So... Fates was just Rated by the ESRB

Jagged Jagen

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about when people ship other couples then??? (I don't see any big deal with it. But w/e....)

If a fan of the game ships something like, say, ryoumarx, its not a big deal, because they're fictional characters from our perspective.

But in the context of the game, these are people Eponine KNOWS, so from her perspective, she'd be shipping 'real' people. Doing something like that makes the people being shipped incredibly uncomfortable, especially you just come out of left field screaming "OMG REAL LIFE YAOIS!!!!!!! I SHIP IT XDDDDDD"

I kind of find it forgivable because Eponine is a kid, ya know? Kids make mistakes. I'd like it a whole lot more if there was some supports or just general character development where she got over this phase, though.

I agree that Eponine is not bad compared to others, but yeah. She's not someone that takes top priority in my censorship book.

Eponine and Soleil will probably be toned down because their schitch(sp?) is pretty much all they can talk about, and seeing the current insurgence of LGBT rights in videogames I imagine they will be much less exaggerated.

But if they remove the yaoi obsession from Eponine I'll be sad. It's stupid but it's funny and it reminds me of when I was 11 (sigh, good times). I'm being a hypocrit right now so feel free to criticize me.

Her shipping real yaoi couples is terrible. It's treating gay men like a fucking fetish.

Maybe I am thinking of it from my perspective. (Which is being a gay man) I don't find it funny nor do I find that her thing fetishes gay men or offends them in any way.

Maybe I am thinking of it from my perspective. (Which is being a gay man) I don't find it funny nor do I find that her thing fetishes gay men or offends them in any way.

I've talked to my friend (also a gay man) quite a bit about it after we read translated supports and yes, he was offended by it.

Different people find different things offensive. I shouldn't have been so absolute about it, I apologize.

Edit: Please make tab not select the post button.

Edited by Zerosabers

Sheesh, some of you have a very strange concept of what's acceptable for a T-rated game.

[spoiler=Stella Glow character stuff]This is Stella Glow. It's the spiritual successor to Luminous Arc, go play it if you guys are bored. However, that's not the reason why I bothered to mention it.

This is one of the units you get in the game. She's referred to as "a talking set of knockers", among other, more derogatory things centered around her breasts.

What rating is this game? T. Is Camilla anywhere near this level of reference? Hell no.

It's bad when the hot springs scene features Nonoka (the chick pictured above) with more clothes on!

If anything changes, it'll probably be the localization team's fault. I can see a couple of lines in FE Amie being altered a little for the sake of ratings, if they're being sane about it. If this turns into Tharja's Swimsuit Hour, who knows.

I've talked to my friend (also a gay man) quite a bit about it after we read translated supports and yes, he was offended by it.

Different people find different things offensive.

I know, I never said that my opinion is final. I was just stating it.

Ans sorry if I am sounding rude.

For a while now, I imagined that if Eponine was changed in localization, it would be that she was simply boy crazy instead of a yaoi fangirl. It could work because instead of fantasizing about guys in relationships with each other, she'd just be fantasizing about the guys themselves in terms of their appearances and her being with them.

For a while now, I imagined that if Eponine was changed in localization, it would be that she was simply boy crazy instead of a yaoi fangirl. It could work because instead of fantasizing about guys in relationships with each other, she'd just be fantasizing about the guys themselves in terms of their appearances and her being with them.

They could also just make her a general fan of anime/manga tropes

Not too farfetched as NoA has had a character also a fan of anime.manga in Happy Home designer iirc.

Anything is fair game after all what bizarre things we have seen in the Scramble DLCs for Awakening (Bikinis, cameras, etc)

Edited by TsubameGaeshi

Tone down her obsession, yes, but her design can honestly left as it is (although I loathe her bottom part, it's ugly), it's not what really matters at the core of a character.

You can have a character with a sexy and fanservice design and still have them to be deep and interesting.

It's true, nothing in her personality contradicts her having a sexy outfit (unlike the shy Olivia who for some reason wears a super revealing outfit) but nothing is really in favor of it either. All the other women in the royal forces (Luna, Belka, Pieri, Elfie) are wearing (mostly) modest outfits so Camilla is a bit out of place. Cleavage is fine, I don't know why battle panties are in style.

It's true, nothing in her personality contradicts her having a sexy outfit (unlike the shy Olivia who for some reason wears a super revealing outfit) but nothing is really in favor of it either. All the other women in the royal forces (Luna, Belka, Pieri, Elfie) are wearing (mostly) modest outfits so Camilla is a bit out of place. Cleavage is fine, I don't know why battle panties are in style.

