Post your Super Mario Maker levels!

Alex95

This contains things like variety, creativity, and effort. Your level is mediocre by comparison.

Your level might have had some potential (I liked the use of the Gold Mario costume), but I should also mention there's this game called New Super Mario Bros. 2, which is literally MADE of high quality coin levels! Your level was doomed from the start.

So... you're comparing her level to a sample level MADE BY NINTENDO? That's a little low, Zera. The point of the game is to create and have fun, and I think she's doing a pretty awesome job! Excuse the rest of us for not being able to live up to your standards.

If you wanna bag on someone's levels, Zera, do it somewhere else.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zera, if people wanted your criticism they'd ask for it. Most of us are just making levels casually and hope that others find fun with what we put out, but if you don't, then don't come here and berate us for it.

Edited by Knight

So... you're comparing her level to a sample level MADE BY NINTENDO? That's a little low, Zera. The point of the game is to create and have fun, and I think she's doing a pretty awesome job! Excuse the rest of us for not being able to live up to your standards.

If you wanna bag on someone's levels, Zera, do it somewhere else.

Yes, I did. No, it isn't. Behold this video, in which George Weidman of Super Bunnyhop reviews levels sent to his channel. It's a fantastic look at what works in SMM and what doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGcB8CFUynk

The point of Super Mario Maker, hence the title, is to create levels that could hypothetically exist in a Mario game. As far as I'm concerned, making a bad level is the only real way to "lose" in this game.

I have an inherent right to criticize any level I want, as harshly as I want, and here's why: Time is money, and whenever you upload a level to Course World, you are telling random players like me, via 100-Mario challenge, to expend their valuable time to experience something you made. Under these conditions, it is only fitting and fair that you create something of decent quality. It doesn't have to be great, but it does have to be good. If you want to make a mediocre level, either don't upload it, or do upload it and take my feedback into consideration. After all, what's the point of sharing levels at all if we can't also share feedback? How am I supposed to know if people enjoyed my level or not? How will I know of my design strengths and weaknesses, and make better levels in the future? If you don't want negative feedback at all, then you're just as bad as Nintendo with their "Every comment gives a star! There's no such thing as a bad level!" policy. If you really want, I can make my own topic, but it will feel very redundant to this one, so I highly recommend against it.

Zera Plays Anacybele's Level "In the "Sky"

This level is actually pretty good. The placement of enemies, coins, and power-ups is varied and so are the cloud platforms. I like that you have to climb a vine at the start, as it gives the feeling of moving to a higher altitude. I like that you can hijack lakitu's cloud and skip part of the level, but not enough to make it feel like it was broken.

You should have used blue platforms on the rails instead of yellow. Blue platforms don't move until Mario jumps on them. I missed a yellow platform and had to wait 15 seconds for it to come back, while being pelted at by lakitu's spinies. That was not fun.

I would replace the single magikoopa with a flame-spitting piranha plant since there are merely two transformable blocks nearby.

After the final Super Mushroom I saw the goal in literally 3 seconds. There's no reason to have a power-up so close to the end of your level, as creates an unfulfilled expectation that there's still more "level" left to go. And then it feels like the level ended early, leaving a hint of disappointment in the player's final thoughts.

The goal post is also in a strange position where I can literally just run into the top of it because of how high the platforms are. I would either erase the final plaform, or lower the goal as much as possible instead of working against its height limit. This would also strengthen the theme of the level, being that it takes place in the sky.

Finally, and this is optional - I would put a pipe or two in the middle of the abyss that lead to a bonus room before dumping the player slightly ahead in the course. Most players would miss it, but some players would find a lucky shortcut instead of simply dying. It's nice to cover the edge cases in your level and include secrets like this.

I hope all this advice helps you in your future levels. I put a substantial effort into this commentary, so don't discount it!

@Randoman: I left a very useful comment for you on "A Bombastic Bowser Battle" Actually, I'll add it to my "Do's and Don'ts" topic, as it relates to the hitpoints of bosses.

Yes, I did. No, it isn't. Behold this video, in which George Weidman of Super Bunnyhop reviews levels sent to his channel. It's a fantastic look at what works in SMM and what doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGcB8CFUynk

The point of Super Mario Maker, hence the title, is to create levels that could hypothetically exist in a Mario game. As far as I'm concerned, making a bad level is the only real way to "lose" in this game.

