In need of a downgrade.

flarp22

Have you made sure the problems aren't with your COMPUTER, and not the Operating system?

A LOT of people who have trouble with Vista really just have bad computers that can't run it properly, hell if you switch it to classic mode, it runs about twice as fast...

I forgot to mention that this is an HP laptop bought with Vista already there. Also, the fact that I can't run certain things on this OS that can run on XP is also part of the reason why I wanna downgrade.

I forgot to mention that this is an HP laptop bought with Vista already there. Also, the fact that I can't run certain things on this OS that can run on XP is also part of the reason why I wanna downgrade.

Doesn't mean it's built properly for it. My brother's computer was built for Windows Vista as it says, but when I took it apart, it was clearly designed for XP. 512MB of RAM was a joke.

Not to mention the parts were non brand name garbage. Companies are being cheap these days. However are you sure you've updated your vista fully, and what won't run, it might not be the operating system's fault.

Also as a side note towards the smartruler7 comment:

The topic says in need of a DOWNGRADE, if smartruler7 suggested Linux, he'd be admitting Linux was a downgrade from Vista, now wouldn't he? ;)

Format the hard drive, stick your obviously legitimately obtained XP disc in, turn on the PC, and gogogogogogoooooo!

Like what? Sometimes there are a few workarounds to that. I also have an HP, mind telling me the model type? mine is an hp pavillion dv6915nr.

Doesn't mean it's built properly for it. My brother's computer was built for Windows Vista as it says, but when I took it apart, it was clearly designed for XP. 512MB of RAM was a joke.

Not to mention the parts were non brand name garbage. Companies are being cheap these days. However are you sure you've updated your vista fully, and what won't run, it might not be the operating system's fault.

Also as a side note towards the smartruler7 comment:

The topic says in need of a DOWNGRADE, if smartruler7 suggested Linux, he'd be admitting Linux was a downgrade from Vista, now wouldn't he? ;)

smart...RULER??? DO I LOOK LIKE A RULER TO YOU? <_<

Yeah and flarp, tell me what kind of system specs you have. Like my laptop is a 2.0Ghz AMD Turion X2 64 and also has 3GB of RAM, 200GB hard drive.

I wouldn't downgrade to xp if i were you. I have vista, but i kinda doubt i'd bother downgrading since vista isn't slowing me down at all and i've managed to run most applications well enough in here.

And no, i'm not going to recommend linux to you all in here. instead, why not just downgrade to FREAKING WINDOWS 3.1?? :lol:

and yeah, whatever problems you have with vista, tell me. Just wondering what they could be.

Like what? Sometimes there are a few workarounds to that. I also have an HP, mind telling me the model type? mine is an hp pavillion dv6915nr.

smart...RULER??? DO I LOOK LIKE A RULER TO YOU? <_<

Yeah and flarp, tell me what kind of system specs you have. Like my laptop is a 2.0Ghz AMD Turion X2 64 and also has 3GB of RAM, 200GB hard drive.

I wouldn't downgrade to xp if i were you. I have vista, but i kinda doubt i'd bother downgrading since vista isn't slowing me down at all and i've managed to run most applications well enough in here.

And no, i'm not going to recommend linux to you all in here. instead, why not just downgrade to FREAKING WINDOWS 3.1?? :lol:

and yeah, whatever problems you have with vista, tell me. Just wondering what they could be.

I realized the mistake, however I'm not exactly on a first name basis with everyone here, so forgive me if I misspell a name.