You forget that Olivia is a confident dancer. Just take a gander at her supports with Maribelle.

Also looking at these references for generic units, I think we need to start a pants drive for everyone in Fates.

Sheesh, some of you have a very strange concept of what's acceptable for a T-rated game.

BlazBlue is rated T and FEFates is way lighter then this. For example on just sprites alone -

Makoto_Nanaya_(Sprite).png

mu_12_sprite_pack_by_sapphire_the_empero

Eh, that's the art direction, and I don't like it, but it doesn't affect the writing.

You forget that Olivia is a confident dancer. Just take a gander at her supports with Maribelle.

Also looking at these references for generic units, I think we need to start a pants drive for everyone in Fates.

Ah, yes... .

What's really frustrating is the generic female Revenant Knight is somewhat practical and awesome looking, while female Knights and Cavaliers are casualties to the horrid art direction.

Assuming that "Mild Suggestive themes" is a heavier sentence than regular suggestive themes, that would mean this game would have to be less suggestive than Awakening, right?

If that's the case, some content definitely probably got cut. My guess is the bath house.

EDIT: Wait, I think I got that backward. Still wouldn't be surprised if some stuff was changed/cut, though.

You got it backwards, Awakening is MILD, while FATES is SUGGESTIVE.

edit: OOps, you edit your mistake

Anyway, to add, some of you don't seem to know what teen rating means...

Xenoblade is rated T and all the females can wear thongs and tops that barely cover their tits (with the exception of Lin, who the game constantly, reminds you that she's 13)

Edited by HTakara82

Ummm, not to be picking a fight or anything, just wanting to ask something...

Why is it bad for a character in a game to ship others? Imagine if Eponine shipped straight couples instead. I don't think there would be as much of a problem or backlash.

Even in real life, isn't it common for fans to ship celebrities together? Granted that celebrities seem kind of "distant" from the fans, but they're also real people.

(Maybe I'm just biased or desensitised because it's a running gag among my friends to ship each other together)

Ummm, not to be picking a fight or anything, just wanting to ask something...

Why is it bad for a character in a game to ship others? Imagine if Eponine shipped straight couples instead. I don't think there would be as much of a problem or backlash.

Even in real life, isn't it common for fans to ship celebrities together? Granted that celebrities seem kind of "distant" from the fans, but they're also real people.

(Maybe I'm just biased or desensitised because it's a running gag among my friends to ship each other together)

I ship my friends too, but the difference between Eponine and me is that she takes her ships seriously. The child units-- barring Soleil and Shara-- in Fates are straight. Yet Eponine wants straight characters to end up in a homosexual relationship, and makes them feel uncomfortable. When I ship two of my guy friends together, I make it clear that it's a joke, and they also laugh it off as well. Hell, I remember one of them was like, "Oh yeah, you think we're cute? I think we're hella cute too!" and then picked up the other (bridal style) and started running around the park while people stared at them like they were crazy. (Although he collapsed about ~10 seconds later, because carrying a ~150 lb guy is not something you do on a regular basis.)

I understood it was a joke, since both of them were crushing on other people. But Eponine would probably take that as a legitimate ship hint, and wish for them to get together.

There's also the fact that Eponine ships people she's not close to. For instance, in Eponine/Foleo, Eponine practically approaches Foleo to fantasize about him.

Ehehe... I'm so happy... that I can be friends with a cute boy... Ehehehehe...

The men stake their lives in combat so that they may lay claim to Foleo... "Foleo is mine..." "No, he's mine..."

That's kind of creepy. And it's different from celebrities, because these are people Eponine will be fighting alongside with. People she'll see everyday.

And you don't do that with real people, especially when it doesn't match their sexual orientation (or even if it does, because that can be really unsettling, since some people don't want to come out!). It's fine to do it with fictional characters, or even celebrities, because as you've mentioned, celebrities are distant people. Your shipping actions won't affect celebrities (unless you go overboard, in which case you should stop), but they will affect people you're in close proximity with.

Edited by Minischew

So this means the skinship stays? -.-

It shouldn't belong in war games!

Same sex marriages should stay.

They can change certain characters designs to fit T rated standards.

Leave Hoshido as a peaceful, devoid of evil society. No altering their story to make them more rebellious.

That is all!

[spoiler=Stella Glow character stuff]This is Stella Glow. It's the spiritual successor to Luminous Arc, go play it if you guys are bored. However, that's not the reason why I bothered to mention it.

This is one of the units you get in the game. She's referred to as "a talking set of knockers", among other, more derogatory things centered around her breasts.

What rating is this game? T. Is Camilla anywhere near this level of reference? Hell no.

