My 1st run of Radiant Dawn; questions, comments, thoughts, etc.

(unlikely spoiler question time!)

Ok, so I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm fighting against Oliver. Again. And apparently he can be recruited. WHY. I have no desire to recruit this guy. Is there any reason to recruit him (some hidden scene, awesome item, etc) or can I just kill this guy? I searched the forums and someone mentioned they thought recruiting him unlocked a song, but was't sure. Anyone know if this is true? As I'd really like to tear him to pieces.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(unlikely spoiler question time!)

Ok, so I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm fighting against Oliver. Again. And apparently he can be recruited. WHY. I have no desire to recruit this guy. Is there any reason to recruit him (some hidden scene, awesome item, etc) or can I just kill this guy? I searched the forums and someone mentioned they thought recruiting him unlocked a song, but was't sure. Anyone know if this is true? As I'd really like to tear him to pieces.

It does unlock a song.

Blast. Does the song 'unlock' just by recruiting him, or do you need to complete the game with him recruited? Essentially, could I finish the stage with him recruited, save on a different file and then go back to the old file and kill him?

Blast. Does the song 'unlock' just by recruiting him, or do you need to complete the game with him recruited? Essentially, could I finish the stage with him recruited, save on a different file and then go back to the old file and kill him?

I'm not sure how that works. Also, for what it's worth, he does have a unique battle theme that plays when he attacks an enemy unit, so you'll want to have him attack to unlock that one too..

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Well, I've made it to Rebirth! Huzzah!

Now then, who the heck do I take? Stat wise, the last six fights in this chapter have given so much exp my best units are all maxed (Micaiah, Ena, and Kuthanaga, who will be getting a LOT of left over bonus exp I apparently don't have to use).

I'm just wondering, with over 50 possible choices, how many possible script changes are there? I know there are various boss convo's, but I can't imagine leaving behind so many main characters (Elinica, Tibarn, Mist, Soren, Titania, etc) and not having the script have two dozen variations. I'm going to look over the scripts after I'm done, but this kind of boggles my mind, wondering if I should prioritize anyone for story reasoning.

Right now, I'm grabbing Soren, Titania, Rolf, Mist, Boyd, Elincia, Tibarn, Nephenee, Marcia, and Ilyana, all maxed (I still have others maxed too, like Jill and Haar, and I'd grab them over Kurth and Ena if it would let me). Reyson's my choice for Heron at moment. I think it should be fine, but I can't help but wonder how this is all going to work out, worrying I'm missing something but not taking ________ with me if that makes sense.

More than 10 units have boss conversations so you will inevitably miss out on some on them unless you keep a save at the beginning of Final and do multiple runs of the tower.

IIRC the only non-forced character that has anything other than boss conversations on the first playthrough is Naesala.

Hm, quick question. I've not been able to play much, so I'm still heading into the tower. It looks like a multi-fight without a full base thing, based on the numerous screens. Of concern is I don't seem to be able to change skills or use bonus experience once inside the tower. Can anyone confirm if that is the case, of I can switch skills and use bonus exp later? I used a bit of my bonus exp, but not all of it. And if I'm going to lose access to it, I'd like to use it all first, you know?

Hm, quick question. I've not been able to play much, so I'm still heading into the tower. It looks like a multi-fight without a full base thing, based on the numerous screens. Of concern is I don't seem to be able to change skills or use bonus experience once inside the tower. Can anyone confirm if that is the case, of I can switch skills and use bonus exp later? I used a bit of my bonus exp, but not all of it. And if I'm going to lose access to it, I'd like to use it all first, you know?

You can reassign skills and distribute bonus experience in the tower.

Almost to the end! I'm so close I can taste it!

