked after me, I would agree with you. However, since she has done so and healed Doug as well, there's no reason she should not go and take care of the others in our group, would you not agree?"

"Ah, very well, then. If you're both taken care of already, then I suppose we should move on, should we not, Cassandra?" Adeltrudis replied, just hoping to seperate the two for the time being, giving the Princess' shoulder a light squeeze.

"And it shall remain so, Doug!" Cassandra gave him a thumbs up back, not entirely understanding the gesture, but it seemed to please him, so why not indulge the lessers for a bit? Alas, it wasn't meant to be for all of them. Whilst Cassandra appreciated Doug's lack of talk back, and simple, compliant nature, this Niko was perhaps too big for his britches. This is why I don't hire mercenaries~ Always get the ones that fancy themselves strategic masters, or knowing better, because of their age. Hah! Cass could feel her eyes rolling, unfortunately. For once, she didn't wish to escalate, not in front of Adele. These were her men, and to embarrass her would be to embarrass herself, the same for Owen, or her father.

Though his suggestion of healing Sidney did release an audible groan, Cass slumping slightly. She didn't say anything, but it was clear her disdain for the woman was still heavy. "Perhaps I shall attend to Claire, first... I will get to Sidney. Eventually. It would not do to upset my brother. Let us move on, Adele." With little regard for the thief's own pain, Cass curtsied, and turned to move towards Owen, for the moment. Only to spot that Sidney was already talking with him. With a small jolt and growl, she frowned. "Floozy, already talking to him, goodness me..." Almost stomping, she came over to them, only to find another surprise, which was Angus and--

"Angus!? What is that!? Is that a bear!?" Alright, all bets were off! Cass gripped her axe and braced herself, ready to swing at a moment's notice, though she was still a good three meters from the creature. This is what he went to deal with!? Goodness, has he lost his mind!? Of all the things!

Brushing off the pain a bit, Sidney watched the events before her fold out, only nodding at the prince's remarks- not commenting on the princess's entitled complaints, reluctance to heal her, and Doug's tale of his skirt. But she found herself unable to suppress a giggle at the sight of the bear cub following the child who pranced around on a horse. "A bear? You want to a train a bear, of all things? Hahaha, how do you fancy that'll go, a less maneuverable, harder to train horse? What a total dweeb..." She brought her hand to her mouth to try and quiet her laughter, but quickly gave up.

After a few moments, she managed to collect herself, amused at the princess's attempts to intimidate the cub or whatever. "It's a cub, Sandy... it could barely chase down a mouse, much less one of us. If you wouldn't mind to lend a hand here, I could use a bit of healing. Wouldn't want to, ah... strain the elderly servant, right? That wouldn't do at all. But I do need a hand, and would love it if you'd lend one!"

"Do not call me Sandy!" she snipped, lowering her axe but still glowering at the creature. She moved that glower to Angus for a moment before scoffing, finally taking her attention off of it and taking only a few more steps over to Sidney. She pulled her staff up and started quickly mending the wound. "I already told you that if you refuse to address me properly you may call me Cass. Is that not enough for you? I will start ignoring you if you refuse to compromise." She could feel herself gritting her teeth, not at the name use-- unfortunately, she was getting used to that. What bothered her was how relatively nice Sidney was being to her. Had she not insulted the degenerate enough? Why was she not firing back? It didn't make any sense and that only further served to bother Cassandra.

"Jeeves is already resting. I'm taking over his duties. I do not care what you would love. And I will remind you once more to keep your distance from Owen..." Cassandra had calmed down over the bear, but she was afraid of this. Sidney flustered her in ways she wished to ignore, and with her doing the healing, that meant she'd have to speak with the thief eventually. She had just wished it would've been later. She sighed, and finished cleaning up the burn. "There."

Angus interposes one arm between his bear and his Princess, throwing the other out in a call to halt. "Please, hold! It is a bear, Princess. Seems friendly enough, though, and ain't a threat to any one of us, let alone altogether." Angus puts down his arm, now addressing Prince Owen. "I... don't know, my Lord. It's weaned, but if it's ever been done it wasn't here. I've just... got a hunch on it. Odds are it runs off or I've gotta put it down, but imagine if this works!" The squire's excitedness comes through, but he sobers for a moment. "That ain't quite the shape of it, though. I'm fond of the little sucker, and I wonder if it's possible. There's plenty reason to try besides, but... heh. You follow."

