Chapter 5 Cutscene + 15 Minutes gameplay footage in English

RidellCrimea

Xander... What I liked about Marx was that he was this stereotypical 'strong' character who was actually quite vulnerable... But some particular lines they changed for Xander, that one from the cutscene you mentioned and the line when he and Corrin reunite, make me wonder if they retconned that vulnerability? Or at least diminished its prevalence in his character? Which would be disappointing to me, personally, mostly because I liked how he deviated from that stereotype. Sakura, I think, was another character who really needed her weaker bits, more to make her strong moments really standout and to emphasize her insecurities. But like Xander, there's nothing to say they didn't change her character (or just make her strong moments stronger to compensate).

Don't the vulnerable parts mostly just come out in support conversations though? Outside of the "choice" scene, he's usually confident and stubborn to an extreme.

You're over-thinking things.

One line change doesn't signify a major alteration to an entire character. "We're your family" comes off as a tad passive-aggressive ("They aren't"), and also feels like he hasn't fully grasped the situation at hand. "What? Really? This is happening?"

"Over-thinking" is the name of the game when we go into speculation mode. ;)

Why is Marx's voice so high

I have a deeper voice than Marx that is not ok

It's not too late to put him in a Bride outfit.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Garon's line in that cutscene is just dumb.

"That wasn't even my best trap."

FUCKING WHAT

I want to know his best trap tbh. Was it getting Sumeragi into My Room?

Also, Garon's line in that cutscene is just dumb.

"That wasn't even my best trap."

FUCKING WHAT

Kind of makes you wonder who he saves his best trap for.

Garon; when you're so lazy and evil, you can't even be bothered to use your best traps on your arch nemesis.

It sounded like something from Yugioh.

"Did you just move all your archers like 20 tiles in one turn?"

"Yeah, so?"

"That's against the rules, right?"

"Screw the rules, I have money!"

New headcanon: Garon's 'room' is Buffalo Bill's Dungeon.

When Kamui and the Nohrian siblings open the doors to the Hoshidan throne room to confront Garon, they find him applying make up, using a mirror, saying to himself "Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard."

More disturbing than a slime monster? Yes, I think so.

I think we all know what Garon's 'best trap' is. Replace 'Ring' with Dragonstone and it totally works (not really...)

I really wish they put "Evil will always triumph because good is dumb." as Garon's lines.

anyway

I wish Mercer (if Ryouma is Mercer) would bring his voice down a notch for certain characters. He had the same issue when doing Jotaro (another very baritone character, though to be fair he's voiced in JP by voice god Ono D) where he used the mid-tenor chrom voice, and I like Mercer's voice, I think his voice is nice to listen to, but it'd be nice if he slightly alters his register depending on the character he plays. Lowering it slightly to match Nakamura's would be ideal, but he's already one of the best of the bunch here anyway so overall I'm still pretty happy about it. I think Sakura's voice is my favorite one, though. It's not too squeaky during normal speech, and portrays her shy and mild demeanor well but still have that potential inner toughness behind it, which suits her character. I prefer her voice here to the original. Hinoka always gets the short end of the stick, poor girl, and I'm still salty about Marx's voice being so goddamn high

Where's Roger Craig Smith where I need him that man has hella range

And english suzukaze will never live up to Ono D's legacy

I'm going to play dual audio so Ono D can whisper words into my ear

With the higher voices the big bros even sound younger... which is too bad, I liked picturing them being on the late side of 20s.

But is this really greying her character? Sure, calling people scum based on their nationality is "racist" but their grudge is justified. Nohr is still the evil empire and Hoshido the peaceful paradise. Unless Hinoka goes around kicking Nohrian puppies, her slurs are hardly disproportionate to what Nohrians did to her family. Keep in mind, they killed BOTH her parents (one recently) and kidnapped her brother.