I realized the mistake, however I'm not exactly on a first name basis with everyone here, so forgive me if I misspell a name.

if you realized the mistake... you know there's an edit button next to your post...

it's not hard to figure out how to spell my name, just look where i've posted in a topic and you can see it well enough. You don't see me mistaking everyone's names now do you? <_<

Anyway, back to the topic of downgrading. Really, if i suggested linux in this topic, i was not be saying that as a DOWNGRADE. I'd be suggesting that as another option to consider. Implying that i meant that as a downgrade is just horrible, horrible logic. Just because i'm suggesting it in a topic that talks about downgrading does not necessarily mean that i am suggesting it as a downgrade. -_-

if you realized the mistake... you know there's an edit button next to your post...

it's not hard to figure out how to spell my name, just look where i've posted in a topic and you can see it well enough. You don't see me mistaking everyone's names now do you? <_<

Anyway, back to the topic of downgrading. Really, if i suggested linux in this topic, i was not be saying that as a DOWNGRADE. I'd be suggesting that as another option to consider. Implying that i meant that as a downgrade is just horrible, horrible logic. Just because i'm suggesting it in a topic that talks about downgrading does not necessarily mean that i am suggesting it as a downgrade. -_-

I meant I noticed the mistake after you had already posted.

Secondly I thought that was the correct name, if you're going to chew me up over it, that's pretty pointless as it isn't an insult. It's just a misreading of a name.

Thirdly, the topic title is "In need of a downgrade," therefore by suggesting Linux, you'd be saying Linux is a downgrade, because you're recommending it in a topic about downgrading, I see no "horrible logic," there.

Lastly, if you're going to challenge my logic, and spelling of something, I think you should consider using better grammar yourself, as when "I," stands alone it's capitalized. I'm not saying we all need perfect grammar, but I really think if you're going to challenge mine, you might as well capitalize your I's...

I meant I noticed the mistake after you had already posted.

Secondly I thought that was the correct name, if you're going to chew me up over it, that's pretty pointless as it isn't an insult. It's just a misreading of a name.

Thirdly, the topic title is "In need of a downgrade," therefore by suggesting Linux, you'd be saying Linux is a downgrade, because you're recommending it in a topic about downgrading, I see no "horrible logic," there.

Lastly, if you're going to challenge my logic, and spelling of something, I think you should consider using better grammar yourself, as when "I," stands alone it's capitalized. I'm not saying we all need perfect grammar, but I really think if you're going to challenge mine, you might as well capitalize your I's...

Ok well you noticed afterwards thats fine.

I don't really care, but i sorta get annoyed at people mispelling my name. No offense.

The point of the topic is downgrading to XP, if i suggested linux, it'd go something like this:

Perhaps you should try linux instead?

I do not intend to imply that linux is a downgrade. I'd be saying it as another option. Linux itself can not be considred a downgrade or upgrade to windows at all. An upgrade refers to getting a newer version of a certain piece of software. Downgrade means to use an older version of such software. Therefore, linux could not be a downgrade in this topic even IF i suggested it. And in any case, really, you think i'd imply linux as a downgrade, thereby infering something of less quality then vista? I highly doubt it. You interpreting it as me implying that linux is a downgrade of vista, is just a misunderstanding on your part.

Yes i do know that I is capitalized by itself. But its spelled exactly the same, and does not change any meaning or anything. Mispelling something makes a bit more of a difference. Really, who cares if you don't capitalize your I's? If you mispell something, it actually makes a different on what the meaning is.

Ok well you noticed afterwards thats fine.

I don't really care, but i sorta get annoyed at people mispelling my name. No offense.

The point of the topic is downgrading to XP, if i suggested linux, it'd go something like this:

Perhaps you should try linux instead?

I do not intend to imply that linux is a downgrade. I'd be saying it as another option. Linux itself can not be considred a downgrade or upgrade to windows at all. An upgrade refers to getting a newer version of a certain piece of software. Downgrade means to use an older version of such software. Therefore, linux could not be a downgrade in this topic even IF i suggested it. And in any case, really, you think i'd imply linux as a downgrade, thereby infering something of less quality then vista? I highly doubt it. You interpreting it as me implying that linux is a downgrade of vista, is just a misunderstanding on your part.

Yes i do know that I is capitalized by itself. But its spelled exactly the same, and does not change any meaning or anything. Mispelling something makes a bit more of a difference. Really, who cares if you don't capitalize your I's? If you mispell something, it actually makes a different on what the meaning is.

A non capitalized "I" isn't even a word, look in the dictionary, you won't find it. If you're going to go and correct me, after I already said I noticed the mistake, and apologized, then you should not be such a hypocrite as to make grammatical mistakes yourself.

