poll title  

37 members have voted

1. 1. which is best touhou soundtrack?

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>bombing immediately after dying.

Never do this. Rage bombs solve nothing. More comments after I finish watching, and do some practice with Marisa A.

The only reason I do that is just to get back some of the lost power, I really need to stop doing it

i'm replying to this all on MOBILE, wheeee.

first off thank you for taking the time to look through my replay and write all this up for me. :)

You definitely need more practice on Youmu's non (particularly the one she repeats over and over, although the butterfly pattern+knives one also looked to trip you up).

You also have a tendency to bomb when completely safe, although this is a bit better of a habit than not bombing when you should, so I hesitate to criticize it.

Are you looking for more specific tips on certain parts, or what sort of help were you hoping for?

tbh the nons are actually my biggest problem.

I actually do that on the advice of Proto, who told me to do that because i often die with almost-full bombs (i tend to physically defocus and get hit by stuff i shouldn't be getting hit by), and tbh its better to waste one bomb than get hit and waste 2-3.

i'll watch the replay in a bit.

I hate how you handle the stage opener, frankly. Even if the initial position technically is a safe spot, doing it that way encourages bad habits and dropping all those point items won't help you in the long run (extends are good, yo).

to be honest this isn't even how I would usually handle the opening. I only did it because i've been in practice for a half-hour by that point trying to get a grip on Youmu's patterns and of course have to play through the rest of the stage a ton to do so, so I was getting cheeky and bored with it at that point.

Also, you're always incredibly low on the screen, which with Sakuya A is rather unfortunate, as her unfocused mode needs to be higher up for more damage, otherwise the ridiculous spread wastes quite a bit of it at the edges

I suppose so. I generally feel comfortable lower on the screen, unless there's certain spellcards that demand I be elsewhere (Yuugi's Three Steps, etc.)

For the midboss, one trick will save you so much hassle and so many bombs. You can misdirect Youmu's entire first wave of bullets by being above her when she starts firing. You'll have to quickly move below her (unfocus) to avoid getting trapped, but it's definitely worth the hassle. If you're positioned right, you won't even lose any firing time on her as your initial bullets will still land, even though you're above her. I think you might already be away of this, but the blue arrow waves she fires are aimed toward your character, while the red arrow waves she fires are aimed to a point offset to your side (to keep you trapped). If you just rely on small movements, you should both avoid being hit and not feel to pressured about being boxed in. You should be able to clear this non's health before she repeats her pattern, and without the need for a bomb.

that's all honestly something I never thought of, I'll give it a try tomorrow if I have the time and fortitude to play.

Fasting of the Young Gaki is one of her simpler spells, and shouldn't need a bomb, as when things are slowed to bullet time it should be relatively simple to look ahead and find the safest path. I think you know how to do this, you just panicked, which can happen and is better than losing a life due to overconfidence.

that was just a panic bomb, yes.

Second Stage portion was handled just fine, although again, you let drop all the items, which always pains me a little.

to be fair I probably should get the items in practice so it becomes habit but again i was more concerned with getting experience with Youmu's attacks.

You can abuse the same misdirection trick for boss portion Youmu as well, I highly recommend it, as this time her waves are longer and denser, and easier to get tripped up on. In my run I end up safety bombing when I thought I was boxed in (though I might have been able to escape okay). In any case, one bomb is a vast improvement to the three you used in your run. Remember that her blue and red waves follow the exact same patterns as they did for her mid, they just have some more bullets fanning out on their sides this time, I think, but you can handle them the exact same way. Small focused movements to the side. Again, you should be able to clear its health in one full rotation, meaning you don't have to sit through the worst part of the non a second time.

I'm not sure what to say here that's different from what I said to the midboss non.

i ended up cutting this and the midboss non a bit though on advice from someone else (start towards the bottom-corner so she shoots there and slowly inch left) although yours might be better.

