Colm or Rennac?

Florete

The Rogues  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you use?

• Colm
    • Rennac

Except stat-wise, support-wise, avalibility-wise... You know, the stuff that isn't completely inconsequential.

Yeah, pretty much XD But I could never really level up Colm that well. I don't know why, but I could never get him past level 10.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ninji, not everyone has Colm fight. This is pretty much the reason I made the poll: to see if people train Colm or dump him when they get Rennac.

I'll be voting Rennac. If all they do is thievery, Rennac is better, and that's usually all they do for me.

Ninji, not everyone has Colm fight. This is pretty much the reason I made the poll: to see if people train Colm or dump him when they get Rennac.

I'll be voting Rennac. If all they do is thievery, Rennac is better, and that's usually all they do for me.

I thought we were talking about the characters, not "Who uses whom". >_> If we were talking about characters, Colm is the obvious winner.

I thought we were talking about the characters, not "Who uses whom". >_> If we were talking about characters, Colm is the obvious winner.

Did you read the first post? I realize it's a bit confusing, but I wanted to see who people used for thieving utility, and you're talking about him being a better fighter. That's obviously true, but it isn't the point of the poll.

Fine. Even when talking about utility, Colm wins. Unless you're constantly covering Rennac's ass, then he's going to be a liability. Without ranks, you're free to use promotion items on a whim, so it's not like there'll be a real reason not to promote Colm.

Edited by ChaosNinji

Fine. Even when talking about utility, Colm wins. Unless you're constantly covering Rennac's ass, then he's going to be a liability. Without ranks, you're free to use promotion items on a whim, so it's not like there'll be a real reason not to promote Colm.

And that's the kind of answer I was looking for.

Ninji gets massive support. <3

How is Rennac ever better than Colm in Theif utility? Considering that Rennac has all of two chapters of necessary Theif utility (Chapter 15 and 16), while Colm's utility is for virtually the entire game, I can't see how Rennac is better in any way. :o

Otherwise, Colm is still much better. He has actual supports (Neimi A, Moulder B or Kyle A, Moulder B) and is actually a benefit for the team at start. Rennac is simply awful.

Swordsalmon, if Colm didn't fight, and therefore is hardly level 10, Rennac would be better, yes? It's hardly a matter of stats for me; I need a thief, and Rennac comes good enough to do the job.

Swordsalmon, if Colm didn't fight, and therefore is hardly level 10, Rennac would be better, yes? It's hardly a matter of stats for me; I need a thief, and Rennac comes good enough to do the job.

Colm's utility lasts far longer than Rennac ever does, as the latter doesn't exist for almost the entire game. As such, Colm's utilities are considerably more valuable, and that alone makes Colm much better than Rennac.

Basically, Colm is better than Rennac overall, but you're better off using Rennac if Colm's durability is much worse. It's like what happened in my recent FE6 HM playthrough: I didn't bother giving Saul much EXP so in Sacae, I ditched him and started using Cecilia since she had better move, same staff rank and def/HP.

Edited by ThunderMan

Basically, Colm is better than Rennac overall, but you're better off using Rennac if Colm's durability is much worse. It's like what happened in my recent FE6 HM playthrough: I didn't bother giving Saul much EXP so in Sacae, I ditched him and started using Cecilia since she had better move, same staff rank and def/HP.

Except that Rennac can replace Colm for two chapters, while in your example, Cecilia can replace Saul for about half the game.

EDIT: Why the heck would Cecilia be used in HM anyways? She's already bad, but is truly awful in HM. :o

Edited by Swordsalmon

Simple, in my playthrough, Saul can't use a Physic, he's got less durability, 5 move. I only use Cecilia for healing and right now i'm on chapter 20x Sacae where I need 3 restore staff users (Niime, Clarine and Cecilia).

IMO, if you already know your way around HM, you can freely use any1 you want and have little trouble. In my current playthrough, Roy is level 14 with 8 STR and 13 speed (easy pickings for many enemies) and and he's not gonna get any levels... His only purpose is to kill Idoun and conquer Thrones. Some characters were used for like 1 or 2 chapters and it's not hindering my main units.

Edited by ThunderMan

Ah, I see. Originally, I thought you'd be using her for an extra Aircalibur user, but Physic works too. ^_^

Of course, just Dancing for Niime or Clarine is easier and less dangerous.

Colm's utility lasts far longer than Rennac ever does, as the latter doesn't exist for almost the entire game. As such, Colm's utilities are considerably more valuable, and that alone makes Colm much better than Rennac.

Which means that you use Colm for the maps you don't have Rennac and dump him if he's not up to par once Rennac does join.

Just because a guy is useful for "a longer period of time" doesn't mean he's better. It just means he gets used. Sort of like how Tauroneo is the reason I'm able to pump as much experience out of units as I can in 1-6-1 in Radiant Dawn. Remember that Fire Emblem is a strategy game first and RPG second.

Hell, I used Marisa for thieving utility my first playthrough after she promoted to assassin. IIRC they can still thief items and use lockpicks. Lockpicks aren't terribly difficult to get ahold of if you know what you're doing.