Where do you get your music from?

BlueLeafeon

Fan game music sources?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What music do you play in your hacks/fan projects?

• My own custom tunes
    • Tunes borrowed from others
    • The original FE6/7/8 etc music
    • Music taken from other games
    • Other

Okay so, I really have no idea where to put this topic, so I'll leave it here since it IS a "question." The mods can move it to wherever they desire, if this isn't the right place.

I'm basically wondering exactly what people do for music in their hacks/fan games.

I myself have absolutely no musical know-how--I can sing like a pro but I couldn't tell you what notes I'm singing. In my ancient reskin hack I reused FE8's music, and my abandoned project from later on used music from other games.

I know people who swear by "if you find it, you can use it, and probably nobody will complain", but personally I'd recommend with sticking to music from the original game's series (so if you wanted a Mario Galaxy song in your SMW hack, that probably makes sense, and if you want to use music from FE6/7/8 in your FEXNA game, sure, why not?) or, better yet, music that the creators (EDIT: or associated lawyers, as in the case I say riiight...now) have explicitly stated is available for people to use. It's why I'm always looking out for classical music whose composers have been dead for decades, and why I like to use Touhou Project music, and why this list should definitely be worth looking into!

(People who can compose their own stuff, I'm envious of them, but for the rest of us, I think this is a good balance between being safe and still having a quality product)

Edited by 47948201

I know people who swear by "if you find it, you can use it, and probably nobody will complain", but personally I'd recommend with sticking to music from the original game's series (so if you wanted a Mario Galaxy song in your SMW hack, that probably makes sense, and if you want to use music from FE6/7/8 in your FEXNA game, sure, why not?) or, better yet, music that the creators (EDIT: or associated lawyers, as in the case I say riiight...now) have explicitly stated is available for people to use. It's why I'm always looking out for classical music whose composers have been dead for decades, and why I like to use Touhou Project music, and why this list should definitely be worth looking into!

(People who can compose their own stuff, I'm envious of them, but for the rest of us, I think this is a good balance between being safe and still having a quality product)

You're definitely taking every caution necessary when it comes to copyrights. I applaud that.

That is a really great source. Thank you for the link. I bookmarked it and shall use it in the future. Probably. Unless I decide to use FE8's entire soundtrack. Or if I actually care enough to somehow learn how to make my own music. Which I doubt I will.

I've decided that I would make my own music... 8 tracks and 12 notes played at the same time is max? It seems like I can do a little of everything, but I'm not particularly GOOD at anything.

It's actually 16 tracks 12 notes.

Wait, what? I thought that FE7/FE8 hack you and Brendor came up with "only" expanded it to 12 tracks, 11 notes at a time? If it's really 16 tracks...

(Starts rummaging back through the rejected midi bin.)

Edited by Wayward Winds

That's why I asked about it. But that's even better. That's awesome.

BTW Agro, you might know this because you seem to do a lot of messing with music: is there anything out there where I can hear what the music would sound like before I bother trying to convert it over?

Edited by Augestein

Wait, what? I thought that FE7/FE8 hack you and Brendor came up with "only" expanded it to 12 tracks, 11 notes at a time? If it's really 16 tracks...

(Starts rummaging back through the rejected midi bin.)

Yeah, 16 tracks and 12 notes. 11 notes of you wanna be a stickler about sound effects not cutting out your music, but that's only for footsteps on the map and battle sound effects.

That's why I asked about it. But that's even better. That's awesome.

BTW Agro, you might know this because you seem to do a lot of messing with music: is there anything out there where I can hear what the music would sound like before I bother trying to convert it over?

I don't know of any because I never use any, but there are programs that exist.

Yeah, 16 tracks and 12 notes. 11 notes of you wanna be a stickler about sound effects not cutting out your music, but that's only for footsteps on the map and battle sound effects.

Soooo Agro.... I have the "12 track" patch applied... does this mean it's actually 16 tracks? Do I need to apply another patch?

Or can anyone else tell me what the deal is with that? CAUSE THAT IS AWESOME

Edited by Avril Lavigne

Ohhh right, I forgot to update to SF version. No wonder you're all scratching your heads. Yeah, for the 3rd time, it's 16 tracks and 12 sounds/notes.