I have an inherent right to criticize any level I want, as harshly as I want, and here's why: Time is money, and whenever you upload a level to Course World, you are telling random players like me, via 100-Mario challenge, to expend their valuable time to experience something you made. Under these conditions, it is only fitting and fair that you create something of decent quality. It doesn't have to be great, but it does have to be good. If you want to make a mediocre level, either don't upload it, or do upload it and take my feedback into consideration. After all, what's the point of sharing levels at all if we can't also share feedback? How am I supposed to know if people enjoyed my level or not? How will I know of my design strengths and weaknesses, and make better levels in the future? If you don't want negative feedback at all, then you're just as bad as Nintendo with their "Every comment gives a star! There's no such thing as a bad level!" policy. If you really want, I can make my own topic, but it will feel very redundant to this one, so I highly recommend against it.

First bold: No. The point of the game is create any and all levels that you can dream up! If you wanna create a level for a Mario game, go program a Mario game! This is a game meant to have fun and be creative, not to fit within how Mario games work.

Second bold: Then don't play them. Simple as that.

Third bold: I'm not saying you can't share feedback, but you are making it a little bit harsh. You are making it seem like you're comparing created levels to Nintendo's specifics or your own.

Honestly, Zera, you're taking all the fun out of this. And that's what the game's supposed to be! Create, share, and play. Whether you're three or thirty, doesn't matter. The point of this game (and most other games, really) is to have fun. Let them learn from experience rather than negativity. Don't tell people "You should've done this instead," that'll just invoke them.

Play some of my levels, Zera. There will be trolls abound and LOTS of things for you to complain against.

When I made that level, I didn't yet have access to bonus areas. I also didn't know how to do the platforms that don't move until Mario jumps on them. So apologies there, those are fair critiques.

Also, I disagree that the point of Mario Maker is to make levels that would work in a Mario game. They don't have to be just like the levels you play in the games, why can't they just be fun stuff like those levels that play music or something? I do admit that the "don't move" levels get boring after a short time though.

EDIT: Well, screw my post, Power Master explained it better than I ever could. :P

Edited by Anacybele

I've been away for a while, but I'm finally back with making stages again, as my Wii U is finally fixed.

Here it is,

Mushroom Gorge:67A7-0000-00A8-BF58

It's a Mario Kart theme stage, but it's rather simple, as I haven't made a stage in a while, and didn't want to go overboard, but I still hope you guys enjoy it!

This is my first attempt at a longer stage which makes use of a sub-level: A2DD-0000-009B-BC3A

Bowser's First Castle was pretty challenging. I only made it halfway, but I gave you a star for it!

if anyone remember my ninja warrior stage, i remade it to fix the problems: 4540-0000-00A1-694C

Very good level design. I only couldn't make it to the end because I ran out of time...

Bowser's First Castle is a lot harder than I remember... have a star!

Here are my first two uploaded levels -

Danger Rising: E496-0000-009A-1573

Torpedo Time!: BF56-0000-009A-2D4F

I'll have much more interesting levels once I unlock everything, but those should be fun.

Danger Rising was an interesting run as the platforms constantly got smaller. Barely made it.

Torpedo Time! was deadly. Very deadly. If it wasn't for the starman, I wouldn't have lived.

Waluigi's Dance Party: B8C7-0000-00A6-AF88

This is the dumbest course I've made yet. But believe me, it is worth experiencing.

At first, I was terribly confused. But once I figured it out, I made it out with seconds to spare.

Good job on all of those!

I've been away for a while, but I'm finally back with making stages again, as my Wii U is finally fixed.

Here it is,

Mushroom Gorge:67A7-0000-00A8-BF58

It's a Mario Kart theme stage, but it's rather simple, as I haven't made a stage in a while, and didn't want to go overboard, but I still hope you guys enjoy it!

I lost the kart halfway through and had to flatfoot it from there haha. Great job!

@Anacybele I also played your Gold Rush stage. Lot of fun. Very confusing. Nice job!

As for my own course, I made a simple Where's the Exit? stage. Hope you get lucky! 83E0-0000-00A8-D81E

@Power Master: Not only do the platforms get smaller, but the gaps get bigger!

@Water Mage: If the goal of your course was to imitate Mushroom Gorge from Mario Kart Wii, you didn't do a very good job. There's a bridge in that course, but no bridge in yours. You included a whole bunch of enemies that never appeared in the course, and you didn't include the underground part with two mushroom paths. I'm going to make my own version that will be more faithful. Until then, please enjoy these quirky levels.

