Lyn's Legion mode

Nym

This topic is a following of the last one I made. Normally, I was planning to play FE6 after FE7 but I consider my last run a fail because:

1. Lowen died and Bartre ''died''.

2. Other mistake I made, being a guy who started to play on Awakening, I thought I could supports all the units with all their respective supports partners (would be so broken when I think about it). So guess what happened? Well, Eliwood end up with only a B support with Ninian (5 supports caps OP. I have no idea why I didn't notice that in FE8)

And I don't know about you but I liked Lyn's tale even if this is just a tutorial. It's very sad that she lost the spotlight after the 10 chapters (imagine a ''Lyn mode'' with even more challenges than Hector mode. Just think about BBD in this mode).

So instead of doing Hector mode, I want to try a ''Lyn's Legion mode''. Basically, I will use only the units that you get in Lyn's tale. I​t will be on Eliwood Hard Mode (​sorry I forgot to specify).

T​he units I already know I will use (EDIT)

1. Lyn

2. Florina

3. Erk

4. Serra, f​​or you, Water Mage ^^ ( It's the only healer anyway)

5. Dorcas

6. Matthew

7. Wallace Kent ​

8. Nils

9. R​ath

1​0. L​ucius

(EDIT) I made my choice

S​ain and Kent:​ Well, you have all suggested me to use Kent instead of Wallace because the duo cavaliers can do a better job than the lonely retired General. Good-bye Wallace!

W​il or Rath: I guess this was an easy choice, Wil will be able to join his family soon (but only after I get Rath).

L​ucius: T​here is no question about it, I will use Serra but I will also use Lucius.

Also there is 2 exceptions to the rule of this run

Yup, it's our almost-lovers: Eliwood and Ninian s​ince they both appear in Lyn's tale even if they were not playable (they could have if Lyn didn't denied Eliwood's aid and Ninian would have not twist her ankle).

So overhall 12 units but...

EDIT: Now that I no longer need Wallace. I will use Hector (since he was kinda in Lyn's tale even if he had no impact on the story). Yes, I changed my mind really quick but I'm weird like that.

Thanks for you answers in advance (tell me if I made some mistakes).

Edited by Nym

You don't need to force yourself to use Serra because of me, but anyway,

The problem with Will, is that most base class archers like him and Rebecca don't do well, Louise, despite being a pre-promote and joining late, usually is better.

Sain's is pretty good, he has excellent strenght.

Both Lucius and Serra are good, but Serra's is usually the superior light magic user, due her supports choices.

That being said Serra and Lucius can support with each other, and their support bonuses make the two quite a team. Their supports conversations being good certaintly doesn't hurt either.

Do you know how the character's elemental affinity boost each stat? The support bonuses from the GBA games work in different way than from Awakening.

Edited by Water Mage

Sain

Wil (I never used him so I don't know how good he'll turn out, until I see somebody else try)

Yes, definitely use Lucius. Take out Erk or Serra if you need to.

Well, since Erk is the only mage you can get in Lyn's tale, I won't take him out. I will see for Serra though but I want to see her fighting capacities.

You don't need to force yourself to use Serra because of me, but anyway,

The problem with Will, is that most base class archers like him and Rebecca don't do well, Louise, despite being a pre-promote and joining late, usually is better.

Sain's is pretty good, he has excellent strenght.

Both Lucius and Serra are good, but Serra's is usually the superior light magic user, due her supports choices.

That being said Serra and Lucius can support with each other, and their support bonuses make the two quite a team. Their supports conversations being good certaintly doesn't hurt either.

Do you know how the character's elemental affinity boost each stat? The support bonuses from the GBA games work in different way than from Awakening.

Oh don't worry, I was only mentioning your name (don't worry, like I said, Serra is the only healer).

I know the affinity boost the stats like attck,def,crit,etc but I don't know the differences between each elemental affinity (since the game never mention about this). I just assume 2 units get additionnals stats when close to 3 spaces or less..

Well, since Erk is the only mage you can get in Lyn's tale, I won't take him out. I will see for Serra though but I want to see her fighting capacities.

Oh don't worry, I was only mentioning your name (don't worry, like I said, Serra is the only healer).

I know the affinity boost the stats like attck,def,crit,etc but I don't know the differences between each elemental affinity (since the game never mention about this). I just assume 2 units get additionnals stats when close to 3 spaces or less..

Here it is:

http://serenesforest.net/blazing-sword/characters/supports/calculation/

This page tells a lot about elemental affinities and supports.

Hope it helps!

The boost given by supports however are not as high as the ones in Awakening, but they are still very good.

Edited by Water Mage

Yup, it's our almost-lovers: Eliwood and Ninian s​ince they both appear in Lyn's tale even if they were not playable (they could have if Lyn didn't denied Eliwood's aid and Ninian would have not twist her ankle).

So overhall 12 units so it means no Hector for this run since I also need the Llyod version of the FFO for getting Wallace.