It's bad when the hot springs scene features Nonoka (the chick pictured above) with more clothes on!

If anything changes, it'll probably be the localization team's fault. I can see a couple of lines in FE Amie being altered a little for the sake of ratings, if they're being sane about it. If this turns into Tharja's Swimsuit Hour, who knows.

Mainstream games are held to a different standard as the audience isn't as niche, it's much larger. Thanks to Awakening the FE Brand is at an all time high and far more will play it than those things you listed. The ages of the audiences will differ as well taste compared to a much smaller audience who're of similar mindset.

It's why, say, Tifa in FF7:Remake isn't gonna be sex crazed or randomly tearing her clothes off. Heck, I bet her redesign will cause a lot of talk as she may very well be somewhat more covered up. After all, there are those STILL QQing about Tifa's boobs being smaller in Advent Children when they're still huge.

Her boobs were only stupid huge in the FMV's because of the Technological limitations at the time. Her art in the game itself had her boobs appear much smaller than the FMV stuff by far.

Her shipping real yaoi couples is terrible. It's treating gay men like a fucking fetish.

Well, Fates already does that....

The Cure the Gay away thing with Soleil.

Locking the only Gay and Lesbian options behind Paywalls.

The horrid personalities and being treated as "deviants" that is Zero and Shara/Syalla.

So her shipping men with men, who aren't interested in each other, can also be seen as pretty much a jab towards LBGT as well.

Edited by Pretty_Handsome

Removing references to incest and child brides wouldn't be a good thing?

There comes a point where one has to admit that the "artists and writers" are not flawless human beings, and the subculture this game is mostly geared towards (otakus) even less so. If anyone desperately needs this game to be filled with creepy and disgusting fetishes, they can play the Japanese version.

I don't understand why people want Incest undertones to be gone. It's a good way to add drama, I mean it's not like it's something that just doesn't happen in real life, and on an medieval europe-eske setting it should very common among royalty. I mean you do know the nobility was called "Blue Blood" because of a genetic disease, hemophilia, that afflicted the royal familiy back in the day (Everyone had it because they all married with cousins and siblings).

Well guess what, such a thing exist in real life. We call them "Fujoshi", though others prefer to call them "Scum of the earth". They're responsible for single-handedly destroying the credibility of a Kingdom Hearts fanbase. Eponine is a parody of them. It's just a satire.

Edited by Neofranky

I don't understand why people want Incest undertones to be gone. It's a good way to add drama, I mean it's not like it's something that just doesn't happen in real life, and on an medieval europe-eske setting it should very common among royalty. I mean you do know the nobility was called "Blue Blood" because of a genetic disease, hemophilia, that afflicted the royal familiy back in the day (Everyone had it because they all married with cousins and siblings).

In addition to being a massive taboo, the incest "undertones" (if you can even call them that) are pretty poorly handled by the narrative that it seems lazy, shoehorned in and a cheap way to get everyone to marry Kamui, who must be able to acquire all waifus because that's what Fire Emblem is now. It does not serve the narrative in an interesting way by exploring the ramifications and significance of this taboo, rather cheapens the main theme of 'family' which was advertised from the very beginning and transforms otherwise-very-familial characters, or characters with some amount of potential, into creepy waifu bait.

So yes, incest is a good way to add drama if it is done well and sparingly within a medieval setting. But it's not done well, and the game suffers for it, and the very transparent reasons as to why it may have been included inspire the sentiment that it should not have been included at all.

Edited by nordopolica

If they all had hemophilia there wouldn't be any royal families left today. Hemophilia only spread through European nobility because of Victoria and her massive amount of children who all wed into important royal families.

You are severly exaggerating the amount of incest in olden times. Sure, close cousin marriages happened from time to time, but they still needed the acceptance of the pope. There definitly was a stigma against incest in europe, it did not suddenly jump into existence the instant genetics were discovered. One of the most commonly used reasons for Annulment was 'consanguinity' or "I guess we are too closely related after all. haha my bad", which was mostly an excuse, but still seen as a valid argument. There was also a different understanding of incest than there is today. For instance, Henry VII. of England had a lot of trouble getting his son (the infamous Henry Number 8) and Catherine of Aragon married, because she had already been married to his first son. Marrying your brother-in-law was seen as incest.

I'll give you second cousins, but first cousins and aunt/nephew uncle/niece didn't happen as often as most people think (the Habsburg where an extreme example and shouldn't be seen as the norm). Incest between Brother and sister was seen as just as repulsive as it is today.

And Fates does it really, really badly anyway. It's never even used for dramatic purposes, it's just there to cater to some people's fetish.