Memorization tips?

Rapier

Yay, yet another self-help topic. Might as well open a psychology phd stand in this forums.

As the title says, I'm having a lot of issues memorizing stuff. I find myself needing to memorize a lot of terms and definitions, only to remember half of them and forget the rest. It... simply doesn't sink in, and this is frustrating. Are there good memorization methods? I've heard that drawing maps help, but I've yet to learn how to do it. Whenever I try to summarize something for quicker reviews, I tend to write a lot and make it confusing. I'm definitely not good with organizing my thoughts.

I used to rely on learning the logic behind something in order to memorize, but this doesn't always work for the content I study.

First off, do you get a better time remembering things by hearing them ? seeing them ?

If hearing is good enough, you should try to focus on the person who said it. The tone, the gestures, the looks... Even focus on what people around you are doing : did they say something that burned into your memory ? Did they raised an objection ? a question ? Did they say somthing funny or embarrassing ? Usually, you may remember trivial things over important ones. But that may lead you to remember about more important stuff. However, that recquires you to be both attentive on the subject and on your entourage, surroundings.

I you remember things by seeing them, first, look at where each word is situated on the page/board/picture... Indeed mapping things is easy to remember things (as I said before, trivial things are best to remember) Have you ever tried to make reminders ? If so then I suggest you remember where you write stuff over what you wirte. And sometimes, if you make blocks of definitions, then focus on one block and make sure to remember its position. Remember things if they are written a linear way is more difficult thant making blocks because again, you can "map" things.

Also try recording your own voice. It is weird but reading things makes you remember how it is written and makes you remember saying it. The weirder you pronounce it, the more it will leave a mark. And try to change your tone every time yousay it. I never really tried but when I did it left me quite the impression. Furthermore, it's your own voice. So you remember your voice and physcically how your mouth moved.

Also, try to draw with your friends. Be it silly stick figures or a breath-taking scene, you may both map and remember funny things you did or say with your friends.

And try make memory games with your friends. Some of my friends who don't remember formulas as well as I do, made a game saying :

"In my head I did forgot ..." then insert whatever theorem or definition you think about, give it to someone else who also write a theorem, then read all the list from top to bottom. So it plays like "cadavre exquis" in French, or rougly translated "exquisite cadaver/corpse" if you heard about it, or if it even exists outside France, with a memory side to it. If you miss anything say all the list from the beginning. Insert any bet to more challenge.

And usually I remember something embarrasing or funny or if there is any emotioneasier. Just don't try hurting your ego too much !

Recite it out loud to yourself. Change up the order that you do it too. Have someone else practice quiz you. Quiz yourself if need be.

If you can't memorize specific definitions, then just try to get a general understanding of it. If you find that you can get a good understanding of it, then add to your definition until you've memorized the whole specific definition and complete understand what it means.

Luxian above has already mentioned pretty neat tips that I used back in my High School days, Namely producing the words to yourself in a weird way and drawing pictures of the subject/object that help you to memorize more stuff from the subject itself.

The whole idea of mind map/drawing map is to use organized key words that help you to remember more from the context. There are lot’s of examples of how you could organize the words in the drawing map. You can always google for simple examples to take a grasp of the whole organizing thing.

One of the most important components in memorizing stuff – If not the most important, in my opinion, at least – Is good night sleep. The needed sleep varies by person, but 8-9 hour regular sleep should already help you a lot. The sleep let’s your brains to compartmentalize the stuff you’ve studied during the day better, resulting better memorization.

• 5 weeks later...

There are a wide variety of tools available to improve your retention of data--oftentimes, it is more a matter of finding the tool(s) that work for you and are appropriate to the task in question, rather than one that "always works" or whatever. I've got several years experience working on this subject, as I was employed as a tutor at one of the community colleges in my area. I'll list a few basic methods below, but if you want additional help, it will be necessary to know a few additional things: what is the subject in question, and what is your "learning style"? (Link is to the VARK questionnaire, which will help you determine what way/s you get the most information from.)

1. Make flashcards. Seriously. This method can be customized for almost every learning style, which makes it very flexible. Practice with them regularly--at least once a day. If you can, get someone else to help you practice as well, now and then.

2. Create a concept-web. Start with a central circle, and put a fundamental idea at the center. Divide that idea into smaller, more focused pieces; give each distinct piece its own circle, connected to the center circle. Continue this process until you can't split any of the ideas up anymore. If you run out of space, you can tape a new piece of paper to the old one, or you can start fresh, 1-2 layers down--your original fundamental idea just happened to be TOO big, which is fine!

3. Get a study-buddy and talk to them about what you've learned, covering as many details as you can without notes. If you don't have anyone in your class to talk to, ask a relative, friend, roommate, or significant other to help. If you don't have any of those available, you can still talk to a pet or even just yourself, though interactivity is better if you can get it.

4. If you're trying to memorize a particular fact (e.g. the structure of a molecule, the name of an element, a property of logarithms, a particular scene from a story), go through a step-wise recording process. First, read the original text, whatever it may be. Then, without writing anything down, structure this knowledge in your head using your own concepts, with whatever methods you prefer (think of an image, a sentence or equation, a sound, a physical action, etc.) Once you have this form in your head, describe it to yourself using spoken words, listening carefully to each thing you say--and don't be shy about using colloquial or personal terms. Make any corrections you need, then actually write/draw/depict it in your notes. Then, describe it aloud again, purely by looking at the thing you just wrote/drew/etc. Finally, compare the original text to your words/drawings/etc. and compare how the two present the same information in different ways.

5. Take careful notes, if you can. If you find you can't keep up with the notes, try to see if your teacher/professor will record, or allow you to record, their lectures so you can watch/listen to them later.

6. Take pictures of any words, drawings, graphs, etc. that your teacher/professor uses (make sure your professor is okay with you doing so--not all of them are).

There are other, additional features you can employ to enhance or extend most of the above methods, but those are decent, practical things you can do to improve your retention of information. Once you take the VARK questionnaire, either share your results here in the thread, or PM me and I'll go over additional methods tailored more specifically to your learning style and the subject(s) in question.

Edit:
Also, a SUPER IMPORTANT thing to do, which isn't specifically related to memorization but which will help (rereading Cerberus's post reminded me of it): in math and science classes, always make sure you have completely read, at least once, the chapter you're about to learn in class. Do not wait for class-time to be your first exposure to the material. By reading the material in advance, you will cut down on the "newness" factor and be able to ask focused questions much more quickly--you'll *know* what you don't understand ahead of time (even if that's "everything!" :P). People generally already know to do this in their literature classes--how can you talk about the events of a chapter you haven't read?--but somehow it doesn't get applied to math/science classes.

Edited by amiabletemplar

A good tip for flash cards is to put a small pencil mark on the card when you get it right. When you get it right "x" times in a row, put it in a new pile so you can focus on the crap you struggle with.

That's a great idea I've never heard before! I'll make sure to remember it for future questions.

Put them into context. Unless you can apply something to what to you know, it's going to be hard to remember it.

This is the same advice I would give, memorizing blindly will get you nowhere, application of concepts always helps.