But it's a weird direction to go in because in the Japanese script while Hinoka has every reason to hate Nohrians for what they've done to her family, she's is not overtly racist to Nohrians in general. It wasn't part of her character, actually it was actually a part of her development as a person. Hinoka mentions in her supports how she hated Nohr in the past, but since gotten over it. With the localization reintroducing it, that means it'll need to be resolved too- though I doubt it'll be written into the narrative, therefore possibly part of supports (not guaranteed) and thus she'd optionally stay racist. No one really cares if a character's rascism is justified or not, they care if they're a racist. I have no problem with Hinoka having beef against Nohr with all the trouble they've cause Hoshido, I just don't like the localization injecting a trait that wasn't there for lazy drama.

I haven't watched the full video yet, but Hinoka does call the Nohr siblings scum in the Japanese version as well according to the videos and transcripts posted here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/114533-fire-emblem-fates-conquest/73040522

As far as Chapter 6 goes this fan translation does not contain her using those precise words in the context that localization has. As for her doing it elsewhere, could you give me general location to check? The scripts really big to just read the whole thing for the use of "scum" by one particular character.

When Kamui and the Nohrian siblings open the doors to the Hoshidan throne room to confront Garon, they find him applying make up, using a mirror, saying to himself "Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard."

More disturbing than a slime monster? Yes, I think so.

Marxander just stifles a cry. "I use to worship that man."

Oh my gods, Marx, why do you sound like that? Oh gods why....He sounds like a nasal uni student who hasnt had his coffee, and hasnt shaved his neck in weeks. Not the deep and refined smoothness you expect when seeing a face that pretty. Everyone else sounds pretty good. Lobster is basically Hotter Chrom (because Mercer) and Sakura sounds a bit like Olivia. Aqua's line to Kamui as a durgin, felt a bit forced tbh. Overall, sounds ok. Just salty about Marx wow.

You-Gi-Oh Garon for the win.

"You didn't even activate my best Trap Card!!"

All I can think of how is Garon's axe having a Duel Disc instead of a blade.

Also Leo and Takumi sound great. My pervy side really wants to hear their battle grunts and groans for scientific reasons.

New headcanon: Garon's 'room' is Buffalo Bill's Dungeon.

I just swallowed a tea leaf IRL

Edited by Sunwoo

You-Gi-Oh Garon for the win.

"You didn't even activate my best Trap Card!!"

All I can think of how is Garon's axe having a Duel Disc instead of a blade.

Also Leo and Takumi sound great. My pervy side really wants to hear their battle grunts and groans for scientific reasons.

Next class in Fire Emblem is a class that throws cards.

Not even summons, but fights with cards. Kinda like Gambit.

But it's a weird direction to go in because in the Japanese script while Hinoka has every reason to hate Nohrians for what they've done to her family, she's is not overtly racist to Nohrians in general. It wasn't part of her character, actually it was actually a part of her development as a person. Hinoka mentions in her supports how she hated Nohr in the past, but since gotten over it. With the localization reintroducing it, that means it'll need to be resolved too- though I doubt it'll be written into the narrative, therefore possibly part of supports (not guaranteed) and thus she'd optionally stay racist. No one really cares if a character's rascism is justified or not, they care if they're a racist. I have no problem with Hinoka having beef against Nohr with all the trouble they've cause Hoshido, I just don't like the localization injecting a trait that wasn't there for lazy drama.

I think you are misinterpreting the point of the line. Unless Hinoka is a jerk to Nohrians for no other reason than the fact they are Nohrians, she's not being racist. She is confronting people who just assassinated her mother and intended to kidnap (from her point of view) her brother AGAIN. That's not baseless prejudice, she's being hateful towards people who wronged her. Even if in the past she got over hating Nohrians, she's reacting to a very current event.

People always hate their enemies. It's not a mark against your character to hate people who are invading your country and killing your people.

People should care if "racism" is justified or not. Do you think a character like Shinon or Jill is remotely similar to Hinoka? Heck, Oboro is actually mildly racist but I haven't heard any talk of her "greying" Hoshido.

tl;dr version: You're focusing too much on the "Nohrian" part. Had she simply said "You dastards!", like so many other Fire Emblem characters, it would convey the same thing, that she doesn't like them.

Next class in Fire Emblem is a class that throws cards.

