About to start this, any tips or advices?

OakTree

After playing Awakening, i did a lot of research, and since i liked Awakening, i decided to, well, play the most Fire Emblem games that i can (I am particulaly excited to play Mystery), a logical decision, and after finishing Sacred Stones and recently Blazing Sword, i guess now it makes sense to play Binding Blade, i hear about how this is one of the hardest games in the series, so i was wondering if there is any advice for a first-time player anyone could give me. I already know a few things from research (Getting Gaiden chapters is a necessity, getting Rutger and Clarine to A-Rank is extremelly helpful, the only good axe users are prepromotes and etcetera), but i was wondering if there is any other valuable information i should know.

Alan and Lance are the best. Take your time training Roy (but make sure you're doing it while you can) because he isn't promoting any time soon.

Don't try training Sophia. It will be hell. Despite her actually turning out good if you train her, getting to that point is nearly impossible.

Lilina is a magical version of Hector. If you've used Hector, you know how he is. Miledy/Milady is also good and has great availability.

If you plan to use Rutger, don't train Fir. Clarine is probably the best of the healers (she's mobile too).

Avoid all Knights and Generals in the game. Yes, they can triangle attack. But it's not worth it.

While getting the Gaidens is a necessity for the best ending, I honestly don't recommend going for them except for the weapons you're planning on actually using. Those chapters are too much a pain in the neck for a first playthrough IMO.

Roy is said by a lot of players to be bad, but this isn't actually true IMO, he has good growths by this game's standards, and a very large support to boot. Spend your 5 supports on him wisely, and he's a solid dodgetank. His promo time is his only flaw, but I didn't have any issues with it until 1 chapter before his very late promotion.

Have Lilina recruit Gonzales and USE him. He is one of the best, if not the best, axe user in the game. He starts low leveled but that means he gains more level ups and he's not a Sophia. He's normal, takes a little bit to get going but turns into a beast upon promotion. Oh, take Route A (don't enter the right house on the north-east corner in Ch.9), he's better on that route. Enjoy the series' exclusive Brigand! You will be suprised how fast they are.

If you want to get the actual ending, remember to reach all the gaiden chapters. I've heard a lot of horror stories of new players getting screwed over and not being able to play the last few chapters because the game never tells you about that little requirement.

Another big thing to remember is that reinforcements spawn on the beginning of Enemy Phase instead of the end, even on Normal Mode. That sounds like a small thing but it can become really annoying if you forget about it, so try to steer vulnerable units away from obvious spawn points.

Oh, and another thing: Weapon accuracy is generally lower in this game, so it might be best to avoid axes unless you're OK with gambling every time axer fights (the aforementioned Gonzales is especially bad for this).. Also, what route you go to at a certain point in the game depends on whether your nomads or your pegasus knights have gotten more experience.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Be steady with Roy, he's my favorite character and I worked on him a bit too much and he was level 20 most of the game. Its good to get him strong though because he sucks if he's not and you need him strong, which is pretty obvious with any main Fire Emblem character. Lance and Alan are helpful so make sure you really use at least one of them. Knights honestly get in the way so don't worry too much about training them and make sure you have a healer because imo its harder to get the characters healed if you don't have one.