Thanks for you answers in advance (tell me if I made some mistakes).

Actually, Hector DOES appear in Chapter 7. He appears in the easternmost house on the map. He even has a bonus conversation with Matthew and everything!

Actually, Hector DOES appear in Chapter 7. He appears in the easternmost house on the map. He even has a bonus conversation with Matthew and everything!

Umm yes you're right but I may use him in the early levels but I don't want to train him too much because of FFO.

Also, do you plan on using any other units other than the ones in Lyn's tale?

I know you said you won't use Hector, but I just curious.

Also, I know I praised Serra a lot, but it's worth noting that Priscilla is still the better unit, due to mobility and Anima magic is superior to Light magic, the good points about Serra is that she dodges a lot and will get a lot of criticals. When I said Serra is good, I was talking about Light magic users.

Also, do you plan on using any other units other than the ones in Lyn's tale?

I know you said you won't use Hector, but I just curious.

Also, I know I praised Serra a lot, but it's worth noting that Priscilla is still the better unit, due to mobility and Anima magic is superior to Light magic, the good points about Serra is that she dodges a lot and will get a lot of criticals. When I said Serra is good, I was talking about Light magic users.

Basically, everything except kill a unit: bait, meat shield (without the unit dies of course), torch carrier, items carriers (Merlinus ,villages, etc).

Yes I know about Serra but to be honest, I always prefer a mobile healer over a more slower cleric but because I didn't use her in my last run (and she is the only healer you can get in Lyn's tale anyway).

But for what I've seen, it's very rare that you can get a mission where you can select over 12 units.

Edited by Nym

I would say Sain but really i is up to you.(IN fact I would suggest using both Sain and Kent since Wil is just not that good(Well for me anyways)and Rath joins really late for him to be viable unless you trained him well in Lyn mode(Again maybe that is just me)

I always use Lucius since I tend to use Priscella over Serra but for this case, both work.They have good bonuses too if they support and two Light Magic users is not bad.

I'd say use both Kent and Sain. They're both fantastic units and have a good support with each other. If you really don't want to use both, I guess Sain is the better pick, but I prefer Kent as a character and he's really not any worse. The only time their stat differences tend to make much of a difference, that I'm aware of anyway, is LTCing where Sain hits the magic number for 2RKOing more quickly.

Rath's better. Wil's not atrocious, but he's not particularly good. Rath's not stellar, but he's certainly better.

I'd say use Lucius. He's the epitome of a glass canon. He's got great offense, and actually has spectacular magical defense, but he might be the frailest character in the game, and he'll never be a great dodge tank because his luck is terrible.

IMO go:

1. Lyn

2. Kent

3. Sain

4. Florina

5. Erk

6. Serra

7. Nils/Ninian

8. Rath

9. Lucius

10. Eliwood

11. Matthew

12. Dorcas

I'd say use both Kent and Sain. They're both fantastic units and have a good support with each other. If you really don't want to use both, I guess Sain is the better pick, but I prefer Kent as a character and he's really not any worse. The only time their stat differences tend to make much of a difference, that I'm aware of anyway, is LTCing where Sain hits the magic number for 2RKOing more quickly.

Rath's better. Wil's not atrocious, but he's not particularly good. Rath's not stellar, but he's certainly better.

I'd say use Lucius. He's the epitome of a glass canon. He's got great offense, and actually has spectacular magical defense, but he might be the frailest character in the game, and he'll never be a great dodge tank because his luck is terrible.

IMO go:

1. Lyn

2. Kent

3. Sain

4. Florina

5. Erk

6. Serra

7. Nils/Ninian

8. Rath

9. Lucius

10. Eliwood

11. Matthew

12. Dorcas

Unfortunately, I will have the choose between the 2 cavaliers because of Wallace (he may not be Oswin but I still need a General).

Also, I swear Lucius activated so many crits like crazy today o_O.

Yeah, OP, do you really need to use Wallace?

Edit: Ninja'd, okay. Having both of the Cavaliers are better than having a pre-promote General to me.

Yes but you see, I need someone at the front line, oh yes Paladin can tank more magic damages than General...

But they can double and for me, that's a problem because I don't want my wall to take all the exps.

Wallace, being a pre-promote, can only get a few exp and he will still do his job.

Also I think Paladins don't have a good defence (average I think).

Oh yeah, personal preference here but I hate having two units of the same class in my team (except if I do this on purpose like I will do for Serra and Lucius).

Edited by Nym

You said you could use a unit to meat shield. Why not use Wallace like that and go with the traditional way to treat Jagens?

Do you desperately need his offense along with his defense?

Well correct me if I wrong but some Jagens like Seth or even Marcus (I'm not sure he's a Jagen in FE7) can be extremely good all the game.

I don't ''desperately'' need him, I mean for example: if I have a chapter that allow to have 11 units on the field and has a lot of magics user, I will take him out for the chapter. But usually prefer having a General in my team, it's my main wall after all.

