Special Edition or Download

Radiance

Ok so I've been saving up for the release of this game. After the direct I heard of a special edition that cost 80 bucks. Now the thing is that I like to download my games but this deal includes all of the routes plus bonus free stuff since it will be 80 for downloading three paths without the art book and pouch. Idk what to decide so if anyone can give me an opinion about what is better that would be nice. I have 3 months so I got time for your answers.

So here's the thing about special edition:

ALL THREE GAMES ARE ON THE SAME CARTRIDGE.

That's the real draw here. No long downloads, no taking up memory card space. No need to switch cartridges. Everything is right there in one package.

The art book may be good, or it may not be, the case is a nice bonus, but this is the only way to get all three games, or, even just two games on the same cartridge.

The memory cards for handhelds are a nightmare (vita is even worse), and as such, it's always best to go with physical copies when you get the chance. This way there aren't any extra hassles.

Also, these will probably be absurdly rare, and may be worth a lot in the future.

And considering that unlike other special editions, you're just paying what it would cost to buy the games anyway (the price is exactly the same, and unlike steam, don't count on nintendo to put this game on sale), this is a really good deal.

Edited by dragonlordsd

I prefer having the physical copy myself just because digital downloads make me nervous but the special edition also has the added bonus of not having to wait for downloads not counting the third path. If you can get your hands on a special edition preorder I say go for it, but if you really prefer having the digital copy you're really not at any loss by doing so if you're not really into the artbook or pouch. If it works like the JP version, you can pick your initial route in the game, but you will have to wait for download times which is troublesome but always overcome by patience.

Im getting the special edition BECAUSE of the art book. And I think its a pretty fair price for all three games , the bag thing & the art book.

Agreed.

I've been disappointed by special edition art books in the past. I hope this one will be really cool, but even if it isn't, there's plenty of other reasons.

Yeah having everything in one chip is cool. Who says no to free stuff? This version has invisible available from start instead of a month later. I'm gonna see if I can preordered from gamestop tomorrow. Only have cash and a best buy ain't close. I've been a fan since GBA and I'm gonna send my wallet to the shadow realm

Edited by Alvic

I have a question.

If I purchase any of the DLC on one 3ds will it still be unlocked if I use a different 3ds or would I have to purchase it again (assuming I am using the same game card.)

also if I happen to have a physical copy of both birthright and conquest and I where to buy revelations would it be unlocked on both or only one (assuming I am using the same ds)

I'm gonna send my wallet to the shadow realm

Your tribute is accepted

I like the special edition, because it's a hard copy of the game and it's all three at once, which I'd like to call the ideal FE Fates experience.

Special Edition. I prefer physical copies over downloads. Saves a TON of block space, especially with 3 games and I won't have to switch out game cards since everything's on one card.

Plus, I love art books. If a special edition includes an artbook I'll get it.

I have a question.

If I purchase any of the DLC on one 3ds will it still be unlocked if I use a different 3ds or would I have to purchase it again (assuming I am using the same game card.)

also if I happen to have a physical copy of both birthright and conquest and I where to buy revelations would it be unlocked on both or only one (assuming I am using the same ds)

DLC is saved on the 3DS and synced to your NNID, though if by "Use another 3DS" you mean transfer your data to a new one, then yes, you'll keep your DLC, or at least be given the option to redownload it for free once you set up your NNID.

As for the physical copies, if you're able to buy DLC, why would you pay an extra $20 and miss out on the extra items having multiple routes gives you?

Both download and the Special Edition have their pros and cons. Currently, Fates Special Edition preorder has been sold out in various websites and it's unknown if Nintendo will have plans to restock them or not (but considering how the Fire Emblem games popularity has rivaled Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, it's very likely that they will). You can also physically visit a nearby Gamestop to reserve a preorder as well. And it's also nice to have all three routes in a single cartilage.

Downloading Fire Emblem Fates will require you to replace your SD card since it will require a lot of space (36 blocks, or at least a 16GB SD card formatted) and you don't need to worry about the physical cartilage. However, getting all three of the routes will take a LONG time (trust me, I've downloaded Lord of Magna in my 3DS and it took about 30-45 minutes) and requires a lot of patience.

This version has invisible available from start instead of a month later.

This is incorrect. Even if you buy the SE, you stil need to wait until IK is released to play it.

-------------------

I, personally, prefer to download games rather than have physical copies. You have no idea how easily I lose DS game cartridges, so I find downloading to be easier. That said, I can understand why people would prefer physical copies.

So here's the thing about special edition:

ALL THREE GAMES ARE ON THE SAME CARTRIDGE.

That's the real draw here. No long downloads, no taking up memory card space. No need to switch cartridges. Everything is right there in one package.

The art book may be good, or it may not be, the case is a nice bonus, but this is the only way to get all three games, or, even just two games on the same cartridge.

The memory cards for handhelds are a nightmare (vita is even worse), and as such, it's always best to go with physical copies when you get the chance. This way there aren't any extra hassles.

Also, these will probably be absurdly rare, and may be worth a lot in the future.

And considering that unlike other special editions, you're just paying what it would cost to buy the games anyway (the price is exactly the same, and unlike steam, don't count on nintendo to put this game on sale), this is a really good deal.

For this is why that the special edition packs are gone quickly.

Which is no deal. Which your better off getting a single game and downloading the other two paths. But...lack of artbook will make it hard to get at a reasonable price at third party selling sites like amazon and e-bay.

Especially, since Japan's Special Edition charged 120+ dollars aka 12250+ JPY.

Special Edition. I prefer physical copies over downloads. Saves a TON of block space, especially with 3 games and I won't have to switch out game cards since everything's on one card.

Plus, I love art books. If a special edition includes an artbook I'll get it.

If they are out...what other choice do we have since we don't want to have to buy this later for scalping prices if Nintendo stops making them.

Both download and the Special Edition have their pros and cons. Currently, Fates Special Edition preorder has been sold out in various websites and it's unknown if Nintendo will have plans to restock them or not (but considering how the Fire Emblem games popularity has rivaled Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, it's very likely that they will). You can also physically visit a nearby Gamestop to reserve a preorder as well. And it's also nice to have all three routes in a single cartilage.

Downloading Fire Emblem Fates will require you to replace your SD card since it will require a lot of space (36 blocks, or at least a 16GB SD card formatted) and you don't need to worry about the physical cartilage. However, getting all three of the routes will take a LONG time (trust me, I've downloaded Lord of Magna in my 3DS and it took about 30-45 minutes) and requires a lot of patience.

...And having to move all of the data off of your old SD Card to your bigger one will make this worthwhile.

...Or could just get one of the two carts and downloading the other two paths. But...no artbook from either option still hurts. Better get it off of a third party site like Amazon or something.

Edited by Princess_Elise

I already have a 32 GB micro sd. The special edition is really sweet. Don't wanna waste much space downloading. Either way it's to late I already pre ordered the special. So I won't have money to download digital. Gonna keep the game chip in my 3ds.

I already have a 32 GB micro sd. The special edition is really sweet. Don't wanna waste much space downloading. Either way it's to late I already pre ordered the special. So I won't have money to download digital. Gonna keep the game chip in my 3ds.

you should be okay then, as long as you don't have a ton of downloads.

It's 25k blocks for Nohr+Hoshido, and another 12k for Revelations.