Weighing my Options: Get a 3DSXL or a New3DSXL?

Elieson

I recommend the New 3DS XL over the old 3DS XL. For one, Xenoblade is an exclusive. Two, amiibo support is built-in and many recent and upcoming games have some kind of amiibo compatibility. The difference in speed is incredibly noticeable when playing Smash Bros and Monster Hunter 4 U, as the original has to shut down everything running in the background whereas the new one does not. The 3D on the N3DS is also usable, since it has facial tracking. For people who had trouble seeing the 3D before on the XL, the N3DS pretty much assures you'll be able to enjoy it unless you literally cannot see 3D effects. The battery life is better, the nub is... actually pretty bad and absolutely not a 2nd control stick like people thought it might be. The power button on the N3DS is kind of in an awkward spot and the mini SD requires you to unscrew the back to remove, but it actually has a way to become a networked machine for your PC to connect to without having to open up the system.

I found this thread kind of amusing because I'm considering updating my 3DSXL for an N3DSXL, but not really for the reasons you mentioned. The biggest highlights of the newer system, to me, are the faster processing times and the improved 3D tracking system, which is really a significant improvement. There also may be more games in the future that utilize the better processing.

I don't quite understand what the Wii U has to do with Xenoblade

The Wii U can render Wii games in HD, and since Xenoblade is already one of the best-looking Wii games it benefits a ton from that (especially menu text, but the scenic vistas too).

The N3DS XL fixes basically all problems that I had with the original XL. Like, some buttons were still hard to press or at inconvenient positions. It's difficult to describe those kinda things but the bottom line is that the new model is significantly more pleasant to use.

And of course the additional stick and superior loading times have improved the experience of playing Smash and Monster Hunter quite a bit, but people have already gone over that.

Also, my 3DS XL broke very quickly. The part that connects the two halves tore. I'm not sure if this is a common problem but from the get-go I felt like the top half was just too heavy. Meanwhile, the N3DS has held up just fine since it was released. And it does at feel a lot more durable.

The only issue I have with that thing is that if you want to do anything on the SD card, you have to get a screwdriver. And I really don't like opening up a tiny electronically device like that. Fortunately, you can exchange data without having to remove the SD card but you will probably have to open up the 3DS at least once to replace that tiny 2GB card. Also, they got rid of the switch for the wireless connection, you have to toggle it in the menu now, which I actually kinda like because I felt like that switch would eventually break anyway.

So for me there is clear recommendation to go for the New 3DS if possible. I think that it's well worth the extra costs.

Edited by BrightBow

I would just get the New 3DS XL. It has technical advantages including shorter loading times, Monster Hunter 4 has better textures, it also already has an extra circle pad built into the actual system. As far as I know Xenoblade's the only exclusive. Regardless of whether you'll play it or not I will still recommend the New 3DS XL over the old one.

If memory serves, if it IS on the VC, it's probably on the JP/EU one. I don't recall seeing it on there unless they added it at some point where I wasn't looking.

NoA hasn't uploaded any download releases for Wii games between January and August, so it's no wonder that there is a dissonance. But interestingly. Xenoblade is only downloadable in the PAL region. It's not available in Japan. At least if Wikipedia is to be believed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games_on_Wii_U_eShop

Well, whatever the situation in Japan looks like, I can confirm that it's available on the Wii U E-Shop in Europe. This shows a listing of Wii games that can be downloaded on NoE's E-Shop. Xenoblade should currently be the third game on the list:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Search/Search-299117.html?q=&faf=GAME&gst=wiiu_wiidigitaldistribution

Edited by BrightBow

SO

7ef4991541.png

https://www.wepowershop.com is a new startup site that I've ordered from already. They're doing a 30% off for users using the code TAKE30 and they already marked down their N3DSXL to like 176 or something. I'm ok foregoing the SuperMario3DLand bundle if it means that i'm essentially getting the upgraded N3DSXL for what equates to $-7 after tax.

This applies to new users, i'd suggest checking this out if you're wanting a new one and you're ok with red. Honestly, they have not too wonderful selection, but for something like this, I'll bite.

*edit*

After exploring, looks like the 30% applies to orders for what is essneitllay a kinda fairly priced Wii U and PS4 http://www.wepowershop.com/electronics/gaming.html dropping it by to like 180 with one game (SM3DW)

Edited by Elieson

I found this thread kind of amusing because I'm considering updating my 3DSXL for an N3DSXL, but not really for the reasons you mentioned. The biggest highlights of the newer system, to me, are the faster processing times and the improved 3D tracking system, which is really a significant improvement. There also may be more games in the future that utilize the better processing.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the tracking. I couldn't stand using the 3D on the original 3DS but on the New3DS the 3D works amazingly well.