But the main purpose of this run is to use units that you get in Lyn's tale and Wallace is part of the team so it's kinda my main reason.

Also, the units I was talking about are the units that you get on your team after starting the chapter (aka they just joined the army or you must recruit them).

Edited by Nym

This sounds interesting. I'll be following this. Also:

* Most basic archers suck in the FE GBA games. Just go for Rath, though he joins in chapter 20 or something, he's better than Wil, in my opinion.

* Well, the cavaliers are balanced: Sain haves more Strength, Defense and Luck than Kent, but less Skill, Speed and Resistance. I'd go for Sain if you want to hit harder and tank hits.

* Use Lucius obviusly, Serra takes a while to level her up and she is weaker in Magic (and many more stats) than Lucius.

And you should also use Hector, as well. A Lord is a Lord, heh.

I was checking the stats between Lucius and Serra, and it seems the choice between the two depend on what kinda unit you want, if you want pure power go for Lucius, however his luck stat is terrible, meaning that while his speed is good he won't be able to dodge a lot, Serra on the other hand has an amazing luck stat, and good speed as well, making her dodge a lot, which makes her an effective healer that can also attack, however she won't hit as hard as Lucius.

So, like I said, your choice between Lucius and Serra depends on what kind of Bishop do you want.

If your Bishop's primary role is to attack, then Lucius is the better choice, but if the Bishop's primary role is to heal, then Serra is the better choice.

This sounds interesting. I'll be following this. Also:

* Most basic archers suck in the FE GBA games. Just go for Rath, though he joins in chapter 20 or something, he's better than Wil, in my opinion.

* Well, the cavaliers are balanced: Sain haves more Strength, Defense and Luck than Kent, but less Skill, Speed and Resistance. I'd go for Sain if you want to hit harder and tank hits.

* Use Lucius obviusly, Serra takes a while to level her up and she is weaker in Magic (and many more stats) than Lucius.

And you should also use Hector, as well. A Lord is a Lord, heh.

- Even now, Rath can double everyone while I can only use Wil for finishing up someone (I'm in chapter 10).

- I choose Sain

-I will use both

The thing is that I need to get the Llyod version of FFO (for Wallace). Plus, even if Hector was in Lyn's tale, he got no impact in the story (that's why Eliwood and Ninian are selected).

Edit:

I can use both Serra and Lucius too.

Edited by Nym

Lucius's staff rank is actually excellent since he gets autoC on promotion, and he'll have the best physic range once you get him to B (Barrier spam in the desert should pretty much do it). It doesn't hurt to have 2 people with good staff rank, because Erk's not going anywhere near having one. You don't need a choice between 2 bishops. You can just use both. When I played FE11 I turned everyone physical and class A into a Paladin because Paladins are great. If someone's useful it doesn't matter if there's duplicates of a class; Class diversity is not necessary.

Thing with supports in FE7 is that it takes far too long to build and you have to stick characters next to each other at the end of the turn which, unlike Awakening where you can just smash them together into one unit for a while and get more stats on the one unit, it's very impractical to do here. So I wouldn't really count supports in unless they build VERY fast.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Lucius's staff rank is actually excellent since he gets autoC on promotion, and he'll have the best physic range once you get him to B (Barrier spam in the desert should pretty much do it). It doesn't hurt to have 2 people with good staff rank, because Erk's not going anywhere near having one. You don't need a choice between 2 bishops. You can just use both. When I played FE11 I turned everyone physical and class A into a Paladin because Paladins are great. If someone's useful it doesn't matter if there's duplicates of a class; Class diversity is not necessary.

Thing with supports in FE7 is that it takes far too long to build and you have to stick characters next to each other at the end of the turn which, unlike Awakening where you can just smash them together into one unit for a while and get more stats on the one unit, it's very impractical to do here. So I wouldn't really count supports in unless they build VERY fast.

I always try to get 2 healers in any games in any FE (one being a main healer and the other one getting staffs at promotion).

Well, for Ninian and Eliwood for example: They got C support at Genesis, B at the next chapter and none after that because Eliwood got the 5 supports caps. I'm an idiot.

Overhall, their support went up really fast because I spammed dance on Eliwood ^^.

Edited by Nym

Yeah Eliwood and Ninian's one of the faster supports in the game. Most supports are not that fast.

Lucius is the best candidate for after-promotion staves (not counting op prepromotes like Pent). Between huge mag and free ranks he saves you a lot of work, and being a free delete unit button also doesn't hurt, either.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Yeah Eliwood and Ninian's one of the faster supports in the game. Most supports are not that fast.

Lucius is the best candidate for after-promotion staves (not counting op prepromotes like Pent). Between huge mag and free ranks he saves you a lot of work, and being a free delete unit button also doesn't hurt, either.

Well it's either Lucius or Erk. Not a very difficult choice XD.