Angus exhales slowly, only now registering Sidney's jabs at him. They invigorate him, in a way; it's something to focus on, to remind himself that rearing a bear is far from insane. "They could be useless... or the heaviest cavalry we've ever seen, or terrific guards, or curiosities worth more'n anything she's ever plundered." The squire raises a hairy eyebrow with a chuckle. "Trust me, bears can sprint if y'give them a shot. A horse can outrun 'em, but a man? Not a chance."

"Yeah, yeah... I mix up nicknames sometimes! I still think Sandy is way cuter," Sidney protested, stretching her arms for real after the healing was finished. "Either way, I do thank you for your assistance. I'm offended you how I feel wouldn't even come to your mind, though! Does my appreciation mean nothing at all to you?" She feigned injury, as if the princess's words were a crushing blow, before the pipsqueak spoke up again. "It'll probably bite you and run off. Don't get your hopes up. No chance some sort of... bear cavalry, or whatever..." She paused to snicker again at the mere thought. "Nothing like that would catch up to what I've gone through for worth. Princess aside, none of you would have any idea what to do with all the gold that's been in my hands."

"You frustrate me," was all Cassandra had in response to Sidney's pouting, not caring at all if it had hurt her feelings, only able to growl at the continued attempts to shove that nickname down her throat. "Your appreciation makes no sense and is unwanted." Now, Angus needed her attention, mostly because of his decision to take care of a bear cub, probably a bear cub that belonged to one of the creatures they had already slain.

"Angus, you're sure you're not doing this out of some weird grieving over its mother? It's just an animal. You owe it nothing. If you were to think of it in sane terms, the bears attacked us, so they got what they deserved." Bear cavalry felt like a mistake to Cass, but she wasn't about to ride one, let alone ride even a horse, so she didn't comment on that. "Just realize that it isn't a domesticated creature. It is wild. And if it ever feels the need to attack you, it probably will. It's not like your horse." Cass couldn't have her favorite toy breaking on her, not over a bear. She scowled at the little bastard once more.

Edited by Snake Mom

"Well, you'll get your way then, eh, Princess?" Angus rebuts, chuckling at the idea before addressing it properly. "Nah, doesn't seem likely. You offed its mum, and it hasn't tried to eat you yet; why the fellow how feeds him, then?" She did raise a rather good point though... he didn't owe the bear anything, though Cassandra was off base about its mother. "The mum, well--you're right about that. Its only business was dying, if it thought we were good eats." Not really one to think before he speaks, Angus continues, alluding to something that perhaps Sidney was better off not knowing. "But... can you honestly say you've never wanted to do somethin' ill-advised on a whim and a prayer?"

Cass's impotent rage only seemed to amuse Sidney somewhat more. "What's wrong with a simple thanks for helping me? I was burned and you healed me- isn't that only natural for me to be appreciative of that? No need to be so rude to me- growling is for animals, Cass." Lazily pushing herself off the tree, she walked a circle around the squire who seemed far too concerned with appearing the princess. "I am here, you know. You're clearly more than a little worked up by what I've got to say, so you could at least acknowledge me! Or do they not teach manners here in Wyke like they do in the Raewalden houses? Owen seems to be the only consistent one on that front... First being insulted for my gratefulness, and now being ignored- gosh, you'd almost think I'm the graceful lady here."

"..." The scene had certainly turned a tad chaotic, enough that Owen stood still and quiet as his sister intervened, only taking discreet glances as some argument seemed to start. It would probably do better to have one less moving and talking person with a wild cub around. If only so Angus wouldn't get bitten or anything out of fright.

