Thieves: Love them or hate them?

Kirb

Thieves are fun, even if they're rarely good for combat, looting chests and stealing items is a satisfying experience in any game, especially when you get an item you can't even buy.

Although I miss the ability to steal items from units, I like the new direction (as of Awakening/Fates) of thieves being viable in combat situations as well. Mind you, they should still be fragile but not obsolete in terms of fighting. The inclusion of poisons and hidden weapons really expanded their roles as support units.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the thieves! In terms of just stealing, it varies from game to game. I love them the most in the Tellius games. Being able to steal items and weapons makes them VERY useful! :3 In terms of fighting, their speed and dodge just makes them pretty usable. Strength and defense is a bit of a problem near the beginning, but after a while they can handle themselves fine (supports help as well. Ex. Colm and Neimi). Also, the time to train them isn't too noticeable for me...except maybe Awakening. Matthew from FE7 is probably my favorite thief of the series, both character and unit wise (Colm from FE8 and Anna from Awakening tie for second). Honorable mention to the thieves in RD, who can be pretty versatile if you use the forgery and the skills you get right (Heather on my recent playthrough of RD is quite deadly. Can't use her for endgame though...with Sothe and other better units and all... :3 )!

I have to say though, I personally think thieves in Awakening kinda lose value after a while. I haven't gotten the DLC for Awakening yet, but in terms of the game itself (minus the skill Acrobat, that makes all terrain the same for them...), thieve's values get lower as chapters went on (since they're mainly chest and door openers, which slowly dwindle in number. Also, there isn't really anything to steal in Awakening). Although...I have a soft spot for Anna. :3 I love Gaius, but he kinda fell from grace (in terms of fighting) about half-way through and he kinda occupies the bench with Panne, Viron, some nicely stacked armor, and a few others ...supports are still a joy to watch though! Anna just stayed useful, but even then, she isn't as useful as the thieves from older games. It kinda pulls on my heart strings to see the class fall from grace a bit...

I hope Fates lifts them back up a bit! :Joshua:

Edited by Busterman64

Depends on the game, some games have a super good thief that requires little to no effort to make good such as Julian/Pahn/FE10 Sothe/Anna. In the games that don't, I either barely ever use thieves or don't use them at all and just use keys instead. I almost never raise them to be combat units except that funky FE7 run I did once that made Matthew steamroll the first few chapters of Hector Mode cause I leveled him up a lot in Lyn Mode. IMO thieves should be able to steal weapons again since that gave them a unique niche in FE5 that made fighting mages less hellish in some chapters like 5.

I have to say though, I personally think thieves in Awakening kinda lose value after a while. I haven't gotten the DLC for Awakening yet, but in terms of the game itself (minus the skill Acrobat, that makes all terrain the same for them...), thieve's values get lower as chapters went on (since they're mainly chest and door openers, which slowly dwindle in number. Also, there isn't really anything to steal in Awakening). Although...I have a soft spot for Anna. :3 I love Gaius, but he kinda fell from grace (in terms of fighting) about half-way through and he kinda occupies the bench with Panne, Viron, some nicely stacked armor, and a few others ...supports are still a joy to watch though! Anna just stayed useful, but even then, she isn't as useful as the thieves from older games. It kinda pulls on my heart strings to see the class fall from grace a bit...

Really? I never really felt that way for some reason...

They're pretty worthless without steal IMO. In Awakening, I just stock on keys. Though Assassin is a nice combat class for promotion.

You can get a total of 7 Door Keys, 5 Chest Keys and 3 Master Keys in the entirety of FE13. After that, there's no way to stock on more.

Thieves are the best in FE5. Sooooooo broken.