Also reread your post there, I think someone made a few mistakes themselves there.

will you stop.

I don't recall you being involved, however I agree there's nothing more to discuss on the matter, but at the same time Smartrutter7 over reacted to a simple mistake, to go as far as to insult someone saying they have no logic.

If he had just pointed out the mistake instead then I doubt I'd have even bothered making a response.

However I do believe you don't need to step in, as saying "will you stop." Just makes you sound like you enjoy getting the last word, and more than likely will just cause things to go on more.

As for downgrading to XP, if you HAVE A disk, I believe you can either put an XP hard drive into your computer, or install XP and have two operating systems, Vista and XP. I would consult an online guide to doing so though if you are REALLY keen on performing this action.

I personally would suggest just sticking it out for the time being, or even ironically installing Linux as Smartrutter7 was going to suggest as an alternative to downgrading.

I don't recall you being involved, however I agree there's nothing more to discuss on the matter, but at the same time Smartrutter7 over reacted to a simple mistake, to go as far as to insult someone saying they have no logic.

If he had just pointed out the mistake instead then I doubt I'd have even bothered making a response.

However I do believe you don't need to step in, as saying "will you stop." Just makes you sound like you enjoy getting the last word, and more than likely will just cause things to go on more.

As for downgrading to XP, if you HAVE A disk, I believe you can either put an XP hard drive into your computer, or install XP and have two operating systems, Vista and XP. I would consult an online guide to doing so though if you are REALLY keen on performing this action.

I personally would suggest just sticking it out for the time being, or even ironically installing Linux as Smartrutter7 was going to suggest as an alternative to downgrading.

SmartRutter never said to get linux. and you telling people to get better grammar is rude.

SmartRutter never said to get linux. and you telling people to get better grammar is rude.
I do not intend to imply that linux is a downgrade. I'd be saying it as another option.

Also I consider saying someone has no logic as ruder, plus you obviously didn't read the entire topic, as he corrected me on a spelling mistake FIRST.

Also I consider saying someone has no logic as ruder, plus you obviously didn't read the entire topic, as he corrected me on a spelling mistake FIRST.

Ok, I get

I still think your rude and Smarty is right

Ok, I get

I still think your rude and Smarty is right

Now you're just trying to be a smart ass, not to mention just making statements with no fact behind them. I'm trying to get back on topic here, so I'll ignore you. For the record, I wasn't trying to offend Smartrutter7 with the original mistake either, however saying I have no logic is insulting on it's own. I apologized if I offended him already, and I do it again now, as I really have nothing against him, I just disagree with him at times, which isn't a problem.

I searched and located this bit of information for you regarding the matter:

"Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Lenovo are among the vendors offering an XP Pro recovery disc to customers who want to convert a Vista machine to XP Pro. Fujitsu goes even further, including an XP disc in the box with new Vista laptops and tablet PCs. So check with your PC vendor, to see if they will provide a Vista-to-XP recovery disk at low or no cost."

So why not contact them and ask for such a disc, you might be in luck.

Also they included these steps if you have an original XP disc:

* Insert your Windows XP install/recovery CD and restart your computer.

* Install Windows XP normally, providing either the product key that came with the disk, or the one you got from Microsoft customer support. If the installer warns you that another copy of Windows is already installed, don't worry. Remember, this install will wipe out your existing Vista installation.

* Activate your copy of Windows XP when it prompts you to do so. If you run into the "already activated" problem, you can use the option to activate by phone.

* If you own Vista Business or Vista Ultimate, explain to the rep that you want to use your Downgrade Rights to install XP Pro.

* If you own Vista Home Basic/Premium, or you are installing XP Home Edition, don't mention ANYTHING about Vista. Just give the rep your XP product key (not the Vista key), explain that you are installing XP on a new hard drive, and tell them you need to activate.

Remember to try at your own risk.

Edited by Cynthia

Oh, I forget to mention, be sure to back up all your important files before performing this. I recommend doing so at least twice, on two separate devices, just in case.

Edited by Cynthia