"...Angus." Owen spoke up once it looked like the tensions between the squire, Cass, and Sidney would only escalate. "Since you said you would put it down or let it free if your idea doesn't pay off, I'll let you take the cub, but it will be of your responsibility." Truth be told, Owen just didn't want to think of the idea anymore, "If this cub breaks anything, or harms anyone, it will be as if you did the act. I want you to keep that in mind, should you still wish to take the animal." That's probably how judgments are given, yeah.

Edited by Xinnidy

Well, once again, this was going nowhere fast. Adeltrudis knew Cassandra was... argumentative, but she had never managed to get herself in quite this bad... as far as Adele could recall. Still, if she knew Cass, that last comment was about to make her crack, and with that in mind, Adele lunged forward, and grabbed at Cassandra's wrist, which had already been in motion to brandish her axe. Giving Cassandra's wrist a firm, and pointedly dissapointed in her temper flaring, squeeze, Adeltrudis shook her head in Cassandra's direction, before turning towards the other involved party.

"I don't think either of you are qualified to speak foul of rudeness, or to gloat of grace, at present. It seems rather obvious to me, that you're making a point of trying to rile up Cassandra. While it's not my place to tell you whether you may do so or not, I would certainly call it... ill advised. You may have earned Prince Owen's good graces, but were things to escalate, I am certain you are aware that you would fall below his own sister in priority." Adele noted, keeping her voice even. As much as intervention here was important, she really didn't want to get dragged into this any further then was necessary. Of course, that would also necessitate also...

"As for you, Cassandra. I'll need to speak with you, once your duties are completed, yes? It would seem that temperament of yours still needs to be checked. I assume I'll receive no objections, Owen?" Adele concluded, squeezing Cassandra's wrist harder than previously, intended to make it abundantly clear that she was in no way amused.

"No objections." Owen replied immediately following Adele's intervention. Internally, Owen thanked the gods one other person wasn't trying to make a riot at the moment, and it there was somebody that could keep Cass in check, it was Adele. "I'd rather any pent up anger be focused on Dettard, not on one another. Do not make regret choosing any of you for this mission with a rebellion on my father's kingdom on the line." Owen's tone became curt, trying to remind those around of his authority.

Edited by Xinnidy

What the hell was this? Cass had made it abundantly clear that she wanted little or nothing to do with this Sidney; she did not care for her thanks or her gratitude, and yet she was still talking to her? The princess was not stupid enough to ignore the less than thinly veiled insults in the woman's speech, gripping her axe handle tighter. She had gone past gritting, grinding her teeth together. Graceful? You're as graceful as a toad! Desperately latching its tongue onto the nearest fly for whatever meal you can snatch! "You want an animal? I'll show you an animal you worthless little--" Cass had nearly started for a wind up, when a hand grabbed her wrist, and tight. She flinched, dropped her axe, and spun to see Adele.

Whatever she'd been holding back against Niko had come out at Sidney, and in all her attempts to not embarrass her siblings, it looked like she had failed, miserably. Owen's words especially cut deep, and she felt herself tearing up. Lowering her head in defeat, she bit her lip, and nodded, harshly tearing her wrist away from Adele and calmly collecting her weapon. "I'll go see Claire," she managed, slowly walking off towards the mage and the swordsman she was speaking with.

She didn't stop to speak with them, hiding her face and quickly healing the wound on Claire. It seemed she'd been hit with the same spell Cass had, and with the same luck, but there wasn't anything to say with that. She'd healed her and that was that. Now she needed a quite place to curl up and die. The nearest tree seemed fine, sulking over to it and collapsing her back against it. Knees pulled up to her face, she started crying, but kept herself quiet as to not draw anymore attention.

"I show nothing but gratitude for the help I received, am shown scorn for this completely positive stance, and I am threatened the instant I make a comment on the princess and brat's foul demeanor? And they've the audacity to call their dispositions in this conversation noble? Impudent children! I'm not the one readying a weapon here among what is supposed to be a group of allies." Sidney's previously rather cheery disposition turned rather grim. "And you wonder why people like you so easily earn contempt from the less privileged- an air of undeserved superiority is all that it takes!" She leered as Cass was lectured by her brother and friend.

