Nintendo's Stand on Fandom

Alex95

Earlier today, Dreammix's Justin Sink announced that he had to take down his Zelda Maker project and start again because Nintendo made a claim that he was using their assets. While not entirely wrong, there are plenty of other sites and fans (like that HD Super Mario 64 remake) that get some backlash from Nintendo just by being fans. It's stupid really. As long as neither of us get profit from it, I don't see why we can't make something to show our love for their series. Here's that video Justin did to confirm he's still working on something, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2y9Q706SLA

There are plenty of other websites out there (like SF for example) that are built around a Nintendo world or at least use them in part. I don't know, I felt like I needed to rant, but what do you guys think about it?

i think nintendo is getting like this because theyre almost like the only company that can get away with making their own games without having them on pc or anything. they think of fangames and emulators as like the biggest threat in the world cause they think people will just eventually never buy their consoles anymore i think

Yeah, that is kind of dumb. Although, sadly, it's also understandable, because look at things like Disney Infinity's "Squid Wars." It's blatantly a Splatoon copy.

squid wars didnt use any assets or brand names from nintendo so its not the same thing

I'm not surprised that something like this has happened, considering what they have already done (removing TAS/hack videos, shutting down that Pokemon party at PAX Prime, the Nintendo Creators' Program, etc.)

i dont think thats enough. there was no stealing, and games copy games all the time. theres nothing wrong with it...like mighty no 9 and yooka laylee arent gonna get lawsuits either

Mighty No. 9 and Yooka Laylee do have input from the original creators, though, so that's not quite the same.

Mighty No. 9 and Yooka Laylee do have input from the original creators, though, so that's not quite the same.

I'm not sure that really matters...I'm pretty sure the companies have creative control over the series/franchise, not necessarily the people who were employed at those companies that actually had the most influence over the game designs. Edited by Severian

With the Mighty No. 9 and Yooka-Laylee situation, there's a law or something that says companies can't file lawsuits when former employees make spiritual successors to their games. This wasn't always the case, take for example the TearRing Saga "Emblem Saga Lawsuit". Granted, it was kind of the name, but even after the name change, Nintendo still tried to prevent the game from getting released.

With the Mighty No. 9 and Yooka-Laylee situation, there's a law or something that says companies can't file lawsuits when former employees make spiritual successors to their games. This wasn't always the case, take for example the TearRing Saga "Emblem Saga Lawsuit". Granted, it was kind of the name, but even after the name change, Nintendo still tried to prevent the game from getting released.

Yeah, but these are all from people in companies. I'm talking about the fans! The ones who don't make a profit from doing something like this. (Usually)

Really, this sort of stuff never truly bothers me or gets me upset at Nintendo, it's within their legal jurisdiction and right to file lawsuits against this sort of thing so whatever.

I understand why this would upset others though.

I didn't realize there was a law for situations like that. Thanks for letting me know!

I'm not surprised that something like this has happened, considering what they have already done (removing TAS/hack videos, shutting down that Pokemon party at PAX Prime, the Nintendo Creators' Program, etc.)

Well, the Pokemon part wasn't so much NIntendo as it was the Pokemon Company.

They do operate a bit outside of Nintendo's satellite.

You're right on the mark about the others however.

.....there's a law or something that says companies can't file lawsuits when former employees make spiritual successors to their games.

And THIS... is not a spiritual successor!

https://youtu.be/ggUBb95kSi4?t=2m20s

Look at that octorock, and tell me it's not an octorock. Look at that moblin, and tell me it's not a moblin. Even if the sprites were original, it wouldn't change the fact that the game was straight up copying Nintendo's enemy designs. Nintendo had every right to shut it down.

I'm glad that the creator is continuing the project with his own character designs instead of stealing from Nintendo. Sure, it still looks like a Zelda rip-off, but you couldn't mistake it for an actual Zelda game now.

https://youtu.be/S2y9Q706SLA?t=1m40s

Really, this sort of stuff never truly bothers me or gets me upset at Nintendo, it's within their legal jurisdiction and right to file lawsuits against this sort of thing so whatever.

I understand why this would upset others though.

Agreed. I never get worked up over this. If I must be honest, I think the thread title is a tad misleading.

And THIS... is not a spiritual successor!

https://youtu.be/ggUBb95kSi4?t=2m20s

Look at that octorock, and tell me it's not an octorock. Look at that moblin, and tell me it's not a moblin. Even if the sprites were original, it wouldn't change the fact that the game was straight up copying Nintendo's enemy designs. Nintendo had every right to shut it down.

I'm glad that the creator is continuing the project with his own character designs instead of stealing from Nintendo. Sure, it still looks like a Zelda rip-off, but you couldn't mistake it for an actual Zelda game now.

https://youtu.be/S2y9Q706SLA?t=1m40s

Seeing as the original idea was based on Zelda, he still has the scripts and enemy commands to use. He wouldn't just not use them. He even states in the description for the video that the inspiration is clear.

Agreed. I never get worked up over this. If I must be honest, I think the thread title is a tad misleading.

I didn't know what else to call it :P

People sure do love to overreact to Nintendo defending their franchise copyrights, you know like Square-Enix did with the Fanmade Chrono Trigger sequel and everyone backed SE's choice on that one.

Just because its Nintendo people get into a fit lmao.

People sure do love to overreact to Nintendo defending their franchise copyrights, you know like Square-Enix did with the Fanmade Chrono Trigger sequel and everyone backed SE's choice on that one.

I remember this getting a ton of ire from the fanbase when it happened. And the Chrono Trigger DS port attracted far more on top of that just to further prevent the fanmade sequel from coming out.

No matter which video game company it is, it will get shit on for making decisions that ultimately violate their copyright. I can understand it but at the same time I don't feel like small fan projects warrant shut down notices. I don't even think they're gonna be losing sales unless they make the game themselves, because for instance with the Chrono Trigger sequel nobody was gonna get it unless they already have Chrono Trigger.

And also the Saint Seiya fan game.

If anything, non-profit fangames can probably increase the official games publicity... Thus more cash for Nintendo.... At least that's how I see it.

alternately, we can all just play Touhou fangames, since ZUN is so lenient about it.

Actually, there were more people getting upset over that fan-made CT sequel getting shut down than there were people supporting SE's decision.

Nintendo gets more free passes than most game companies out there.

Well, the Pokemon part wasn't so much NIntendo as it was the Pokemon Company.

They do operate a bit outside of Nintendo's satellite.

You're right on the mark about the others however.

Nintendo owns the Pokemon Company nonetheless, so I counted the Pokemon Party getting shut down because of that. Edited by BLS

Sorry, but I would react this way to any company with the recent policies that Nintendo have went with. It just so happens that they are currently one of the worst when it comes to this.

I disliked when Square did that to the fangame CT game, and I didn't really see anyone who thought otherwise. I'm not going to defend anti-consumerism no matter where it comes from.

Edited by Tryhard