Youmu's butterfly patterned non is simply defeated by very small, measured movements to avoid the knife strings. You'll want to line yourself up with the obvious hole in the center for one pass, and then take advantage of the pretty generous gaps that form just to the side of this central hole on the following wave, then rinse and repeat. The knives are aimed at your position, so make sure you don't start moving until after she's finished firing them off, otherwise you can wind up having to travel a lot more distance than you need to.

i've been trying to do that but i get a bit afraid with the knives.

I'm pretty sure I have the spellcards down at this point at least. I've done more pratice since that replay and i've since made it to Yuyuko on 1 credit. if anything I'm gonna need to bash my head on stage 4 next though. >.>

Edited by Zak Something

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=41827

This is the farthest I've gotten without continues in PCB, and probably would have gotten farther if it weren't for the two stupid deaths in stage 1 and stupid death in stage 2. I'm surprised I managed to capture Immortal Sage's Rumbling and Incarnate Immortal Sage though, they're both usually pretty annoying spell cards for me (the former more so than the ladder, though I suppose I've gotten better at it since both Ringo's micrododging cards make it look like Icicle Fall on Easy in comparison even on Normal difficulty). I'd like some advice on how to not be bad at this.

>bombing immediately after dying.

Never do this. Rage bombs solve nothing. More comments after I finish watching, and do some practice with Marisa A.

literally my first and only credit

I'm bad at Marisa A, by virtue of never having used her on Normal (I main Sakuya B), so I'm not sure much, if any, of my advice is based on any fact.

Aside from your rage bombs, I'd tell you that you need to really hammer in some fundamentals. I'm hardly one to talk, as you see me dying stupid deaths with full bombs a lot in the sole credit I attempted, but you really can't afford to be running into fairy and stage bullets when you're not even greeding for POC (you shouldn't do that then either, but I would understand it more). Speaking of, I'm not sure I even saw you utilize point of collection even once, so, be aware that it is a thing, I guess, and that it is super useful for helping to secure those point item-based extends.

You got to Letty extremely low on power. While that is due in part to the unfortunate deaths, I think you may have missed a large chunk of the post-Cirno large power drops. I wish it was easier to secure the first Border for that section, but for someone of your skill level I can't really recommend doing the midboss unfocused to get the necessary cherry gain. I guess, be aware that it's a possibility for when you're more comfortable with the stage, I suppose?

I'm really bad at ferreting out good advice to give when not directed at a particular pattern, or stage portion though, so I'm sure this isn't going to be nearly as helpful as I would hope it to be.

i'm replying to this all on MOBILE, wheeee.

oh gosh, you are a brave soul...

first off thank you for taking the time to look through my replay and write all this up for me. :)

tbh the nons are actually my biggest problem.

I actually do that on the advice of Proto, who told me to do that because i often die with almost-full bombs (i tend to physically defocus and get hit by stuff i shouldn't be getting hit by), and tbh its better to waste one bomb than get hit and waste 2-3.

i'll watch the replay in a bit.

to be honest this isn't even how I would usually handle the opening. I only did it because i've been in practice for a half-hour by that point trying to get a grip on Youmu's patterns and of course have to play through the rest of the stage a ton to do so, so I was getting cheeky and bored with it at that point.

I was honestly disappointed nobody else had, and it was something I'd saved in open tabs to come back to when I had some spare time. Since today was my first day off in over two weeks, I figured I'd make it a priority.

Okay, I figured as much, that is very Proto-like advice, and quite solid actually. Like I said, I can't really criticize it, because it's not 'wrong' per se, and in the absence of a full run replay, I can't see when and where you might start running out of bombs when you need them to actually point out how this is a detriment in concrete, rather than abstract terms. I also have a tendency to be "looking ahead" in the patterns sometimes, and miss bullets right next to me, that when I watch on replay are cringe-worthy to run into, so I think I understand very well what you mean about physically defocusing, or zoning out, or whatever you want to call it.