"And I'll not apologize for the princess's attitude towards me- had I done something to deservedly incur wrath in the first place, perhaps I would. But when she heals me only reluctantly and is sour about the whole process before nearly turning to weapons, a thought that hadn't entered my mind, all bets are off. It is clear that she needs some lessons in restraint!" Huffing angrily, she brushed herself off and generally adjusted her posture to be more presentable than normal, evidently somewhat affronted by the fact she'd been spoken down to so, and put on her glasses. To her credit, she did indeed look far less the part of a thief with a modicum of effort. Them, noble! What a joke. "If we've nothing important to discuss, I'd rather we be on our way sooner than later."

Edited by Reinfleche

Owen sighed, clearly distressed that the tension wasn't disrupted as hoped. "...Fine. Sidney, no one's asked you to apologize, but you are right that we should be preparing to leave anyways. See if anyone could use the help, or just get yourself ready." Owen's tone now felt more defeated and tired than demanding, and he dismissed those around him with a handwave. "You too, Angus, figure out how you'll handle that cub around, if you must."

Owen placed a hand over Adele's shoulder, but said nothing and walked past her, following Cass to her lonely destination. "Hello. Sister." Owen looked down at a sulking Cass, he sighed. "I know these few days have been frustrating. It's been frustrating for me too. I'm not happy when people just berate you in front of me, but... I don't want things to turn so chaotic. I'm the leader, I can't have all this tension arise when I'm trying to command. I... I suppose that ends up with you being on the receiving end, too. I'm sorry for that." Owen exhaled deeply, "Can I sit down beside you?" He asked, hoping Cass didn't mind his presence after that.

Adele didn't have much else to say to or about the outlaw... she did seem a troublesome one, but it was Owen who had stake in her, after all. A moment after Owen himself had given his speech and walked past, Adeltrudis made to follow, a few paces behind the Prince as he made his way to his sister. As he asked of her, Adele continued to hang back for the moment... if Cassandra felt herself only in shape to speak to one of them, it would most assuredly be her brother, and Adele didn't want to intrude quite so far, just yet.

Don't Go Away

Cass was still crying by the time Owen came over, trying not to sob, a small hiccup escaping when she was touched. "Of course," said her shaky voice. She peeked up at him, trying her best to shield her face. "I've emb-barrassed you, haven't I, brother...?" She almost smiled, but it was lost in her own disappointment. She noticed Adele coming over as well, not sure what to say to either of them. Owen had been right about the tensions, frustrations, and all of what that entailed. But Cass losing herself against this Sidney was her own fault. She didn't deserve to be belittled or disrespected, but going as far as to nearly attack someone else over petty words? It was far from what should be expected of her. She just, didn't get it...

What does she get out of pushing my buttons? I've made it clear I hate it, I've told her to stop, I just... What will it take? Am I the problem? Do I have to just deal with this? I'm the princess! I shouldn't have to put up with anything I don't like... And yet... Cass sighed, wiping her face, and looking up at Owen and Adele with her red eyes. She tried to smile, managed a smirk, and then looked back down. "What'll it be, then? A lecture, grounding when we get back, some lashings? I'm sure I deserve something, so..." She curled up just a bit more, not entirely fond of the thought of being hit by either of them, but if it came to it, they were her elders, and they knew better.

Edited by Snake Mom

"Honestly, Cassandra. You make a point of boasting to me of how tough you've become, and here I find you crying in the corner over such a simple thing." Adeltrudis began, speaking in a rather forward tone. This was a gamble, but she felt she had Cass... mostly figured out. Or so she hoped, at least.

"Just as ever, you focus so adamantly on strengthening your body, but you leave your wit to rot! You may not enjoy her company, but you need at least find yourself to the extent that you can manage her presence without losing your cool." Adele continued, taking a moment to inhale before continuing.

"And don't think I don't know exactly what goes through your head, either. Why should a princess need deal with this buffoonery? Who is she, to dare to speak down at me, of all people?! Fact of the matter is, Cassandra, that whether she is in the right to say such things, and whether you deserve to hear them is entirely irrelevant. We are in the middle of the woods, in the far-side of the country, with not a court in sight for a fortnight. And for her to get under your skin in such a way, you cannot possibly think her not crafty enough to at the least make herself scarce before encountering them, either, should she incur Owen's wrath, beyond your own discomfort." Adele concluded, letting out a long breath, and taking in another slow inhale of air, not used to spouting off quite so many words in rapid succession.