Right now, I'm training up my two dragons on the Dragon king himself. So far so good, but I'm curious: that wave he sends out, what is that called (similar to Lekain's silence thing). Is there a formula for how much damage it does? It's range seems to be nine (which seems odd) and I don't dare let Leanne get close enough to have her conversation with THAT going on. I did whittle Nasir and friend to an untransformed state, and had Tibarn shove them into corners, so they aren't an issue, at least. Still, not knowing what that is, how it works, etc, annoys me. Anyone know?

Almost to the end! I'm so close I can taste it!

Right now, I'm training up my two dragons on the Dragon king himself. So far so good, but I'm curious: that wave he sends out, what is that called (similar to Lekain's silence thing). Is there a formula for how much damage it does? It's range seems to be nine (which seems odd) and I don't dare let Leanne get close enough to have her conversation with THAT going on. I did whittle Nasir and friend to an untransformed state, and had Tibarn shove them into corners, so they aren't an issue, at least. Still, not knowing what that is, how it works, etc, annoys me. Anyone know?

The damage depends on how close you are to him - it loses 5 power for every space you are away from him. The bosses afterwards use some moves like that too. Also, it has a range of 8 spaces, and is used if anyone other than Kurthnaga, Ena, or (maybe) your heron is within 8 spaces of him.

Good to know! Thanks :)

For better or for worse, I have finished my first run. The game has it's flaws, yet was fun in the end. I am slightly disappointing by how unbalanced characters are in this game, how a fully trained Arch Sage with full max stats and SS rank tome can't do as much damage as this last minute replacement unit, or how the laguz royals are just overpowered. I mean, the last fights Tibarn and Naesala (who I ended up taking over Marcia at the last minute) were able to tear most things to shreds, and once Kurthnaga and Ena were trained on the Black Dragon king, they were insane. My fully maxed Nephenee with the wishblade was reduced to killing spirits in the last chapter, as a laguz Royal was better in every way. It felt really cheap to know that nothing I did before the final chapter could make any of my favorite Beorc units compete with the last minute laguz units.

Still, it's done. I don't know if/when I'll do another run, but I'm glad I finally finished this game as it's been the only one in the series I've missed (well, except New Mystery, but I don't know Japanense). Now I have few months off before getting Fates and can do so knowing I'm caught up. It's been fun, Radiant Dawn, but time for me to move on to the next adventure.

To all who have been reading/following/answering in this topic, my thanks for putting up with an insecure player second guessing.... well, everything lol. You guys are great. Hope to see you all in Fates ;)

Hey, good job! Indeed, it's quite jarring just how much the Laguz royals eclipse the Beorc units in terms of sheer power. Formshift is too strong, yo.

FE12 has a fantastic translation patch available, if it's still on the cards for you and emulation or flash carts aren't an issue to you. I'd recommend it personally.

For better or for worse, I have finished my first run. The game has it's flaws, yet was fun in the end. I am slightly disappointing by how unbalanced characters are in this game, how a fully trained Arch Sage with full max stats and SS rank tome can't do as much damage as this last minute replacement unit, or how the laguz royals are just overpowered. I mean, the last fights Tibarn and Naesala (who I ended up taking over Marcia at the last minute) were able to tear most things to shreds, and once Kurthnaga and Ena were trained on the Black Dragon king, they were insane. My fully maxed Nephenee with the wishblade was reduced to killing spirits in the last chapter, as a laguz Royal was better in every way. It felt really cheap to know that nothing I did before the final chapter could make any of my favorite Beorc units compete with the last minute laguz units.

Hey, good job! Indeed, it's quite jarring just how much the Laguz royals eclipse the Beorc units in terms of sheer power. Formshift is too strong, yo.

Agreed. That being said, IMHO, the big losers in the transition from PoR to RD were the non-royal laguz - aside from a handful, most of them are just not good enough to warrant putting up with all the drawbacks. Also, I don't really care for the laguz royals, other than Naesala.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Hey, not each non royal laguz in FE10 sucks.

Giffca can one turn Deghinsea and ORKO the inside auras too.

He just needs one turn to transform.

Erm, yeah... To me, Giffca's essentially a royal.