I had the suspicion that might have been the case, as grinding stage practice when all you wanted was boss rush can be a chore, but for me shooters are all about habits, and if I start slacking, I know it's going to come back to bite me eventually. So I figured it was worth a mention at least, but it's good to know that you're actually more proactive in real runs.

I suppose so. I generally feel comfortable lower on the screen, unless there's certain spellcards that demand I be elsewhere (Yuugi's Three Steps, etc.)

that's all honestly something I never thought of, I'll give it a try tomorrow if I have the time and fortitude to play.

I'm not sure what to say here that's different from what I said to the midboss non.

i ended up cutting this and the midboss non a bit though on advice from someone else (start towards the bottom-corner so she shoots there and slowly inch left) although yours might be better.

Yeah, I used to be the same way, honestly, it feels a lot safer when there's more vertical space between you and the threat, closer to the bottom, but it also cuts off a lot of your options as well. You have much less room to retreat down the screen, so you're essentially limited to five main directions instead of the full eight. That's in addition to the business I already mentioned about the "shotgunning" damage boost being closer to the enemies can often provide. It will takes some getting used to, and there are definitely times and patterns when lower is safer, but I encourage you to experiment with it a bit.

You can probably combine both advice quite easily. Anyway, let me know what you think once you've had a chance to watch it on replay, and test it out. IIRC, it's a trick I picked up from watching replays from high score runners, who I think did it to rack up graze, but it's applicable for survivalists just as much, imo.

i've been trying to do that but i get a bit afraid with the knives.

I'm pretty sure I have the spellcards down at this point at least. I've done more pratice since that replay and i've since made it to Yuyuko on 1 credit. if anything I'm gonna need to bash my head on stage 4 next though. >.>

Gotcha, well, it might just be a case of practice makes perfect on that one then, hard to say.

Yeah, tbh, I was worried that by this point you'd already have 1cc'd it completely. Congrats on making it to Yuyuko, and unlocking her stage for practice though. That, in addition to some dreaded Stage 4 grinding on practice, should really help you cement this clear. I believe in you!

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=41829

I got a little bit farther now that I'm properly utilizing POB to get more points and borders and having a better understanding of when and when not to bomb, and managed to actually get to stage 4. I basically forgot how to play after then though, it was just bad

Edited by Crystalized Silver

I wish it was easier to secure the first Border for that section, but for someone of your skill level I can't really recommend doing the midboss unfocused to get the necessary cherry gain. I guess, be aware that it's a possibility for when you're more comfortable with the stage, I suppose?

MarisaA should definitely stay unfocused as much as possible even if you're not concerned with scoring; she has the highest Cherry Gain in the game, and getting a border essentially means a free bomb if you're not comfortable with the bullets currently on-screen while you have it. You can even press the bomb button to purposely break the border and clear the bullets shortly before it fades away.

i swear the AI is on a death timer

I'm pretty sure that is indeed the case on Lunatic. On the first attempt, Eiki gets like 5 minutes of perfect AI where she absolutely will not get hit unless you do something that messes with her AI (like Medicine's EX Attack).

...which means that Lunatic actually rewards playing suboptimally, as playing "optimally" and sending a lot of bullets to your opponent early on will just cause them to send them back tenfold.

Edited by Scarlet

I don't even like PoFV and I know that the AI works on a death timer.

Basically, since the AI is a computer, it'll dodge like one until the time runs out, then will get hit on purpose.

...It also cheats in that it may be invincible too.

Basically, since the AI is a computer, it'll dodge like one until the time runs out, then will get hit on purpose.

I wouldn't call it "getting hit on purpose", because that's still not true. Even after the timer runs out the AI will still try to dodge bullets, it just starts using less "perfect" algorhythms to do so.

...It also cheats in that it may be invincible too.

This only happens in Extra, though (and the game actually even admits it - it shows you exactly how long the invincibility lasts). It also evens out somewhat in that the Extra AI is really terrible, so it generally will get hit pretty much the instant its invincibility runs out.