"As for your punishment, must you ask? The same as always." Adeltrudis began, moving on to the next subject, taking a step back, and allowing her muscles to loosen, before bracing.

"Go on then, as we've done since we were but small children, Cassandra. Get to your feet and come at me, show me the extent of that emotion, so that we might expunge it, hmm? Swing as hard as you like, but I'll return it twice as hard, you should know the deal by now. Last time, you didn't even manage to stagger me, so I'll hope you can do a little better than that." Adele announced, a flourish to her voice... as good as this had always been at calming Cassandra down, well...she was no longer the small girl she had been. She might even be stronger than Adeltrudis herself by this time, but...

Owen opened his mouth as Adele started addressing Cassandra; he kept quiet and let her speak first. It wasn't surprising that Adele would understand Cass well, considering how close they were; it still surprised Owen when she mentioned of their own way of punishment. Owen made no voice of protest though his face expressed surprise. Somehow, Owen did not feel as close to Cassandra as he first thought.

"...Cass, you haven't embarrassed me. You're my sister, I'd never be ashamed of you." Owen spoke true, once Adele was done with her part; His voice bearing a mellow tone. Owen took the chance to sit beside Cass, "That's why I worry when a commoner can get you so riled up, or when you joined the frontline and bring your axe down on bandits. It's not an easy change from our life, and I don't want you to exert yourself and do something you'd regret later." Owen moved his hand to hold Cass' for a moment, mantaining a firm, but not harmful grasp. "You're my dear sister, but even you and me aren't above some things. I just want to help you clear your mind."

Owen released his grasp on Cassandra's hand, gesturing towards Adele. "I can't say I knew of this, but if you want to let off your feelings, go ahead." Owen turned to look at Adele with some hint of concern. "Just... don't break each other."

The words were nice and reassuring, mostly. It only helped her feel a little better, but hearing Owen tell her that he wasn't embarrassed definitely helped. She didn't know how she hadn't, he seemed rather fond of the thief, for some reason, but if she hadn't she knew he wouldn't lie about it. Adele as well, she was right. Whether or not Sidney disturbed her peace of mind, she had to be able to deal with it, because she wasn't going past boundaries. And if she did, she wouldn't stay. What fool would stay and await the guillotine? She sighed again, gently resting her head against Owen as he sat down. "Alright, the both of you... I'm sorry for overreacting so much. I just didn't want to upset either of you." Her tone was sullen but her expression had livened up greatly.

"But, really, doing that in front of all the men, all of the new soldiers? I..." Cass slowly stood up, holding her arm gently. "I don't really want to hit you, Adele... But..." This wasn't the first time. Whenever Cassandra had been upset, or enraged over something, Adele had gotten her to hit her, hit her back... It all devolved into a little slug fest, leaving them both tired, but having expelled her anger into the fight. Was she still feeling upset? Mostly at herself, but yeah, she definitely was. Would it be worth it to get rid of that feeling?

Maybe.

"Fine, but... Nothing to the face, and we're not to break anything, understood? I can heal you, but Jeeves is far too spent to heal me, so..." Cass shook her head and balled up her hand into a fist, taking a breath before quickly lunging at Adele and smacking her in the shoulder... Rather half-heartedly, unfortunately. Maybe she wasn't feeling it, after all.

Owen also chipped in, his level head and reason thoroughly welcomed as an opener, to help Cassandra get into a better overall state of mind. Adeltrudis herself had mostly stood by as the Prince spoke, waiting for Cassandra to stand and say her piece, followed by a proposition of no shots to the face, and a hit that was... rather obviously without feeling behind it.

"That's fine, but if that's all you can muster, then you needn't worry about your face, Cass." Adele replied, half-taunting the princess, as she returned the blow at double the force, just as promised. Still, a relatively weak blow to the arm was all that came of it.