Sakurai Interview from the 25th Anniversary Book Translated

Kirokan

Hi everyone!

There was an interview with Masahiro Sakurai (of Super Smash Bros fame) in the Fire Emblem 25th Anniversary Book. It details his history with the Fire Emblem franchise and its involvement in the Smash Bros series. I scanned the pages and sent them off to my good friends over on SourceGaming who translated it in full.

EDIT: I meant they translated Part 1 in full. Part 2 will be up shortly, and I'll post it here or another thread if this one gets too old...

I would paste it here, but I encourage people to go read it on their page to help support their site. I also made a blog post about it, providing some supplemental information on some things Sakurai talks about (namely, Roy's development and the thing about being named "ike.")

Apologies if someone posted this already, I took a quick look around and saw no one had... but feel free to delete it or whatever if someone did.

Back to translating the Fates 4Koma!

Edited by Kirokan

Great interview and I was right about some things that I had assumed in the past! Thanks for posting this.

You're welcome! Care to elaborate on what those assumptions were? Out of personal curiosity, but it may lead to some nice discussion too. : )

You're welcome! Care to elaborate on what those assumptions were? Out of personal curiosity, but it may lead to some nice discussion too. : )

The reason for counter being a common thing between all of the FE fighters outside of Robin, and the choice not to redub Marths lines in particular.

But Ike doesn’t use projectile attacks with Ragnell, either

...Did this man forget that he was going to include the 2-range shockwave attack instead of eruption, much less that the attack was a thing?

Fun to read about Sakurai's thoughts about implementing the FE characters. That timing with FE:A was fortitious and we should not take for granted that FE is always guaranteed a spot in Smash (should there be additional installments).

Interesting! Though I wish Sakurai would've gotten to talk about why he chose Ike for a newcomer in Brawl, this was a cool interview and it revealed some intriguing stuff, like Binding Blade having meant to be released before Melee rather than after.

But adding Ike and then making him RD Ike in the next Smash was the best thing this man ever did, imo. :D

Edited by Anacybele

But adding Ike and then making him RD Ike in the next Smash was the best thing this man ever did, imo. :D

The best thing would have been to be able to switch between the 4 Ike(Ranger Ike, Lord Ike, Hero Ike and Vanguard Ike) that game waste so much opportunity for costume/alternate version of characters and instead keep throwing Mii costume at us.

Edited by exizel

Interesting! Though I wish Sakurai would've gotten to talk about why he chose Ike for a newcomer in Brawl, this was a cool interview and it revealed some intriguing stuff, like Binding Blade having meant to be released before Melee rather than after.

Yeah it does seem kinda odd that he didn't talk about Ike. He talked about Marth, and Roy, and even about Robin and Lucina. But not Ike. Eh *shrugs* oh well, I guess.

And yeah, I had no idea about Binding Blade's release date, either. Interesting stuff.

I would've loved having both Hero Ike AND Vanguard Ike, but PoR Ike is a different build from his RD self, it wouldn't have worked to have him in along with RD Ike.

You can say the same for default male Robin and default female Robin, it didn't pose a problem they just made them the same height so I don't think PoR Ike would, it just mean that PoR Ike would had been taller in smash 4 than in brawl ( and I don't think there is a great height difference between both ike in smash so no one would notice).

Edited by exizel

That's true, I suppose. Ah well, I got RD Ike which was what I wanted the most, so I'm gonna just be satisfied with that since it seems unlikely at this point that Vanguard Ike will be added as an alt costume.

I recall hearing Sakurai's original plan for a projectile of Ike's was having him throw Urvan however I have nothing to confirm this other than "I heard it during the Brawl development cycle"

You know, since he said that the trends of the time are part of the factor that helps decide the characters, yet they also don't have the stipulation that they need to include the newest FE protagonist, I wonder how they decide what's popular at the time? I mean, I see a lot of people say they want Chrom, Lyn, and Anna (and now Azura, but *shrugs* eh), would that popularity carry over to Smash 5? Does that count as a trend? I doubt they'd add Chrom due to his position in Robin's Final Smash, but is there hope for Lyn and/or Anna (or Azura) for Smash 5?

I recall hearing Sakurai's original plan for a projectile of Ike's was having him throw Urvan however I have nothing to confirm this other than "I heard it during the Brawl development cycle"

lol, that would've been crazy. XD