Bowser's Really Solid Castle: 53CD-0000-00A8-DBB2

The Cave of Many Questions: 8E9A-0000-00A8-DE19

Got some more levels.

Actual Plumbing! AA6B 0000 0099 4ABA

This is a mostly straightforward course. There are three paths that must be completed to finish the level, but they're short and simple.

Boss- Bowser's Deadly Spires BBDC 0000 00A2 58E4

I wanted to make a chaotic boss fight, but I didn't want to make it too hard so there are plenty of power-ups (you'll need them though). Damage invincibility can be exploited to beat it, but please don't. My brother actually uploaded it before it was fine-tuned, so it isn't as good as I wanted it to be, mostly an experimental level. If you want something harder, go into the editor and reduce the amount of power-ups.

Edited by Knight

Actual Plumbing!: I like this course, but I would have used rocky wrenches instead of dry bones. Anyways, on to analysis...

Things I liked:

1. The cape shortcut to skip the level is smart because most players won't find it unless they really try to get up there. (Or try to analyze your level.)

2. The idea of using POW blocks to clear sewer plants is executed well.

3. The free star and flying coins provide a great power rush for the end of your level. (The falling platform to save clumsy players is also nice.)

Things that could be improved:

1a. The coins in front of the flaming piranha plant hint that its pipe might be a warp pipe. Coins should only be placed outside of the player's path to be a secret or suggest one, or you risk creating a negative possibility space.

1b. The single coin in the beginning part of your level seems to have no reason to exist.

2. The Starman next to the chain chomp is (as far as I know) impossible to get without taking damage, unless the chomp randomly escapes its post.

3a. The two pairs of nipper plants immediately fall into the abyss upon spawning, so the player will never see them.

3b. The last dry bones traps two goombas, causing them to move in an unatural manner.

3c. The line of POW blocks at the end serves no purpose, so it just makes your course look more amateur.

Final rating: 7/10

Boss- Bowser's Deadly Spires: This course is very interesting; it even has another cape shortcut. Unfortunately, the fact that your title explicitly says "boss" means players are not going to take their time to explore your level. In other words, don't expect anyone to hit any of those invisible blocks. The fire flowers in your level are completely useless, as they are more difficult to reach and it's easier to use the other power-ups. Final rating: 8/10

@Water Mage: If the goal of your course was to imitate Mushroom Gorge from Mario Kart Wii, you didn't do a very good job. There's a bridge in that course, but no bridge in yours. You included a whole bunch of enemies that never appeared in the course, and you didn't include the underground part with two mushroom paths. I'm going to make my own version that will be more faithful. Until then, please enjoy these quirky levels.

I know it wasn't perfect imitation, but I never intended for it to be, I added those enemies because I thought people would enjoy an extra challenge of trying to keep the Kart until the end of the stage. Perhaps I should have said that the stage itself was inspired by the Mario Kart track, not an complete recreation, since making stages based on a theme it's a habit of mine, and I always make my stages with a specific theme in mind.

That being said, I did try your stage and it was very much like the track.

Don't bother, Power Master. He just ignores everyone that critiques his critiquing. It's not worth it. So let's ignore him right back.

I was gonna do this anyway.

I played your Berry Mountain and Sky stages, though (forget what the later is called :P) Pretty good design, I think. Love to see more!

My brother complained that Mushroom Gorge was too easy, so I made a MUCH harder version. If you can beat this, then congratulations!

Mushroom Gorge EXTREME: F0D0-0000-00AA-C3FC

Tell me what you think!

I was gonna do this anyway.

I played your Berry Mountain and Sky stages, though (forget what the later is called :P) Pretty good design, I think. Love to see more!

Oh, thanks. ^^ And that sky stage is simply called "In the Sky" lol

Wait, do you mean Berry Land or Cake Mountain for the former? Because I don't have a level called Berry Mountain...

Edited by Anacybele

Oh, thanks. ^^ And that sky stage is simply called "In the Sky" lol

Wait, do you mean Berry Land or Cake Mountain for the former? Because I don't have a level called Berry Mountain...

Both, actually. I kinda accidentally mixed the names together haha.

As you can probably tell, I'm not good with names :P

How can you name a level Berry Land if there are no berries in Super Mario Maker?

Because she can name it whatever she wants. It's her stage.

Speaking of, I can't seem to play it. Says it's not found.