Not even summons, but fights with cards. Kinda like Gambit.

[spoiler=FFTA2 says hi]

trickster_zpspadb6jsc.jpg

Why do Tricksters have such ridiculous range on throwing cards?

Edited by NekoKnight

I think I might be the only one who's overall satisfied with Xander's voice. But it's probably because his voice in the Smash vid set a pretty low bar for me, so anything better than that is instantly acceptable. I still very much prefer baritone Marx, but at least I'm able to cope with his English voice now. I really like his voice and delivery when he says "We're your family" this time, sounds much better than the one we heard before.

On a side note, I'm loving Takumi based on his dialogues. Leon's voice is good but also a bit too deep for him. I know I said this before but Garon is godly. And Ryoma is great even though his voice is also too deep for him, imo.

If they do that and the S-Rank weapon isn't called 'Deck of Many Things', I will be so disappointed.

I hope it isn't like my last DnD session. Character got transported into another universe.

On a side note, I'm loving Takumi based on his dialogues.

Same with Leo. I love the line "you have the devil's luck." Oh Leo, best little bro.

I think I might be the only one who's overall satisfied with Xander's voice. But it's probably because his voice in the Smash vid set a pretty low bar for me, so anything better than that is instantly acceptable. I still very much prefer baritone Marx, but at least I'm able to cope with his English voice now. I really like his voice and delivery when he says "We're your family" this time, sounds much better than the one we heard before.

On a side note, I'm loving Takumi based on his dialogues. Leon's voice is good but also a bit too deep for him. I know I said this before but Garon is godly. And Ryoma is great even though his voice is also too deep for him, imo.

Same! My expectations were pretty low for Xander still not used to that name from the Smash announcement but I was pleasantly surprised with the gameplay video. His delivery was so much better and to be honest I felt like Ryoma's was kind of lacking this time when he said 'This way!' I don't doubt his voice will be great, though, because I know Matthew Mercer is a talented voice actor. I have no problem with Xander's 'higher' voice, either.

I got a good feel from the little bros, too, and that's saying something given I detested them in the Japanese version. Maybe there's just something about seeing it in English? I don't know.

I don't mind Hoshido getting more grey injected into them, but when its stuff like making characters who didn't show many signs of racism (such as, using racially charged insults- them being scum cause they're Nohrian, rather than cause they're the enemy) more racist, I can't really like that. The random Hoshido chapter bosses (on Nohr route) were plenty racist, but the royalty weren't really depicted on that same level- like Takumi's more pissed about events. And it was a sound bit for Hinoka so I'm a little worried they're going to reuse it liberally which would....really racist up her characterization. Which could be said to grey up Hoshido, but I'd argue at the cost of that character in particular.

Honestly I don't want to be rooted in one characterization vs another but *sigh* when trying to make fanwork that's "accurate" to a character I've never had the original script vs localization knowledge like I do with FE14. But that's all the whining about it I'll do for now.

The sound bits of just laughing is pretty weird when the repeat it so close together like with Corrin,

Yeah I am agree with you on that. I'm not going to drop the axe just yet, but it does worry me some.

I didn't even notice that they left Takumi and Yukimura's names alone.

The voice acting is fine, I'll get more used to it once I hear it more since right now I'm more used to the Japanese ones, but I do think the laughing thing sounds WAY more awkward in English than in the Japanese. SO AWKWARD.

Xander's voice is higher than I expected. I wanted his voice to be deep like in the JP version, but I'll get used to it. Ryoma's voice is perfect, Hinoka's will take some getting used to, Sakura's voice is great, Takumi's is great and it works with his salt towards Corrin very nicely, Leo's is spot on, Elise's is much better, and Camilla's is pretty good. Male Corrin's voice is ok, but the delivery on "mother!" in the Mikoto death scene was weird. I wish the laughing in the English version gets better with the other characters because it sounds awkward. And Garon's voice was what I expected out of a villian as ridiculous as him and his "that wasn't even my best trap" line made me think of Yu-gi-oh!. Thanks a lot Garon.

Edited by Frelia